Bill Goichberg takes care of his interests as does the ICC Yahoo and MSN

Old October 29th 03, 12:01 AM posted to alt.chess,francom.echecs,nl.sport.schaken,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
A1

Default Bill Goichberg takes care of his interests as does the ICC Yahoo and MSN

You said Bill Goichberg:

We did not lose 10,000 adults because of the dues. Past dues increases

impacted
membership for one year only.

The main reasons for the decline were that we lost nonplayers who replaced
Chess Life with the internet, and we lost some players to online play

(perhaps
not as many as I thought; I would like to see the breakdown of players and
nonplayers going back to 1995).

Which sounds very correct

you continue saying

I don't see the smallest dues increase in USCF history on a percentage

basis,
coming after the longest interval ever without an increase (8 years), as
hurting tournament chess. I did fight the high TLA fees which I felt were
hurting affiliates, and support offering some free small TLAs to

affiliates
today to promote activity.

1st prove it was the smallest dues increase and
2nd you may be correct that the increase does not in the short term hurt
tournament chess but in the long term when you no longer can see a what a
chess board looks like it will

Since USCF has not lost tournament players since the dues increase, why
consider a decrease? Most tournament players, possibly unlike

non-players, do
not seem to consider the dues excessive.

prove it! maybe??

While lowering all adult dues would be a mistake,

prove it!!

I would support making an
option available to lower the cost of membership for the occasional player

who
won't pay $49. USCF has a 6-month trial membership for new players for

$32,
convertible to a full year membership with the payment of $20 more. I

suggest
that this be replaced by a 6-month membership for $29, non-convertible,

that
anyone can buy. This will cut $20 off the minimum cost of joining.

You are crazy as your own information indicates the occasional players' mass
surrender to online free chess servers newsletters and systems and mass
disaffection from OTB chess, you tactically try to save face by making an
orderly retreat when actaually your men already made one for you so they
don't need your say so

USCF should also abolish these membership classes: Life, Sustaining,

Economy
Adult, Economy Scholastic, and Prison. Life and Sustaining of course

would
continue for those who have already paid these dues. Prison would

continue if
the US Chess Trust decides to collect $12 from each prisoner and send the
balance to USCF to enroll them as adult members.

Why and why should these classes of memberships be abolished ? (hmm?)
Because they don't put money in the pockets of Chess Tournament Organizers?
nor cater to the bizness man you are (say yes Bill I dare you)

Memberships should be free or easy to obtain to include a full magazine
(Chess Life) and online play (USChesslive) there is no reason why during the
course of anyone's membership to an orgainzation that the quantity and
quality of what it provides should change in any many or form

Tournaments should likewise free or easy to obtain.

I can afford to buy a life member ship but I didn't and the reason applies
to annual memberships as well ... why should I pay for a membership when
that which the organization provides (in its lack of creditability) can
change and decrease at any time?

Actually in real terms and the long run what do you want me and other
members to pay for the "privilege of playing chess in the USA" please put a
complete package (encompassing all of chessdom)on the table of what you are
suggesting ?

A1

I can be contacted thru:
http://uk.geocities.com/uscfrnf/