Grob's Angriff and The Tactical Grob are both out today

Old December 27th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
ChessFire

Default Grob's Angriff and The Tactical Grob are both out today

On Dec 24, 1:11*am, The Master wrote:
On Dec 23, 8:16*pm, None wrote:

On On Dec 22, 10:45*pm, None wrote:

How happy we are that you were not elected to the USCF board.

Not surprising since I never ran nor even entained the thought of
running.

And I ...unrelated drivel snipped

* You have to allow for the fact that Dr. Innes is evidently insane.

The Minor is very confused this season. He accuses me of being Ray
Lopez, or rather Ray of being me. He has never heard of rotating anon
accounts, but I thought it was a proponent of them in rgcc 10 years
ago?

* For example, what sane person would launch an attack on those
who are 'abuseniks' and in the same post include mostly abuse of
his own creation?
* Who but a lunatic would blast those who do not play over the
board, while himself refusing challenges to do just that?

Poor Minor forgot that he was offered to play correspondence where the
rest of us do. He was a tad parano at the time, and confused me with
Rybka. But my comment is to do with excising all chess comment to do
as he and others do which is to only offer abuse. Here he complains
that I have no right to point this out since it would make me a
hypocrite.

* And who else but a nutcase would veer so far off course in his
'defense' of Mr. Sloan's advertisements in rgc as to change the
subject of discussion to 'how effective is the Grob?' from the real
question which is 'are Sloan's chess book advertisements really
spam when they appear in chess newsgroups'?

How about anyone's chess books being spam when they are mentioned in
chess newsgroups. You may or may not like the book, but publishing
chess books /is/ chess news, and legit news, IMO. If the Minor didn't
like the fact of Sloan's post being an advertisement, maybe he could
like the fact that the Grob is tactically interesting.

But spot the whiner! The Minor is the whiner because he didn't like
either type of post.

* I think the answers are self-evident: only a complete nutjob --or
a world champion caliber hypocrite-- would do such things. *Thus,
rgc readers must judge for themselves whether what we have here
is a case of *total insanity* or a bona fide world champion level
competitor in the 'sport' of hypocrisy. * *The first choice has the
added benefit of nicely accounting for Mr. Innes' belief that Mr.
Booz ran for USCF office-- something the second choice leaves
unexplained.

The Minor always defends people who do not sign their names, and who
switch their identities now and again, and whose output is 90% abuse.
He then diagnoses any other opinion or behavior as insane.

Cordially, Ray Shakespeare.

Old December 28th 10, 08:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
The Master

On Dec 27, 11:21*am, ChessFire wrote:

* For example, what sane person would launch an attack on those
who are 'abuseniks' and in the same post include mostly abuse of
his own creation?

* Who but a lunatic would blast those who do not play over the
board, while himself refusing challenges to do just that?

Poor Minor forgot that he was offered to play correspondence where the
rest of us do.

As I recall, I did play some correspondence chess a long time ago.
Made fair progress until such time as everyone could afford one of
those electromechanical contraptions which so irked Larry Evans.
Stranglely, all my opponents started getting stronger and stronger!
My solution was to play more over the board, where cheaters were
inconvenienced by having to calculate their own moves. Made fair
progress once more until I ran up against what might be described
as 'near professional' players, folks who studied the openings to the
point of obsession. A few of these could quote Nunn as effortlessly
as a clergyman can quote Genesis 1:1. Strange birds.

* And who else but a nutcase would veer so far off course in his
'defense' of Mr. Sloan's advertisements in rgc as to change the
subject of discussion to 'how effective is the Grob?' from the real
question which is 'are Sloan's chess book advertisements really
spam when they appear in chess newsgroups'?

How about anyone's chess books being spam when they are mentioned in
chess newsgroups.

Precisely. I've raised this issue a number of times.

You may or may not like the book, but publishing
chess books /is/ chess news, and legit news, IMO. If the Minor didn't
like the fact of Sloan's post being an advertisement, maybe he could
like the fact that the Grob is tactically interesting.

It so happens that I have expressed no opinion on this matter
one way or another. In fact, my reaction to Sloan's post was to
wonder why such an old book would be of much interest to
buyers. I imagine that most chessplayers would like to have an
up to date, more definitive work on their favorite offbeat lines. I
would speculate that this particular book, like many others, has
special significance to Sam Sloan as perhaps being one from
which he personally learned about the Grob. But this is not a
good reason to reprint something en masse.

The Minor always defends people who do not sign their names, and who
switch their identities now and again, and whose output is 90% abuse.

In fact I am a regular ridiculer of Phil Innes, if that is who you
mean (and it seems to be so).

He then diagnoses any other opinion or behavior as insane.

Well, I do admit to calling a spade a spade. If someone's rgc
persona regularly exhibits irrational behavior, I will call it as I
see
it. Sunshine can be a powerful disinfectant.

Old December 28th 10, 11:46 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis
samsloan

On Dec 28, 3:20*am, The Master wrote:

* It so happens that I have expressed no opinion on this matter
one way or another. *In fact, my reaction to Sloan's post was to
wonder why such an old book would be of much interest to
buyers. *I imagine that most chessplayers would like to have an
up to date, more definitive work on their favorite offbeat lines. *I
would speculate that this particular book, like many others, has
special significance to Sam Sloan as perhaps being one from
which he personally learned about the Grob. *

Many people assume that but this is not the case.

I did not learn the Grob from these books. I had been playing the Grob
for several years before I even learned about these books, and I never
even saw these books until very recently when I decided to reprint
them.

If you search you will see that no copies of this book have been
available for many years. There is a high demand for them and as a
result none have been available for sale.

You will be able to find them for the first time now at the following
locations:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871878678
http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871878678

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=487187866X
http://www.amazon.com/dp/487187866X

Old December 28th 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis
The Master

On Dec 28, 6:46*am, samsloan wrote:

On Dec 28, 3:20*am, The Master wrote:

* It so happens that I have expressed no opinion on this matter
one way or another. *In fact, my reaction to Sloan's post was to
wonder why such an old book would be of much interest to
buyers. *I imagine that most chessplayers would like to have an
up to date, more definitive work on their favorite offbeat lines. *I
would speculate that this particular book, like many others, has
special significance to Sam Sloan as perhaps being one from
which he personally learned about the Grob. *

Many people assume that but this is not the case.

I did not assume, but was merely speculating.

I did not learn the Grob from these books. I had been playing the Grob
for several years before I even learned about these books, and I never
even saw these books until very recently when I decided to reprint
them.

If you search you will see that no copies of this book have been
available for many years. There is a high demand for them and as a
result none have been available for sale.

That is very strange logic. If there is high demand for something
it ought to be in good supply for as Adam Sith wrote, high demand
leads to higher prices, which in turn leads to people gravitating
toward supplying that demand in order to maximize their own self
interest (i.e. profit).

Can you explain why there would be very high demand for these
particular books? I have in my hands a copy of USCF's catalog
in which literally hundreds of chess books appear. In addition to
having to choose between older works on a given opening or line
versus a more recent one, there is also the annoying fact that the
USCF claims (on page 3), in a way that is hard to miss, that the
study of chess DVDs is 70% more effective than studying books.
Egads! Go right ahead you lame-brains and keep on with your
gawking at books. I will surge ahead (or more likely, try to catch
up from way behind) by leaping into the future with chess DVDs.

{ A seventy percent advantage may be all the edge I need over
Johnny Rambo. Where did they dig us people up? What do
you mean? I say let him escape... create a hole for him to slip
through. Diffuse the whole situation. In six months they'll pick
him up working at a car wash in Seattle. Talk to me Johnny.}

In any case time will tell if there really is a 'high demand' for
such works. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be yet
another example of Sam Sloan's proclivity for inventing 'facts.'
As with Sanny, Mr. Sloan's 'facts' always seem to line up all
too neatly with his fantasies.
Old December 28th 10, 04:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis
samsloan

On Dec 28, 9:36*am, The Master wrote:
[...]

I do this for a living so I can explain it very easily.

If there is a book that is almost impossible to find or is available
only at excessively high prices, that means that all the cheap copies
have been bought up.

If I can find such a book and establish that it is out of copyright
and nobody else has reprinted it, I will reprint it thereby satisfying
the demand.

Go check Amazon for some books. You will find many copies of "Gone
with the Wind" available for $2 plus shipping and handling. Therefore
I will not reprint that book.

Now, go look for Grob's Angriff by Henry Grob and The Tactical Grob
and the Tactical Grob by Claude Bloodgood. You will find no copies,
none at all, available anywhere. In fact, the Tactical Grob was just
reprinted by me yesterday. I know that it is out, but you do not,
because Amazon has not listed it yet. Now check back in a few days and
you will find it listed there.

The reason I am telling you all these trade secrets of mine is I want
you to know what I am looking for so that if you find a book like this
you will tell me about it so that I will reprint it. I know that you
are not going to compete with me by going into the business of
reprinting old books.

Old December 28th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis
Taylor Kingston[_2_]

On Dec 28, 11:00*am, samsloan wrote:

Now, go look for Grob's Angriff by Henry Grob and The Tactical Grob
and the Tactical Grob by Claude Bloodgood. You will find no copies,
none at all, available anywhere.

That may be true of the Bloodgood book, and of the Bloodgood book,
but I found 4 of Grob's available at abebooks.com.
Old December 28th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis
RayLopez99

On Dec 28, 6:00*pm, samsloan wrote:

The reason I am telling you all these trade secrets of mine is I want
you to know what I am looking for so that if you find a book like this
you will tell me about it so that I will reprint it. I know that you
are not going to compete with me by going into the business of
reprinting old books.

Why not reprint the classic chess tome by Murray, History Of Chess
with a new foreward by Sam Sloan? Or Shady Side, the life and crimes
of Norman Tweed Whitaker, which shows a young you bouncing on his
knee?

If nobody buys these books you can warehouse them.

RL
Old December 29th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis
samsloan

On Dec 28, 3:33*pm, raylopez99 wrote:
On Dec 28, 6:00*pm, samsloan wrote:

The reason I am telling you all these trade secrets of mine is I want
you to know what I am looking for so that if you find a book like this
you will tell me about it so that I will reprint it. I know that you
are not going to compete with me by going into the business of
reprinting old books.

Why not reprint the classic chess tome by Murray, History Of Chess
with a new foreward by Sam Sloan? *Or Shady Side, the life and crimes
of Norman Tweed Whitaker, which shows a young you bouncing on his
knee?

If nobody buys these books you can warehouse them.

RL

I will not reprint Murray's History of Chess because I believe that
his "history" is false and largely fabricated.

I cannot reprint "Shady Side, the life and crimes of Norman Tweed
Whitaker" because the author, Hilbert, is alive and very active. The
book just came out a few years ago. . Definitely, I cannot reprint a
book after 1978 unless I have written permission from the author. I am
looking primarily for books first published before 1950 where the
author is dead, has left no heirs and there is no copyright
registration in effect.

Thank you for the suggestions. I always appreciate hearing ideas and
sometimes I act on them.

Old December 29th 10, 01:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis
Taylor Kingston[_2_]

On Dec 28, 8:10*pm, samsloan wrote:

I will not reprint Murray's History of Chess because I believe that
his "history" is false and largely fabricated.

Heck, Sam, then it should be right down your alley.
Old December 31st 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis
samsloan

On Dec 29, 8:20*am, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
On Dec 28, 8:10*pm, samsloan wrote:

I will not reprint Murray's History of Chess because I believe that
his "history" is false and largely fabricated.

* Heck, Sam, then it should be right down your alley.

Why does Stan Booz keep changing the title of this thread?