Sunday Chess

Old September 14th 03, 09:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.puzzles
|-|erc

Default Sunday Chess

My www.c-h-e-s-s.com weekly counter stats usually go like this :

_______
_/ \_
S M T W T F S
_______
_/ \_
S M T W T F S

with weekends scoring under 10 visits usually, then back to a steady
50 to 100 hits per day each weekday (most at 9AM! ~ you're supposed to be working!)

but this week is something different :

___
_______/
_/
S M T W T F S

___
_______/
_/
S M T W T F S

The first busy weekend, the couple of mods might be working, try a game!
Thanks to all my visitors. Make sure to link to the site if you have a website!

Herc

Old September 20th 03, 10:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.puzzles
Chris Kantack

In article ,
says...
My
www.c-h-e-s-s.com weekly counter stats usually go like this :

_______
_/ \_
S M T W T F S
_______
_/ \_
S M T W T F S

with weekends scoring under 10 visits usually, then back to a steady
50 to 100 hits per day each weekday (most at 9AM! ~ you're supposed to be working!)

but this week is something different :

___
_______/
_/
S M T W T F S

The first busy weekend, the couple of mods might be working, try a game!
Thanks to all my visitors. Make sure to link to the site if you have a website!

Herc

Interesting.....

Now I have not had a counter on my site for well over a year. But I've
always had the heaviest traffic on weekends. Not weekdays.

Still, my site is more of an informational site for chess computer shoppers.
Which may explain the difference.

Chris Kantack
http://home.earthlink.net/~kantack/lcdchess/home.htm
Old September 21st 03, 10:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.puzzles
|-|erc

Interesting.....

Now I have not had a counter on my site for well over a year. But I've
always had the heaviest traffic on weekends. Not weekdays.

Still, my site is more of an informational site for chess computer shoppers.
Which may explain the difference.

Chris Kantack
http://home.earthlink.net/~kantack/lcdchess/home.htm

I think I checked your site the other week, with talking excalibur, been meaning
to checks ToysRus. Why not snip the wire to the speaker, or better yet cram
in a small switch or variable resister to it. At $30 or so a unit have one talking
and one for the library? Or maybe they left the 'quiet version' as the non speech
model!!

About half of my visitors all come in at the same time each week day, 9AM. Because
its a game site I think, people get to work and log into the computer, 'just before I
start work I'll warm the brain cells with a game of chess!'.

Might be able to get some daily tournament games going!

Do you want to add your site to the chess web r-i-n-g, alongside www.c-h-e-s-s.com ?
...nearly operational..!
Herc

Old September 22nd 03, 03:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.puzzles
Chris Kantack

Default Sunday Chess and OT: past few days....a SPAM explosion

In article ,
says...
[...]

Herc,

I wasn't aware of a chess web-ring. I'll certainly check it out.

By the way, have you (or anyone else out there) been getting hit with major
SPAM lately. My mailbox is getting up to 400 messages each day regarding
(phony distributions) of "Microsoft Security Patches" and similar topics.

It's really a pain as these emails typically have 150K attachments to them.
I've been able to access my earthlink mailbox via the web but it's been
getting really crazy as my 10MB mailbox quota is maxed out every couple of
hours.

It's become a major problem for me the past few days. Started on Thursday
with about 100 of these phony patches (I delete them all of course...nothing
but a virus I'm sure.) Got about 200 such messages on Friday....300 on
Saturday...Still awaiting a response from Earthlink on getting this crap
filtered out.

Thanks,
Chris
Old September 22nd 03, 07:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.puzzles
Richard Heathfield

Chris Kantack wrote:

By the way, have you (or anyone else out there) been getting hit with
major
SPAM lately. My mailbox is getting up to 400 messages each day regarding
(phony distributions) of "Microsoft Security Patches" and similar topics.

It's not just you. Your ISP might be able to help filter these out. I've had
almost two gigabytes of email since Friday evening, so I plan to talk to my
ISP later today.

It's really a pain as these emails typically have 150K attachments to
them. I've been able to access my earthlink mailbox via the web but it's
been getting really crazy as my 10MB mailbox quota is maxed out every
couple of hours.

Some idiot mail admins are bouncing virus emails instead of deleting them,
and the bounces go to the person whose email address was used in the From:
header, even if that email address was just harvested off Usenet.

--
Richard Heathfield :
C FAQ:
Old September 22nd 03, 10:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.puzzles
Simon Waters

Old September 22nd 03, 08:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.puzzles
Richard Heathfield

Simon Waters wrote:

Richard Heathfield wrote:

Some idiot mail admins are bouncing virus emails instead of deleting

them,
and the bounces go to the person whose email address was used in the

From:
header, even if that email address was just harvested off Usenet.

Most will return stuff to the Return-Path address, which as far as I
know isn't faked for SWEN.

So if you are getting lots of bounces, you could well have an infected
PC, there are more routes to infection with this critter than opening
(or previewing in some cases) an email.

/Can/ SWEN infect a Linux box?

Unfortunately the virus also masquerades as a bounce (mock qmail bounce
I believe), so just because you have emails that look like virus
bounces, doesn't mean you are necessarily infected.

More likely, I think.

Sorry for being way way off topic, but since it targets NNTP addresses
particularly most people here are probably getting their share.

Yes. In my case, over 2GB now in just 72 hours or so. It's getting so bad
that I'm just deleting anything over 100KB without even bothering to TOP
it.

--
Richard Heathfield :
C FAQ:
Old September 22nd 03, 11:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.puzzles
Ed Murphy

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:24:09 +0000, Richard Heathfield wrote:

/Can/ SWEN infect a Linux box?

It could infect a Windows emulator running on Linux. (I refuse to run
one, for precisely this reason.) It could infect a Windows machine
with access to some Linux files via Samba. (I only share two Linux
directories on my home network.)

Old September 23rd 03, 12:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.puzzles
Richard Heathfield

Ed Murphy wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:24:09 +0000, Richard Heathfield wrote:

/Can/ SWEN infect a Linux box?

It could infect a Windows emulator running on Linux.

Not applicable.

(I refuse to run
one, for precisely this reason.)

Quite.

It could infect a Windows machine
with access to some Linux files via Samba.

Again, not applicable.

(I only share two Linux
directories on my home network.)

No shares at all on mine.

--
Richard Heathfield :
C FAQ:
Old September 23rd 03, 03:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.puzzles
Simon Waters