Playboy Magazine vs. Chess Life

Old August 18th 04, 03:11 PM posted to alt.chess

Default Playboy Magazine vs. Chess Life

As long as we are on this subject, it seems to me that if Playboy
Magazine published an article entitled "Girls of Chess", with lots of
photographs of naked female chess grandmasters (for which they would
be well paid), we would all like to see it and nobody would be upset.

Such an article appreared in the Russian men's magazine "Speed", with
nude photos of a real chess grandmaster, with the headline on the
cover in Russian saying "I Like Eating ... Sloan!"

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1826

I am not sure why my name was brought into this, but I would not mind
being eaten by the lady, provided of course that she did it in the
right way.

However, I would object if this sort of article appeared in Chess Life
magazine. Not only do the chess players know me well enough not to
want to eat me, but Chess Life is a magazine about chess. It is the
only major chess magazine left in the US, whereas Playboy has lots of
competition, both of the soft and hard variety. If we want to see
pictures of girls, we can get them anywhere and, worst than that, they
constantly appear on our computer screens when we do not want to see
them.

I would like to see Chess Life stop trying to compete with the men's
magazines and come back exclusively to chess.