Old July 22nd 03, 12:31 PM
Bill Smythe

Default Brilliant Blunders (or Unintentional Brilliancies)

"dan foley" wrote:
.... Does anyone have similar anecdotes about 'unintentional
brilliancies' or 'brilliant blunders' to share? ....

I suspect just about every tournament player has stories like that.

Here's one that comes to mind for me. My opponent won the exchange
brilliantly, with a sequence of moves that eventually led to a forced fork.
Unfortunately for him, my knight (for his rook) ended up being posted on the
6th rank, where it almost single-handedly tied down his entire army for the
rest of the game. I'm glad I didn't see, far enough in advance, that my
opponent was threatening to win the exchange.

Bill Smythe