Old March 13th 17, 07:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
RayLopez99

Default 100 million FICS games

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 6:07:22 AM UTC-4, Rainer wrote:
On 12/03/2017 23:32, raylopez99 wrote:

This week's Economist has a special section on how quantum computers
have gone mainstream. Chess tree to be solved soon, to xyz moves,
depending on what kind of quantum computer you have (the more qubits
you have--which is hardware related--the more moves you can search; I
can see in the future the entire chess tree to say 1000 moves deep
being completed exhaustively searched with a top-of-the-line quantum
computer).

Science fiction says Andy Walker, but the poor chap, being retired
and retarded, doesn't keep up with the literature!

RL

Rubbish. Quantum computers are able to solve a limited subset of
computational problems efficiently. Playing chess is none of these
problems.

Quantum computers will contribute as much to the solution of chess as
you--nothing.

Cheers,
Rainer

Stupidity rains down on us. You, not a programmer like me, know nothing --NOTHING--about what you speak of. If you know how RLC analog computers work, and how they can solve second-order differential equations if you set them up correctly, you'd understand that programming a general purpose quantum computer is the same. You program the quantum computer to assume the state of the chess tree, maybe with one or more qubits representing legal moves (how many legal moves are there in chess per position? That would be your maximum number of qubits). They already have a dedicated quantum computer to solve the Traveling Salesman problem, which is an O(n!) complex problem (do you even know what Big-Oh notation means? Doubtful), and the chess tree is no more difficult than that.

And oh--big Oh--I have solved such problems and even more difficult problems in my professional capacity. As part of a team, but I have done it.

RL