Old October 24th 03, 10:51 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Andy

Default Chess Funding & Sponsorship

Thanks Chris

"Chris Kantack" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
says...
Thanks for the advice so far - much appreciated.
Any more ideas ?
Please keep them coming !

Don't overlook nearby large companies and local corporations. They often
have grant money and older equipment (like laptops) just waiting for a
charity to ask for.

For example, my company has several good laptops available for any non-
profit group. I found out this past weekend of a local chess club that

was
in dire need of a laptop (for tournament pairngs) so I instructed them on
how to apply for one.

While it often isn't easy to raise money for chess, since you are looking

at
a scholastic endeavor you should have far better luck than say, someone
trying to raise money for adult tournaments.

It usually is easier to raise money for a children's event than an adult
one. I recall Erik Anderson's (America's Foundation for Chess) stating

that
he was able to raise funds for all kinds of "chess-in-the-schools"
instructors and events...but was having great difficulty finding sponsors
for the U.S. Championships.

Chris Kantack
http://home.earthlink.net/~kantack/lcdchess/home.htm
(remove the "nospampls" from my email address if replying by email)