Amsterdam Forum - Chess Boxing

Old December 1st 03, 11:33 AM posted to alt.chess,microsoft.public.games.zone.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.sport.boxing
Amsterdam Forum

Default Amsterdam Forum - Chess Boxing

The Amsterdam Forum is Radio Netherlands' debate and discussion programme.
This week we are looking at the new sport of chess boxing.

Competitors go toe to toe across the chessboard and in the boxing ring in a
combined event which tests mental and physical capabilities to the limit.
Opponents begin with four minutes of chess then two minutes of boxing - the
cycle continues for six rounds of chess and five of boxing, unless of course
there's a knockout or a checkmate in the meantime.

A World Chess Boxing Organisation has been set up and the first "world
championships" have just been held in Amsterdam.The backers of the new
sport, the brainchild of a Dutch artist, say they hope it will become an
Olympic event by the year 2016.

They say it's the ultimate mental and physical challenge to find an
all-round champion.

Will the concept take off? Tell us what you think:

http://www.rnw.nl/amsterdamforum/

Regards

Radio Netherlands

Old December 1st 03, 02:42 PM posted to alt.chess,microsoft.public.games.zone.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.sport.boxing
JohnShep

"Amsterdam Forum" wrote in message .. .
The Amsterdam Forum is Radio Netherlands' debate and discussion programme.
This week we are looking at the new sport of chess boxing.

A desperate attempt to be funny, very sad.

JohnShep

Old December 1st 03, 03:55 PM posted to alt.chess,microsoft.public.games.zone.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.sport.boxing
Robert Phillips

JohnShep wrote:

"Amsterdam Forum" wrote in message .. .

The Amsterdam Forum is Radio Netherlands' debate and discussion programme.
This week we are looking at the new sport of chess boxing.

A desperate attempt to be funny, very sad.
JohnShep

You know, when I read the subject header, I was all ready to make a joke
about combining chess and boxing, under the assumption that "Chess
Boxing" was just the name of some boxing club or gym in the Netherlands.
Turns out the subject header wasn't misleading at all. Oh well.

Pie

Old December 1st 03, 05:13 PM posted to alt.chess,microsoft.public.games.zone.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.sport.boxing
Rob van Aurich

See:
http://www.schaakbond.nl/actueel.htm#sbxn

Robert Phillips wrote:

JohnShep wrote:

.. .

--
Groeten
van Rob

Old December 1st 03, 05:19 PM posted to alt.chess,microsoft.public.games.zone.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.sport.boxing
Rob van Aurich

And take a look at:
http://www.schaakbond.nl/actueel.htm#boks
http://www.tonie.net/index_schaakboxen.html

Old December 1st 03, 05:26 PM posted to alt.chess,microsoft.public.games.zone.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.sport.boxing
Rob van Aurich

Sorry, must be
http://www.tonie.net/index_schaakboksen.html
and another link:
http://www.schaakbond.nl/actueel.htm#schaakboks

http://www.tonie.net/index_schaakboxen.html (wrong link)

Old December 1st 03, 10:35 PM posted to alt.chess,microsoft.public.games.zone.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.sport.boxing
crafty counterpuncher

[...]

two of my favorite activities...definite future here.
Old December 2nd 03, 03:59 PM posted to alt.chess,microsoft.public.games.zone.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.sport.boxing
michael adams

Amsterdam Forum wrote:

[...]

- Hard to move pieces with 'gloves' on & imagine the perspiration
(sniff)..

Old December 2nd 03, 08:28 PM posted to alt.chess,microsoft.public.games.zone.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.sport.boxing
5016

(crafty counterpuncher) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Although obviously a joke, it would be kind of interesting. It is
obvious that it hasn't been thought through - one would have to
stipulate the number of moves in X time, not the number of minutes of
chess.

How many moves? I think maybe 25 would give a good chess player a
50/50 chance to beat a halfway decent player before the boxing event.
It would certainly lead to interesting chess games if we pitched
Kasparov against (say) Lennox Lewis. Kasparov would have to attack
desparately to finish the game before being knocked out in the two
minutes of boxing.

From what I have heard of Lewis's chess (that he is decent but not
good) I would bet Kasparov to complete his victory in 25 but not 20
moves.

Bizarrely, the chess would be much more exciting than the boxing. It
is possible for a mediocre chess player to last against a great one,
but it is not possible for an average person to last very long against
a top-10 heavyweight. Weight divisions might make it more interesting.

Terry Marsh, the former IBF (light middleweight?) champion (the person
who definitely didn't shoot Frank Warren) was supposed to be a
schoolboy chess champion.

To add a boastful note to this, I was the only person who ever
represented my college first teams in chess and rugby. That is one of
the few things that I have done that I am truly proud of. I attended
the boxing team but dropped out when I discovered that they went
running at 6 in the morning. The rugby team had a much more civilized
attitude to training, having it during rather than before lectures.
Old December 3rd 03, 07:03 AM posted to alt.chess,microsoft.public.games.zone.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.sport.boxing
Kenneth Leja

[...]

Nah,I prefer basketball-golf.