Old August 23rd 03, 11:33 AM
Default Generating tablebases, is it worth the trouble?

I was thinking about buying a 120 Gig external hdd for my notebook computer.
I was wondering how long it would take to generate a complete 6 piece set on
a 2 GHz machine with 512 MB ddr ram?

"Sir Spock" wrote in message
Well...generating will mose certainly be slower than downloading...

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in message
I know that link, but 7 GB is a little too much to download with my 256
kbit/sec ADSL-connection... (7 GB to download with +/- 26 Kbytes/sec

take around 75 hours, and apart from that my 1,5 GB free download limit

be crossed by a very large margin, so it will cost quite a lot money).
Generating will be faster I think/hope and certainly cheaper. But the
question is really: is it worth the time to generate these files?

"Ѥ " schreef in

. ca...
You can get the Nalimov 5 piece he

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in message
I'm thinking of generating 5-piece tablebases, but that will take

time even on my fairly powerfull machine. So i wonder if it is

the trouble. My main reason would be to let my pc play more

against other pc's, but will that indeed be the case when I use
or isn't there much difference noticable?