Old August 25th 03, 08:40 PM
Fernando

Default One of my "Diary" games

"joe" schreef in bericht
In article ,
"Fernando" wrote:

"joe" schreef in bericht
In article ,
"Fernando" wrote:

[Event "Correspondence Tournament 2003"]
[Site Http://net-chess.com]
[Date "2003.08"]
[Round "1"]
[White "fnoordam"]
[Black "ghorn"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 g6 2. Nf3 Bg7 3. d4 d6 4. Bd3 Nf6
5. O-O O-O 6. Na3 Nc6
Black should probably break in the center now. Otherwise he gets

pushed
around and has to worry about where to put his QN. I like 6...c5.

7. d5 Nb4
The first real mistake. Taking the bishop on d3 plays right into

White's
hands by removing a piece that should instead be taking part in

black's
queenside counterplay, and also by strengthening the white center.

8. Bc4
Intending to kick the N and ruin black's pawn structure after Na6

Bxa6.

8... Nxe4?

{A mistake, though giving black a pawn play, eventualy}

Obviously this loses a piece. Black could try a5!, which threatens

Nxe4
and prepares the knight maneuver Na6-c5.

9. Qe1 Nxc2 10. Nxc2 Nf6 11. Bg5 Bd7 12. Rd1 c6
13. dxc6 Bxc6 14. Ncd4 h6 15. Nxc6

{Reluctantly I played Nxc6}

It looks tempting, but it strengthens black's center considerably.

Once
he gets his queen off the d-file, he can start pushing his center

pawns.
I'd leave the d4 knight where it is, since the Bc6 doesn't threaten
anything now, and e5 is impossible in light of Nc6 bc6 Nxe5. Don't

make
the mistake of thinking Black is totally lost here. He has 2 pawns for
his piece, active pieces, and a strong center (especially after Nxc6).

15... bxc6 16. Be3

16... Ng4 may be better here, since 17. Bd4 is not playable. The queen
does need to move, but preferably to b6 or a5 (which eyes h5).

16...Qc7 17. Rc1 Qb7 18. b3 e6?
This is a tempo-waster, since Black would like to play e5 eventually.

It
also creates a hole on c5, which white later exploits. I like 18...c5,
strengthening Black's grip on the central dark squares and preparing

d5.

19. Qd2 d5 20. Bd3 Ng4
21. Bc5 Rfe8 22. Qf4 Nf6?

{Black resigned}
1-0

He doesn't have to resign just yet. He should try 22...f5!.

Concerning the last move ...

22... f5? 23.Qg3! e5 24.h3
removing a double protection of e5!
(g5 Rfe1)(Rad8 h3)(Qf7 h3 Nf6 Ne5)

I was rather expecting 22...h5 with 23.Qa4
and continuing attack on the Queen side.

As with 22... Nf6 23.Ne5! and the progression of the pawns ends.

Best regards,
Fernando

After 22...f5 23. Qg3! g5 24. Rfe1 Nf6 it looks like black still has an
attack (desperate and unlikely to succeed, but still an attack).

Indeed, that's why I expected 22... h5

Best regards,
Fernando