The USCF breeched its contract with the membership by cutting the size of Chess Life in half

Old October 28th 03, 08:31 PM posted to alt.chess,francom.echecs,nl.sport.schaken,rec.games.chess.politics
A1

Default The USCF breeched its contract with the membership by cutting the size of Chess Life in half

You said

"WPraeder" wrote in message
an organization that creates opportunities for adults and kids
to play without having to pay a $250 dollar entry fee and compete for
cash prizes of $10,000--not a knock on the World Open, I have played in
it and I love it but there are times when I would like play chess when
there is not so much money on table--an organization that certifies
tournament directors and responsibly maintains a rating system, an
organization that continues to promote chess in the schools, an
organization capable of sponsoring events that gets chess some media
coverage on occasion.

Actually there is more free chess today than ever before as anyone with an
internet connection can find a game (as I even found accessed US Chess live
from library I wasn't supposed to access it from (no games, chat rooms, or
instant messaging the librarians say) and no longer do people in the sticks
need go without a game as I play rated chess (QR) every day

Also as per the discussions with Mr. Goichberg (the USA's foremost
tournament promoter) (in this newsgroup) by the strict numbers most of the
monies that are charged for entry fees go to pay for the prize monies which
contributes somewhat (though haphazardly) to the expenses of our best
players since the USA has not opted to support (formally and directly) chess
as a sport (like other countries do as champs here have to scrounge for
funds like businesses or hustlers).

As for the rest of what you wrote it is drivel (pardon the phrase as though
I have a few bones to pick myself with the way the USCF is run/managed
[saved for other threads] as you sound like you are whining)... as for the
most part organizations have a resilience of their own .... unfortunately
the changes in technology that have been a benefit to chess playing
(generally) have also been have not been good for it organizational for
chess players in Yahoo, MSN, the ICC don't have any organizational rights
except to pay (sic) "dues" (actually subscriptions) to the services of
private capital that doesn't represent the interests aspirations or needs of
chess players ...

Many in this news groups don't even pay USCF dues and many in it who pay
dues suffice to pay the financial ones not organizational ones (dues) though
than can talk as if they do.

Personally I would appreciate knowing why the USCF has breached their
contract with the membership by changing the size of Chess Life and the size
and frequency of the scholastic publications it has as we become members
based on their sales pitch which they base on those publications. I bought
my nephew and half sister memberships a few years back and all of a sudden
their publication was cut from 12 issues to 4 and now my Chess life has been
cut from 68 pages to half that (that's a breech of contract).

A1
USCFRNF

I could go on and on. My point is simply this. If all we do is exert
inexorable pressure on the USCF to give us more for less, the box of
stuff they sell that arrives at your door will have more value. I
guarantee it. They will cut their costs, they will out source, they will
do what any business has to do under those circumstances, or they will

die.

But when it comes to doing the things that a national organization can
do for chess that a commercial organization can't do, they won't,
because, guess what, we have turned them into a commercial organization.

Ned,

Good food for thought.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder
http://www.irs.gov/charities/welfare...=96178,00.html

I am interested in supporting it because I want there to be a national
organization that promotes chess and tries to look after its interest in
our country, an organization that supports the development of our best
players,

Old October 28th 03, 08:43 PM posted to alt.chess,francom.echecs,nl.sport.schaken,rec.games.chess.politics
A1

PS I can be contacted thru our website and email groups besides this news
groups

http://uk.geocities.com/uscfrnf/
http://b.webring.com/hub?ring=uscfrankandfile1
http://groups.msn.com/chesstravel

and members can post to:

"A1 yahoo.co.uk" [email protected] wrote in message
You said