Is Beatriz Marinello having trouble because of the Patriot Act?

Old November 29th 04, 06:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess

Default Is Beatriz Marinello having trouble because of the Patriot Act?

Is Beatriz Marinello having trouble because of the Patriot Act?

An interesting development has arisen. As everyone knows by now, The
USCF sold the building for approximately $513,000 and put the money in
a bank account with Beatriz Marinello as the signing authority.

Beatriz Marinello has been trying to move the money to another bank
out of reach of the courts.

There seems to be a problem with the Patriot Act and the Homeland
Security Act. Beatroz Marinello is a national of Chile. The bank has
some additional requirements because Beatriz is not a US Citizen and
she is trying to move a large amount of money, more than $500,000.

The bank wants some additional documentation from Beatriz such as
photo ID or a drivers license. For some reason, Beatriz has not been
cooperating up until now.

Nobody seems to know what the immigration status of Beatriz is. Is she
a citizen? Does she hold a green card? Is she even an illegal alien?

Beatriz came to the US in 1990. She got her green card by being
married very briefly to a well known chess master. I saw him
yesterday. I have always felt that this is a personal matter and have
never asked him about this, but now I feel that perhaps I should.

I do not know how the Patriot Act and the Homeland Security Act
applies, but is should be obvious that when any foreign national tries
to move large amounts of cash, in this case more than $500,000, that
alarms will go off.

Of course, we all know that Beatriz Marinello is not an international
terrorist and she is not trying to blow up any buildings. She is just
trying to engage in a little honest embezzlement of the traditional
type. Still, laws are laws and so far Beatriz Marinello has been
either unwilling or unable to follow them.

Old November 30th 04, 07:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
Angelo DePalma

Sam,

I have defended you before in this forum but you're way over the boundaries
of ... whatever it is you do.

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
Is Beatriz Marinello having trouble because of the Patriot Act?

An interesting development has arisen. As everyone knows by now, The
USCF sold the building for approximately $513,000 and put the money in
a bank account with Beatriz Marinello as the signing authority.

Beatriz Marinello has been trying to move the money to another bank
out of reach of the courts.

Please provide evidence.

Old November 30th 04, 07:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
Angelo DePalma

Sorry for the interruption. I accidentally pressed the "send" button:

"Sam Sloan" wrote

How do you know this?

Nobody seems to know what the immigration status of Beatriz is. Is she
a citizen? Does she hold a green card? Is she even an illegal alien?

She's a human being and she apparently lives in the United States.

Beatriz came to the US in 1990. She got her green card by being
married very briefly to a well known chess master. I saw him
yesterday.

Who?

I have always felt that this is a personal matter

You know, asking is sometimes better than making things up.

and have
never asked him about this, but now I feel that perhaps I should.

I do not know how the Patriot Act and the Homeland Security Act
applies, but is should be obvious that when any foreign national tries
to move large amounts of cash, in this case more than $500,000, that
alarms will go off.

Actually the sum is $10,000, and you don't have to be an alien, illegal or
otherwise, to trigger the paperwork.

Of course, we all know that Beatriz Marinello is not an international
terrorist and she is not trying to blow up any buildings.

But I'm sure one of your sources will suggest as much, shortly.

She is just
trying to engage in a little honest embezzlement of the traditional
type. Still, laws are laws and so far Beatriz Marinello has been
either unwilling or unable to follow them.

What is she trying to embezzle? Please be specific.

Old November 30th 04, 07:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
David Ames

"Angelo DePalma" wrote in message ...
Sorry for the interruption. I accidentally pressed the "send" button:

"Sam Sloan" wrote

How do you know this?

Nobody seems to know what the immigration status of Beatriz is. Is she
a citizen? Does she hold a green card? Is she even an illegal alien?

She's a human being and she apparently lives in the United States.

Glib and unresponsive. Thirty-something years ago, a fellow employee
told me he had an opportunity to take half a million dollars and walk
out the door with it, to a country not having an extradition treaty
with us. Sam is right to be concerned about USCF assets apparently
under control of a foreign national whose background is not well
known, and who may not be bonded.

Beatriz came to the US in 1990. She got her green card by being
married very briefly to a well known chess master. I saw him
yesterday.

Who?

I have always felt that this is a personal matter

You know, asking is sometimes better than making things up.

and have
never asked him about this, but now I feel that perhaps I should.

I do not know how the Patriot Act and the Homeland Security Act
applies, but is should be obvious that when any foreign national tries
to move large amounts of cash, in this case more than $500,000, that
alarms will go off.

Actually the sum is $10,000, and you don't have to be an alien, illegal or
otherwise, to trigger the paperwork.

When I last worked in a bank, it was a $10,000 CASH transaction that
was reportable. Checks and wire transfers didn't have to be reported,
though we did want to examine signatures on checks above a certain
amount. But anybody trying to move important amounts of money out of
a bank on short notice is going to get scrutinized by the bank, if the
bank doesn't know you already. They want to make sure you're not
using them for suspicious or illegal transactions.

I can well imagine Sam asking an uninformed bank employee why the
problem withdrawing this account, and the employee giving an offhand
answer concerning a law that doesn't actually apply. That would leave
Sam looking equally uninformed.

David Ames