US Championship Player was forfeited when his cellular phone rang at the board.

Old December 3rd 04, 06:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess

Default US Championship Player was forfeited when his cellular phone rang at the board.

In Round 7 of the US Championship played today, IM Dmitry Schneider
was forfeited because his cell phone rang at the board.

Eric Johnson first became famous for doing this at his local club but
this is the first time this has happened at a grandmaster level
tournament that I am aware of.

IM Dmitry Schneider had an inferior position. It was going to be a
rook and pawn endgame with four pawns to three, all pawns on the same
side of the board. He probably would have lost anyway but he certainly
had drawing chances.

http://www.uschesschampionship.com/n...ngsresults.htm

Old December 3rd 04, 01:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
KidDon

(Sam Sloan) wrote in message ...
In Round 7 of the US Championship played today, IM Dmitry Schneider
was forfeited because his cell phone rang at the board.

Eric Johnson first became famous for doing this at his local club but
this is the first time this has happened at a grandmaster level
tournament that I am aware of.

IM Dmitry Schneider had an inferior position. It was going to be a
rook and pawn endgame with four pawns to three, all pawns on the same
side of the board. He probably would have lost anyway but he certainly
had drawing chances.

http://www.uschesschampionship.com/n...ngsresults.htm

Sam Sloan

_________________________
I am glad this rule is being enforced. I can only hope that it will
be applied consistently, but it is always difficult to have an
absolute bright line rule. Had, for example GM Hikaru Nakamura's cell
phone rang for one brief second, very quietly, while he had a superior
position over GM Gregory Kaidanov in Board 2 in round 7, would the
rule have been applied there as well? Would GM Nakamura have been
forfeited? (not picking on GM Nakamura here, just using an example).

kiddon
Old December 3rd 04, 04:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
Denis

(Sam Sloan) wrote in message Eric Johnson first became famous for doing this at his local club but
this is the first time this has happened at a grandmaster level
tournament that I am aware of.

Happened to FIDE WC Ponomarev, too a year ago.
Old December 6th 04, 04:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
Jerry Spinrad

Could this rule be used for rating manipulation? If you were behind in
a game, you could arrange to be forfeited by getting a cell phone
call, and thus not lose ratings points.

Jerry Spinrad

Old December 6th 04, 05:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
Bill Smythe

"Jerry Spinrad" wrote:
Could this rule be used for rating manipulation? If you were behind in
a game, you could arrange to be forfeited by getting a cell phone
call, and thus not lose ratings points.

Nope. That kind of a forfeit still counts for rating points. The only kind
of forfeit that avoids rating point changes is if one player or the other
played no moves.

Bill Smythe

Old December 6th 04, 02:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
Jeremy Spinrad

In that case, it seems that the rule would do some damage to the rating system if
it comes up too often.

Is this a mandatory rule in all tournaments, or is it up to the discretion of the
TDs? I don't have a cell phone myself, but as a scholastic coach I know some of
my scholastic players have a cell phone so their parents can call them up, and
for some of them I am not so sure they are proficient in setting it not to ring!

Jerry Spinrad

Old December 6th 04, 02:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess,alt.chess
Ray Gordon

So if you're losing, just call your opponent!