Chessmaster 9000 Grandmaster opponents

Old October 12th 03, 01:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
Dmitry Andreev

Default Chessmaster 9000 Grandmaster opponents

It was quite a funny idea to imitate the playing style of famous
grandmasters by ChessMaster(CM)
I believe developers gave CM games of the players to study and then they
adjusted chess engine
parameters to maximize the percent of positions where computer offer the
same move as one
had been played in the game by the human player.

On the other hand, there always is an optimal set of parameters for each
engine. Any change in this set
weakens the playing strength of the machine.
It is quite obvious that if you'd try to play like Tal , you wouldnt improve
your results but just the opposite.
Machine trying to play like a human is about in the same situation.

Dmitry.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
I was wondering what the collective opinion on the newsgroups are about
how realistically the Chessmaster Grandmaster opponents simulate the
style of play of the real opponents. Earlier on the engine might not
have been strong enough but now it should be for most situations. But
does the program have the same epiphanies that GMs have when they're
playing, make the same kinds of brilliant moves?

Also, how realistic can it be? I played against "Fischer" and he never
complained about the board, the pieces, the chair, or the lighting.

Seriously, how realistic are these Grandmaster opponents? With an
earlier version of CM I emailed a game to (the real) Seirawan of a blitz
game I'd played against his personality. (I'd played it to a
draw...hence why I was mailing him the game!) He replied that I played
well, but at the same time he said he howled with laughter when he saw
some of "his" moves.

John

--
If you steal something small you are a petty thief, but if you steal
millions, you are a gentleman of society. --Greek Proverb