Response to Goichberg's Election Recommendations

Old June 11th 13, 03:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.politics,alt.chess
samsloan

Default Response to Goichberg's Election Recommendations

The increase in TLA fees was one of many major mistakes by George
DeFeis. The most noteworthy fatality of these fees was Manhattan Chess
Club that stopped advertising as a result and then went out of
business and closed down.

However, it is wrong to blame Redman entirely for this. Again, you
were not there, I was there. At the 2001 Delegates meeting in
Framingham, DeFeis strongly defended these fees. After Redman was no
longer president, DeFeis continued to defend these fees. This proved
that these fees were the idea of DeFeis, not Redman.

Old June 11th 13, 07:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.politics,alt.chess
samsloan

On Sunday, February 18, 2001 George DeFies was in a major car accident
in Parsippany, New Jersey, during the US Amateur Team Championship
East. DeFeis had just finished talking to me. He did not seem drunk at
the time but drinking may have been a factor. He ran a red light upon
leaving the hotel parking lot and was immediately hit by two cars
coming in opposite directions.

DeFeis was said to have suffered brain damage but was allowed to
return to work without a thorough checkup. This may have been a major
mistake.

Many of the bad things DeFeis did occurred after the car accident and
the brain injury. However, he was already bad in my opinion because
the subject we were discussing was some critical remarks I had made
about Redman, which he had not allowed me to mail to the voting
members on the USCF mailing list, until he had read them.

He admitted in our conversation that he had never actually read my
letter. This was a long term problem with DeFeis. He did not do the
required reading that any executive director is required to do. DeFeis
often made statements when he did not know what he was talking about.

You are correct that the solution would have been to fire DeFeis. Then
we could have gotten somebody really, really good like Niro earlier
than we did.

The truth is our last three executive directors have been disasters in
varying degrees. Firing one director just to get another one is not
necessarily a solution.

Although Goichberg complains NOW about the bad things that happened
while Redman was president, I did not see him complaining about these
things at that time. I was the one complaining about Redman, not
Goichberg. Now, however, I am voting for Redman.