How to properly handle bizarre moves during 'book' openings?

Old November 29th 03, 05:57 PM posted to alt.chess
Patrick Hoerter

Default How to properly handle bizarre moves during 'book' openings?

Hi,

I'm currently studying various chess openings.

I've noticed that the standard 'book' openings usually proceed for a few
moves until you reach the 'variation' territory.

What I want to know is this:

Let's say, for example, that I have black, and my opponent opens with 1.e4,
and I respond with ...c5, going for a Sicilian Defense.

What if my opponent does something bizarre, like b3 or g4, etc? Can we still
have a Sicilian? How should I proceed when the opponent immediately deviates
from 'book'? None of the chess books I have purchased (and I have many),
demonstrates this. They all are stuffed with grandmaster games, many of
which are 'book' clear through move 10 and beyond. Most of the players I run
into deviate almost immediately because they don't know the standard
openings. I sense that I should be able to hammer a mistake like that, but
I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. In the sample I gave, if we proceed, are
we still in the Sicilian, or some other, more bizarre formation?

Could you also recommend any books that give the _reasons_ behind the
various openings, rather than endless repertoires?

Help!

Thanks,
Patrick
(Remove the "_" from email address if you wish to reply via email).

Old November 30th 03, 10:57 PM posted to alt.chess
Greg Teets

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:57:41 -0500, "Patrick Hoerter"
wrote:

Help!

Thanks,
Patrick
(Remove the "_" from email address if you wish to reply via email).

I would suggest that you repost this to rec.games.chess.analysis
because this group gets hardly any traffic.

Greg in Cincinnati
Old December 2nd 03, 07:23 AM posted to alt.chess
Patrick Hoerter

Greg,

Duly noted. Thanks for the input!

Patrick