How to slow young chess players down ?!

« - | Politiken Cup 2003 »

Old June 25th 03, 06:26 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
Captain Wubba

Default How to slow young chess players down ?!

I have had students move too quickly, some of them habitually. When it
becomes a problem, I do the following with them during my lessons. I
play them a G/15 or G/20 game (I consider playing students a fairly
long game like this important on a regular basis), but use a
stopwatch. After I move, I hit their clock, and count out 10 (or 15)
seconds "One One Thousand, Two One Thousand..." and tell them they
cannot move until I get to 'Ten One thousand'. Even if they have mate
in one, they cannot move. Even if they have only one legal move, they
cannot make it until the ten seconds have passed.

I had one student with whom this was the *only* thing we did for three
consecutive lessons. He got bored, and wasn't happy, but by the end of
the third lesson, he had basically trained himself to not move so
quickly. This indeed paid off handomely in tournament play, where he
had lost several games to weaker players because he was moving
instantly.

Cheers,

Cap

"Andy" wrote in message ...
My son aged 6 is playing Chessmaster 8000 and has been progressing steadily
with his rating to reach 1018 USCF after 250+ games in 7 weeks. Yes, he's
very keen !

He's recently started playing much too fast though (over confident and under
skilled !) and losing as a result making his rating fall to 900. While I'm
sure he'll get back up and beyond, has anyone got any tips for slowing young
kids down ?

He's getting very board of me telling him to do so in his ear all the time !

Similarly he was in his first individual tournament recently and while he
did very well he was rather lucky in the early rounds again playing much too
fast. Eventually he slowed down and played much better.

Thanks,

Andy