Chess Software Recommendation Requested

Old November 30th 03, 07:57 PM posted to alt.chess
John

Default Chess Software Recommendation Requested

I'm fairly new to chess. Played when I was young and am looking to get back
involved. Any recommendations on software? I've seen Kasparov's software
and Chessmaster. What about Fritz?

Thanks for any input.

John

Old December 9th 03, 06:23 PM posted to alt.chess
The Lindbergh Baby

John wrote:
I'm fairly new to chess. Played when I was young and am looking to get back
involved. Any recommendations on software? I've seen Kasparov's software
and Chessmaster. What about Fritz?

Fritz (and its cousins--Hiarcs, Junior, etc.) are all fine, as is
Chessmaster. The biggest difference is the Chessbase programs such as
Fritz have better analysis features--they handle more like pages from a
chessbook. Chessmaster, on the other hand, has better whiz-bang special
effects but is not as useful as an analysis tool. But Chessmaster's
strength is in its gallery of simulated "opponents": the playing styles
vary greatly and you really feel like you are playing a wide
cross-section of people in a club that has everyone from beginners to
grandmasters. It's hard to recommend one program over the other. But
since you can get Chessmaster 9000 on sites like Amazon's resellers for
not much money (I got my copy for under $20) and Fritz and friends are
also no longer extremely expensive (now about $45, used to be over a
hundred), and prior versions of Fritz are discounted to about $25 when
the new release comes out, I just have both on my computer. You can
probably get both programs for $75.

John

--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address