NY Attorney General to Beatriz Marinello: Your Ass is Grass

Old December 1st 04, 04:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess

Default NY Attorney General to Beatriz Marinello: Your Ass is Grass

I have just this minute received a letter by UPS from the office of
the New York Attorney General in Poughkeepsie NY. The letter is signed
by Jeane L. Strickland Smith, Assistant Attorney General. The letter
is from the Attorney General's Office to Judge Lawrence Horowitz, with
a copy to me, and is dated November 29, 2004.

The letter refers to "the purported sale of a building owned by the
United States Chess Federation".

The letter states that the Office of the Attorney General was not
notified of this sale and that such notification is required by
sections 510 and 511 of New York Not for Profit Law.

Notice to Beatriz Marinello and the rest of the Gang-of-Four: Time
fold up your tent and steal away in the night. You are not getting
away with this.

Old December 2nd 04, 01:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess

At 01:33 AM 12/2/2004 EST, wrote:
In a message dated 12/1/04 10:32:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Notice to Beatriz Marinello and the rest of the Gang-of-Four: Time fold up
your tent and steal away in the night. You are not getting away with this.

Sam Sloan

Sam,

The delegates will simply approve the sale again....by teleconference if
necessary.

YOU will not get away with forcing the organization to spend money on this
nuisance suit.

Eric C. Johnson
Alternate Delegate -- PA

Exactly the point. The delegates would never have approved this deal.
Beatriz Marinello will never be elected to anything in the USCF again.
They could have submitted this to a vote of the delegates at the
meeting in Ft. Lauderdale in August 2004 but they did not do so
because they knew that this would be voted down.

Also, New York Not-For-Profit Law required a vote by the voting
members, not just the delegates, and no such vote has been taken.
There are more than 40,000 voting members.

Look it up at
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/charities/sales.pdf

The New York Attorney General sent a copy of the pamphlet to the court
along with their recent letter, so they obviously feel that this is
relevant.

Old December 3rd 04, 08:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess

Default NY Attorney General to Beatriz Marinello et al

On 2 Dec 2004 20:44:38 -0800, (Rob Mitchell)
wrote:

Grant,
I looked up the organizations information. It is a 501(c) 3.
Here is the report:

"U S CHESS TRUST
3054 US Rt 9W
New Windsor, NY 12553

Chess is a positive alternative for at-risk children; studies indicate
that children exposed to chess show improvement in academic
performance and behavioral indicators.

EIN: 23-7016117
This organization files an IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ. It is a 501(c)(03)
public charity. Information in this report was supplied by the
nonprofit organization within the last two years.

Financial Snapshot for Fiscal Year Ending 2003

Revenue: $171,943

Expenses: $287,830

Assets: $597,986

Liabilities: $20,552 "

Rob Mitchell

This is an interesting and significant point. I do not know whether
this is important or not, but it might be.

The US Chess Trust is a subsidiary of the USCF. It shares office space
and some staff with the USCF. If the USCF moves to Crossville, will
the US Chess Trust move with it? The US Chess Trust is a 501(c)(3)
corporation, whereas the USCF is a 501(c)(4). I do not see how the US
Chess Trust can move and it seems too small to rent its own office
space. I believe that 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) status is tied to the
state. When the USCF was incorporated in Illinois in 1939, it was not
a 501(c)(4) corporation. It became a 501(c)(4) after it established a
headquarters in New York City. I believe, but I am not sure, that if
the USCF moves to Tennessee it will have to qualify again as a
501(c)(4) and it might not qualify again. As Grant Perks notes, the
USCF has already been investigated by the IRS regarding its business
operations. It survived the investigation, but if it moves to
Tennessee it will not be protected by any grandfather clause. It may
have to file a new application and this time the application might not
be approved.

If anybody knows the answers to these questions, please post it.

Obviously, these subjects should have been researched before it voted
to move.

Old December 4th 04, 03:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
David Ames

(Sam Sloan) wrote in message ...
On 2 Dec 2004 20:44:38 -0800,
(Rob Mitchell)
wrote:

[...]

What reason to believe that, Sam? If an organization complies with
the Federal tax code, it could be located anywhere in the Federal
jurisdiction, couldn't it?

David Ames
Old December 4th 04, 05:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
Leopold

writes:

Notice to Beatriz Marinello and the rest of the Gang-of-Four: Time fold

up
your tent and steal away in the night. You are not getting away with

this.

Sam Sloan

Sam,

The delegates will simply approve the sale again....by teleconference if
necessary.

YOU will not get away with forcing the organization to spend money on

this
nuisance suit.

What money? The USCD does not have any money, that's why they had to get rid
of their B&E dept. and their building which they could no longer aford to
pay on the loans it owes.
I haven't figured out how they are going to afford to move to Crossville. I
better renew my membership again so they can use that $50.
Leopold