Chess Funding & Sponsorship

Old October 21st 03, 11:14 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Andy

Default Chess Funding & Sponsorship

Anyone got any good ideas as to how to raise funding / find sponsors for
chess activities in Primary schools and Junior chess clubs ?

Thanks,

Andy

Old October 21st 03, 11:25 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Chuck in Minot

Have a car wash, bake sale, offer to do lawn work. ITs very tough out there
now, very rough to get any type of sponsors, you may just have do your best
to find things to do to make your own money, but good luck!!!

Old October 22nd 03, 09:28 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Andy

Thanks for the advice so far - much appreciated.
Any more ideas ?
Please keep them coming !

Old October 24th 03, 04:35 AM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Chris Kantack

In article ,
says...
Thanks for the advice so far - much appreciated.
Any more ideas ?
Please keep them coming !

Don't overlook nearby large companies and local corporations. They often
have grant money and older equipment (like laptops) just waiting for a
charity to ask for.

For example, my company has several good laptops available for any non-
profit group. I found out this past weekend of a local chess club that was
in dire need of a laptop (for tournament pairngs) so I instructed them on
how to apply for one.

While it often isn't easy to raise money for chess, since you are looking at
a scholastic endeavor you should have far better luck than say, someone
trying to raise money for adult tournaments.

It usually is easier to raise money for a children's event than an adult
one. I recall Erik Anderson's (America's Foundation for Chess) stating that
he was able to raise funds for all kinds of "chess-in-the-schools"
instructors and events...but was having great difficulty finding sponsors
for the U.S. Championships.

Chris Kantack
http://home.earthlink.net/~kantack/lcdchess/home.htm
(remove the "nospampls" from my email address if replying by email)
Old October 24th 03, 10:51 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Andy

Thanks Chris

"Chris Kantack" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
says...

Old May 4th 04, 05:48 AM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Squark

Don't overlook local small businesses. If you get 5 or 6 local enterprises
to donate little items as prizes, it adds up to lots of incentive. For
example:

Joey Bloom won 1st prize: dinner for four at
Mario's Pizza and Pasta Palace;
Tom Greene came in 2nd and won a free
tank of gas from Smith's Sunoco Station;
Marina Wallensky had the high score for the
elementary school section and won a $25
gift certificate at Paulines Pet Store.

These kind of prizes from local sponsors help stimulate
the local economy and build a sense of partnership between small business
and chess.

Old May 25th 04, 03:05 AM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Squark

Chess Express Ratings, at www.chess-express.com has offered to donate chess
sets and clocks
to scholastic programs that use their rating service; there are some
conditions, but you can contact
them at ... nothing to lose!