Chess books for youngsters

Old July 27th 03, 07:12 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
Tom E.

Default Chess books for youngsters

"Andy" wrote in message
Anyone know any good chess books that might suit an 8 year old ?
Looking for something beyond simply the rules of the game but Ideally
something they could read themselves and learn about the game.

Thanks,

Andy

I would recommend Fred Reinfelds 1001 books. They are just
puzzels to solve, with a paragraph or two to describe the tactic
for that segment of puzzels.

1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
ISBN: 0-87980-111-5

1001 Brilliant Ways to Checkmate
ISBN: 0-87980-110-7

I like to solve most of these by just looking at them, but you
two can lay these positions out on the board and discuss them
together. Remember, "99% of chess is tactics". Check Amazon
for these. I don't think they're over 10 bucks.
Tom

Old July 27th 03, 08:09 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Andy" wrote in message
Anyone know any good chess books that might suit an 8 year old ?
Looking for something beyond simply the rules of the game but Ideally
something they could read themselves and learn about the game.

Thanks,

Andy

I forgot the author, but a long time ago when I was a kid, I read a book
titled "The Chess Book".

It went over a quick history of the game (including the fact that Checkmate
was derived from "Shah Mat"), the moves for each piece (which they later
clarify that it is correct to call them chessmen), the rules of the game,
and even included some simple checkmates such as "Scholar's Mate" and
"Fool's Mate".

Well, I guess that book is long forgotten and out of print...however, I did
a quick search on Amazon.com and found this:

The Kids' Book of Chess/Book and Kids' Chess Set
by Harvey Kidder, Kimberly Bulcken Root (Illustrator)

Rather than post a weblink, which may change, here is the ISBN:

0894807676

Amazon.com shows a reading level of age range of 9 - 12. Of course, it's
probably available in other stores besides Amazon.com.

Hope this helps.

Old July 27th 03, 08:29 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
CeeBee

"Andy" wrote

Anyone know any good chess books that might suit an 8 year old ?
Looking for something beyond simply the rules of the game but Ideally
something they could read themselves and learn about the game.

Chess for kids - Michael Basman
How to Beat Your Dad at Chess - Murray Chandler
The Kids' Book of Chess - Harvey Kidder and Kimberly Bulcken
Chess for Juniors: A Complete Guide for the Beginner - Robert M. Snyder

You could also try and start with a PC program like ChessMaster, which has
kid tutorials IIRC.

Good luck.

--
CeeBee

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2
Old July 27th 03, 08:33 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
DDEckerslyke

"Andy" wrote in message
Anyone know any good chess books that might suit an 8 year old ?
Looking for something beyond simply the rules of the game but Ideally
something they could read themselves and learn about the game.

I don't know about youngsters - it may well be suitable - but the best one
volume beginner's guide im(h)o is Patrick Wolff's 'Idiot's Guide to Chess'.
I got it from our local library. Also there's the seductively titled 'How to
Beat Your Dad at Chess' I've no idea if this is any good but it sounds like
the sort of thing. Also s/he will get a lot more out of it if you can spend
some time with her/him. I've got three kids myself so I know this is not
always possible.

Also while I'm giving you the benefit of my vast wisdom :-) I'd mention that
if your son/daughter reads even one book s/he will be able to beat most kids
her/his age with very simple tactics. This is not much fun after a while.
This is where a lot of chess players get stuck - even into adulthood. If
this happens then sometime in the future you may want to post here and ask
for further advice on the next step.

None of this has to be high pressure at all. Chess at any level can be
*very* enjoyable, addictive even.

cheers

dd

Old July 27th 03, 08:48 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
Tim Hanke

"Tom E." wrote ...

I would recommend Fred Reinfelds 1001 books. They are just
puzzels to solve, with a paragraph or two to describe the tactic
for that segment of puzzels.

1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
ISBN: 0-87980-111-5

1001 Brilliant Ways to Checkmate
ISBN: 0-87980-110-7

I like to solve most of these by just looking at them, but you
two can lay these positions out on the board and discuss them
together. Remember, "99% of chess is tactics". Check Amazon
for these. I don't think they're over 10 bucks.
Tom

Great books, but way too hard for 99% of kids.

Tim Hanke

Old July 27th 03, 08:57 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
Andy

Thanks for the recommendation folks.
Having gone through Amazon every which way I came up with the following 4
(some of which you're posts recommended as well thanks):

Tips for Young Players
by Matthew Sadler; Paperback

Chess Openings for Juniors
by John Walker; Paperback

How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit Chess)

Chess for Kids
by Michael Basman; Paperback

If anyone has any experience of these books I'd be interested before we take
the plunge !

( Although I said an 8 year old, my son is actually only 6 but has a good
reading age - probably around 8 and is a good player for his age. USCF
rating according to Chessmaster has been 1000 although recently sliped a
bit ! He's also played in a few tournaments (In UK where we live) and done
well. So we're basically looking for some books that he can read and learn
from in addition to me rabbiting on to him ! )

Old July 28th 03, 03:09 AM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
skoonj

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Walker's Chess Openings is a good book, but may be unsuitable for your
purposes yet. Openings aren't a priority for 8-year-olds and that's all the
book has. Hold off on it for a couple years. Walker has another book called
Chess For Tomorrow's Champions which is more general though I haven't read
it.

I'd also recommend Gillam's Simple Checkmates (I think that's the name)
which is a tactical exercize book. In fact, he has a series of these that
become progressively more difficult.

-T

Old August 1st 03, 02:49 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
John Bain

Default CHESS FOR STUDENTS/ Chess books for youngsters

Hello, Andy.

Hello.

If you are looking for good chess books for beginning chess players,
please visit John Bain's Chess For Students, Inc. web site:

http://www.chessforstudents.com

Besides the books--"Chess Rules For Students," "Checkmate! Ideas For
Students," and "Chess Tactics For Students"--all in easy to use, easy to
correct worksheet format, you will also find book reviews, chess sets,
chess clocks, and demonstration boards--all appropriate for youngsters
just learning chess, or for parents, teachers, and coaches teaching the
game. These books are excellent for classroom or individual instruction.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

John Bain
Chess For Students, Inc.