A Young Coder's Chess Toy

Old December 2nd 04, 03:48 AM posted to alt.chess,alt.games.chess,alt.games.chess.computer
jadenbane

Default A Young Coder's Chess Toy

Hey there, I think it is safe to assume that there is there are a fair
number of computer programmers lurking here. If there any who would be
interested in giving input to a chess program I want to write, I would love
some feedback. I am thinking about coding a chess "vision" or "geometry"
trainer that will help new players learn notation, configuration, moves,
foresight, etc. Right now (as far as functionality goes) I have:

Let (a1, y1) be Pa, (a2, y2) be Pb and (an, yn) Pn
- What is the colour of Pa
- Are Pa, Pb . . . and Pn the same colour
- Pa, Pb . . . and Pn on the same diagonal
- Is Pa a {pawn, rook, knight, bishop, queen, king}move away from Pb?
- Is Pa n {pawn, rook, knight, bishop, queen, king}moves away from Pb?
- Give me a book move (openings).

Any suggestions? Comments?