Old Fogies on the US Olympiad Team

Old September 9th 04, 03:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Old Fogies on the US Olympiad Team

On 9 Sep 2004 04:56:59 -0700, (Compuserve
Chucky) wrote:

Was Gulko informed at the beginning of the year that inactivity on his
part would adversely affect his selection to the Olympiad team? Is it
fair to make a player's level of activity a major factor in the
selection process without warning him ahead of time?

Nobody has the "right" to play on the Olympiad team. I picked Gulko as
an example because he is the oldest, aged 57, and the least active,
almost no games for the past three years.

Note that Seirawan is the highest rated US player on the FIDE list but
he does not make the US Team. Perhaps they should but him on as the
"token American" on the US Olympiad team,

Nakamura's big rating bounce came from a single knockout tournament.
It was a great result, but could just as easily have been a fluke.
Gulko is no fluke. He's won the USSR Championship and the USA
Championship. How many of those has Nakamura won?

Not true at all. Nakamura's result in the FIDE World Championship has
not even been rated yet. His rating has been on a steady climb from
2617 on the December, 2003 USCF rating list to 2684 today.

Check it out at
http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlTnmtHst.php?12641216

When the FIDE World Championship is rated, Nakamura will likely be the
highest rated player on both lists other than Kamsky.

Gulko has not played at all since the July 2003 Senior Open, where he
defeated a field consisting of low masters and experts and Class A
players. He has played in only four tournaments in the last three
years. After the 2001 World Open, he played in the 2002 US
Championship, the 2003 US Championship, the 2003 World Open and the
2003 Senior Open. He clearly does not belong on the team.

http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlTnmtHst.php?12473035

The fact that he won the USSR Championship 30 years ago is not really
relevant.

Team tournaments are different from regular tournaments. I could argue
that an experienced player like Gulko brings many more intangibles to
a team than does a neophyte like Nakamura, in terms of team strategy,
preparation, etc.

We are not going to win the Olympiad. We will be lucky to finish in
the top 10. Our interests should be in what is the best for USA chess
in the long run.

Gulko should not be on the team at all. He has not played chess in
more than a year. It is a mistake to send him and I am surprised that
he even wants to go.

Old September 9th 04, 09:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Compuserve Chucky

(Sam Sloan) wrote in message ...
On 9 Sep 2004 04:56:59 -0700,
(Compuserve
Chucky) wrote:

Was Gulko informed at the beginning of the year that inactivity on his
part would adversely affect his selection to the Olympiad team? Is it
fair to make a player's level of activity a major factor in the
selection process without warning him ahead of time?

Nobody has the "right" to play on the Olympiad team. I picked Gulko as
an example because he is the oldest, aged 57, and the least active,
almost no games for the past three years.

I never claimed anybody had a "right" to play on the team. Don't you
think the players should know ahead of time what criteria are being
used for the selection process? If not, why not make the process
totally arbitrary -- say, based upon the feelings of Sam Sloan? Would
that make you happy?

Note that Seirawan is the highest rated US player on the FIDE list but
he does not make the US Team. Perhaps they should but him on as the
"token American" on the US Olympiad team,

Seirawan has announced his retirement from chess. Do you get extra
points for admission to the Olympiad team if you were Born In The USA?

Nakamura's big rating bounce came from a single knockout tournament.
It was a great result, but could just as easily have been a fluke.
Gulko is no fluke. He's won the USSR Championship and the USA
Championship. How many of those has Nakamura won?

Not true at all. Nakamura's result in the FIDE World Championship has
not even been rated yet. His rating has been on a steady climb from
2617 on the December, 2003 USCF rating list to 2684 today.

USCF ratings? I thought FIDE ratings were used.

Check it out at
http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlTnmtHst.php?12641216

When the FIDE World Championship is rated, Nakamura will likely be the
highest rated player on both lists other than Kamsky.

Gulko has not played at all since the July 2003 Senior Open, where he
defeated a field consisting of low masters and experts and Class A
players. He has played in only four tournaments in the last three
years. After the 2001 World Open, he played in the 2002 US
Championship, the 2003 US Championship, the 2003 World Open and the
2003 Senior Open. He clearly does not belong on the team.

http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlTnmtHst.php?12473035

The fact that he won the USSR Championship 30 years ago is not really
relevant.

I guess he must be senile now, huh?

Team tournaments are different from regular tournaments. I could argue
that an experienced player like Gulko brings many more intangibles to
a team than does a neophyte like Nakamura, in terms of team strategy,
preparation, etc.

We are not going to win the Olympiad. We will be lucky to finish in
the top 10. Our interests should be in what is the best for USA chess
in the long run.

Why stop at Nakamura? Why not send a entire team made up of juniors?
Guys like Shabba and Yermo are getting old. Who needs 'em, right?

Gulko should not be on the team at all. He has not played chess in
more than a year. It is a mistake to send him and I am surprised that
he even wants to go.

Sam Sloan

I'm surprised that you can be surprised by anything anymore.

Charles
Old September 11th 04, 05:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Tom Smale

I guess we can just wait and see Gulko's results to see if he is senile or
not.
Either way, I expect him to win some amazingly imaginative games.
Personally I have a hard time getting excited about Soviet implants when it
comes to representing the USA at chess. I'd rather encourage youth (and the
future) in the Olympiad, all other things being equal.

--len

"Compuserve Chucky" wrote in message
om...
(Sam Sloan) wrote in message

On 9 Sep 2004 04:56:59 -0700,
(Compuserve

Old September 11th 04, 02:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:56:41 -0700, "Tom Smale"
wrote:

I guess we can just wait and see Gulko's results to see if he is senile or
not.
Either way, I expect him to win some amazingly imaginative games.
Personally I have a hard time getting excited about Soviet implants when it
comes to representing the USA at chess. I'd rather encourage youth (and the
future) in the Olympiad, all other things being equal.

--len

Nobody is saying that Gulko is not a strong player. However, he has
not played as single game of rated chess in more than a year since the
July 2003 Senior Open where his opponents were elderly players rated
as low masters or experts plus one A-Player. At the Olympiad, Gulko's
opponents will all be grandmasters. Gulko has not played a grandmaster
in a long time.

The problem arises from the formula the USCF uses, which is to average
three ratings, Peak Rating, April 2004 rating and FIDE rating. In the
case of Gulko, Peak Rating and April 2004 Rating are the same, because
he played no games. There is also an activity requirement. One must
have played ten games within the past year. However, that was within
the past year before April 2004. Gulko played in the 2003 World Open,
so he got in his ten games. The fact that he has played no games at
all since April 2004 is not relevant to the formula.

Gulko has played in every or almost every Olympiad since Thessaloniki
1988. He has had lots of chances. It is time we gave a young player a
chance.

The solution is not to change the formula. Regardless of what formula
we use, there will be problems. Here, we had the Anna Hahn problem
with the Woman's Team and the Gulko Problem with the men's team. It
could have been a lot worse. If Levitina or Anna Gulko or Elena
Akhmilovskaya Donaldson had insisted on playing in the Woman's
Olympiad thereby pushing off Jennifer Shahade, we would have had a
more serious problem.

I think we need to go back to the traditional committee system.