Old March 13th 17, 10:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Rainer[_2_]

Default 100 million FICS games

On 12/03/2017 23:32, raylopez99 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 12:41:55 PM UTC-5, raylopez99
wrote:
On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 12:31:41 PM UTC-5, Andy Walker
wrote:
On 22/02/17 14:07, Offramp wrote:
That was a good idea. I have three laptops and I and doing a
blundercheck with Stockfish 8 at 15 seconds per move.

OK; if games last 30 moves, 60 ply, that's 15 minutes per game,
or, with three invocations of Stockfish, 12 games per hour on
average, ...

Setting that up allowed me to see exactly how many games there
were in this interesting collection. It is much more than I
thought: 2,518,172,389.

..., totalling ~210,000,000 hours, ~9,000,000 days, call it
25,000 years. I hope the collection is *very* interesting ...!
You need to save a factor of 1t least 10,000 somewhere. If you
buy another 297 laptops, find another nine numpties with similar
set-ups, and allow Stockfish only 1.5s/m, you're about there.

-- Andy Walker, Nottingham.

Quantum computers will solve this in seconds. Please do keep up
with the literature, even when retired...

RL

This week's Economist has a special section on how quantum computers
have gone mainstream. Chess tree to be solved soon, to xyz moves,
depending on what kind of quantum computer you have (the more qubits
you have--which is hardware related--the more moves you can search; I
can see in the future the entire chess tree to say 1000 moves deep
being completed exhaustively searched with a top-of-the-line quantum
computer).

Science fiction says Andy Walker, but the poor chap, being retired
and retarded, doesn't keep up with the literature!

RL

Rubbish. Quantum computers are able to solve a limited subset of
computational problems efficiently. Playing chess is none of these problems.

Quantum computers will contribute as much to the solution of chess as
you--nothing.

Cheers,
Rainer