I am thinking of bringing a lawsuit to stop the move to Crossville - Opinions Wanted

Old October 22nd 04, 06:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal

Default I am thinking of bringing a lawsuit to stop the move to Crossville - Opinions Wanted

I am thinking of bringing a lawsuit to stop the move to Crossville -
Opinions Wanted

For the past three days I have been receiving telephone calls and
e-mails from people asking whether I am going to file a lawsuit to
stop Beatriz Marinello from moving the USCF to Crossville, Tennessee.

I am certainly the best person to file such a suit, since I know how
to do it.

However, I tell everybody who calls that such a suit would be VERY
difficult to win. I think it can be won, but not easily. There are
many possible grounds. I would have to spend weeks in the law library
researching these questions to see if these grounds have been
recognized by the courts.

Just about everybody agrees that the late Sunday night telephone vote
to move to the USCF to Crossville was nothing more than a naked power
grab by Beatriz Marinello, who wants to take Bill Goichberg?fs job and
to get her hot hands on the $513,000 that that USCF just received by
selling the building in New Windsor.

If there were economic justifications for the move, there would have
been no rush. The members could have been notified in advance and a
public hearing held. No need for late night telephone calls.

Again, however, I need to emphasize that winning this case will be
difficult. We would not actually need to win it. It would be
sufficient just to get a Temporary Restraining Order stopping the move
and delaying it long enough until an election can be held and Beatriz
Marinello thrown out of office.

I am not going to tell you what grounds I have in mind. I do not want
to alert the opponents. However, it should be obvious that to move a
non-profit corporation which has resided in New York State for 60
years since the 1940s to another state especially on a 4-3 vote with
no advance notice raises some legal questions. There were four votes
in favor and three either opposed or abstaining. One of the voters in
favor was not even in the US. She was called in Spain, where she was
vacationing. Is this a proper way to decide the fate and future of an
organization with 90,000 members? Does the executive board even have
the power to make such a decision without notice?

The reason I am posting this now is I want to hear the opinions of
other USCF members. I will not file this lawsuit until I feel that a
majority of the members are in favor of what I am doing.

Therefore, I want to hear your opinions. If a majority seem to be in
favor of my proposed action, I will go forward. Otherwise, not

Please express your views.

Old October 22nd 04, 08:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal
Matt Nemmers

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

I am thinking of bringing a lawsuit to stop the move to Crossville -
Opinions Wanted

Save your money. Your kids need to eat and you don't have a job. Don't do
it.

Get Gordon Roy Parker (aka Ray Gordon) to file this frivilous lawsuit for
you. You're NOT the best at that. He is.

MN

Old October 22nd 04, 09:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal
The Masked Bishop

I think it's worth pursuing. I am still mystified as to why the USCF needs
to build at all. Seems to me that a cheap suite of leased offices would be
more than enough to service ratings and edit a magazine.

TMB

Old October 22nd 04, 10:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:03:09 GMT, "The Masked Bishop"
wrote:

I think it's worth pursuing. I am still mystified as to why the USCF needs
to build at all. Seems to me that a cheap suite of leased offices would be
more than enough to service ratings and edit a magazine.

TMB

You make a good point, which has not been discussed. The USCF is a
small organization with only 26 regular employees and $3 million in
sales.

Why does such a tiny enterprise need to own its own building? Why
should it take the risks involved in building a new building? With the
economy as bad as it is but construction costs very high, it is insane
to build a building at all, when there is lots of vacant office space
available everywhere at low rent.

Old October 22nd 04, 11:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal
The Masked Bishop

We don't need "free land." We need to save money. How many vacant office
suites are in the New York-New Jersey metro area? I can imagine quite a lot.
And I bet the monthly rental for 4000 square feet of office space is a hell
of lot less than a building is going to cost us. Plus you don't need to move
to some cracker haven like Crossville.

26 employees, a small LAN, and a layout room for a magazine don't need a new
building.

TMB

"Mike Murray" wrote in message

wrote:

I think it's worth pursuing. I am still mystified as to why the USCF

needs
to build at all. Seems to me that a cheap suite of leased offices would

be
more than enough to service ratings and edit a magazine.

TMB

You make a good point, which has not been discussed.

It's been discussed some. I mentioned it and Hanke responded that we
don't get the free land unless we build on it, and he believes the
value of the land almost offsets the cost of the building.

Don't know if he's correct on this. The point probably merits more
discussion.

Old October 23rd 04, 12:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal
Chess Freak

My opinion? I don't give a damn about the USCF anymore. I
cancelled my membership last year after being a member for 33
years. They can move wherever the hell they want, it won't affect
me in the least. I do think that a lawsuit to stop the move would
be frivolous at best and waste what little resources USCF has left.

What I would really like to see is an alternative national chess
organization to the USCF. Start afresh, I think would be a great
idea.

-CF

Old October 23rd 04, 01:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal
StanB

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

The reason I am posting this now is I want to hear the opinions of
other USCF members. I will not file this lawsuit until I feel that a
majority of the members are in favor of what I am doing.

Therefore, I want to hear your opinions. If a majority seem to be in
favor of my proposed action, I will go forward. Otherwise, not

My opinion is that you're a moron.

Old October 23rd 04, 05:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal
Ray Gordon

What I would really like to see is an alternative national chess
organization to the USCF.

You mean ICC?

They are international. Same "dues" as USCF too!

Old October 27th 04, 03:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal
KidDon

(Sam Sloan) wrote in message ...
[...]

Without even getting to issues of liability and available relief, if
any; my first question would be whether or not you have standing. I
have not and will not research the issue, but I seriously doubt if you
would survive a motion to dismiss on grounds of standing.

kiddon