Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : alt.chess (Alternative Chess Group) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Rossolimo - Fischer 1967 by Rev.Dr. LoBotomy
After white's move 48 the position was: http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3294/rossolimofischer.jpg Why in heaven's name wouldn't Fischer play Rxd8? Instead he played 48... Qb8. Here's the game:
October 10th 10 02:39 AM
by Rev.Dr. LoBotomy Go to last post
2 668
Olympiad Hotel in Khanty-Mansiysk is Closing Right Now by samsloan
"Potemkin village" has come to mean, especially during Soviet times, any hollow or false construct, meant to create the illusion that the common people were living well. Potemkin villages were constructed along the sides of railroad lines, so that passing travelers could not see the true living conditions of the people. The Olympiad Hotel in Khanty-Mansiysk is not a Potemkin village. It is or...
October 7th 10 01:17 AM
by micky Go to last post
2 719
Bulgarian Party a Great Success by samsloan
Bulgarian Party a Great Success On the evening of 30 September 2010, the Bulgarian Chess Federation held a party at the Gostinyi Dvor Shopping Center in Khaty-Mansiysk, Siberia, Russia. The purpose of the party was to make a presentation for the bid by Albena, Bulgaria to host the 2014 World Chess Olympiad. The party was hosted by chess tournament organizer Dr. Jivko Dimitrov.
October 1st 10 06:08 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 510
Ilyumzhinov Re-elected!? by BLafferty
On 9/29/2010 11:26 AM, Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) wrote: On Sep 29, 7:31 am, wrote: OUTRAGEOUS CONDUCT OF CONGRESS MEETING Apparently Kirsan ran the meeting, refusing to permit Kasparov or Karpov to speak and shut off all members of the opposition. The battle on the floor went on for hours as members of the Karpov team kept...
September 30th 10 12:48 PM
by BLafferty Go to last post
1 543
I have arrived at the World Chess Olympiad in Khanty-Mansiysk,Siberia, Russia by micky
Bobcat wrote: .. Thank you SBD and Taylor Kingston for your explantion. Old dogs *can* learn new tricks, until your explanation I had never heard of Forsyth Edwards Notation, only Descriptive Notation and Algebraic Notation, so this is a new one on me. Huh ! I notice no mention of PGN - notation - in the above notational glut - a notation infinitely preferable to FEN - oh tailess one..
September 30th 10 08:45 AM
by sd Go to last post
1 486
No Irregularities in Voting at the FIDE Congress by samsloan
Already there is talk of court challenges to the results of the FIDE Election. However, I can assure you that any such challenge will go nowhere. The tellers went to great lengths to make sure there were no irregularities in the actual voting. First the ballot box which was a clear plastic box was shown to be empty. The delegates were told that no cameras, cell phones, black berries or other...
September 30th 10 05:37 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 488
Ilyumzhinov Re-elected!? by samsloan
Presidents of chess federations and delegates from chess federations were allowed to speak during the business meeting. However, as Karpov and Kasparov were neither the president of any chess federation nor the delegate from any chess federation they were not allowed to speak except that Karpov was given 15 minutes to speak just before the voting. At the beginning of the meeting at 10:00 AM the...
September 30th 10 03:49 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 471
Richard Conn Embarrasses USCF Delegation by samsloan
On Monday September 27, 2010 the FIDE Executive Board held its meeting at the Congress Hall, also known as the “Chess Academy”, in Khanty- Mansiysk, South-Western Siberia, Russia. The Chairman of the meeting, FIDE Deputy President Georgios Makropoulos, announced that most of the major issues would be put over to the FIDE General Assembly, so only two issues would be discussed. These were the...
September 29th 10 09:34 PM
by None Go to last post
1 496
Kirsan re-elected President of FIDE by 95 to 55 votes over Karpov by samsloan
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has been re-elected President of FIDE by 95 to 55 votes over Anatoly Karpov. In a raucus meeting in which the normal parlimentary rules were ignored, three scrutineers were appointed: Carol Jarecki of the British Virgin Islands, Allan Herbert of Barbados and Roberto Rivello of Italy. The results of the votes we
September 29th 10 07:54 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 460
I have arrived at the World Chess Olympiad in Khanty-Mansiysk, Siberia, Russia by MikeMurray
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:41:32 -0700 (PDT), The Master wrote: Oh, I very much doubt that computers have any trouble with either notation. FEN requires fewer characters and thus solved a problem that used to exist some years ago with regard to computer storage space (at least for large position databases) or slow transmission rates. Today you can go to your...
September 29th 10 10:49 AM
by The Master Go to last post
3 495
I have arrived at the World Chess Olympiad in Khanty-Mansiysk,Siberia, Russia by The Master
On Sep 28, 6:20*pm, sd wrote: No FEN also tells you more in less space. In the ASCII version, you have no idea (unless the kings have moved) if castling rights are preserved, whose move it is, what move it is, and so on. This assumes that the person recording the position left all that out! When I used to write down a position in what you appear to be calling...
September 29th 10 02:11 AM
by The Master Go to last post
0 414
FEN vs. ASCII (was: I have arrived at the World Chess Olympiad inKhanty-Mansiysk, Siberia, Russia) by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
On Sep 28, 2:12*am, Bobcat wrote: a serious flaw in FEN in that it cannot be 'solved' or easily decoded, unlike the elementary: wKg1,Qd1,Nd2,e3,Bc1,c2,Ra1,e1,Pa2,b2,e4,f4,g4,h3/ bKg8,Qb6,Ne5,f6,Be7,g6,Rc8,e8,Pa6,b5,d6,f7,g7,h7 And *here* is the real bottom line!! Given that Algebraic Notation is being promoted as the universal form of chess...
September 28th 10 10:45 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
2 491
Conditions Great, Nearly Perfect for 2010 World Chess Olympiad by samsloan
Conditions Great, Nearly Perfect for 2010 World Chess Olympiad After all the fears of gloom and doom, it was wonderful when things turned out to be perfect here in Khanty-Mansiysk in South-Western Siberia. The just completed Olympiad Hotel is wonderful. The “Chess Academy” where the FIDE Congress Meetings are being held was completed on September 8, 2010. Perhaps even more importantly, the...
September 28th 10 05:23 PM
by None Go to last post
1 586
John Hillery, Requiescat in pace by samsloan
Brian Lafftery has caused a great controversy when he posted the following to the USCF Issues Forum: My experience of John Hillary was entirely negative. Rarely have I come across a person so completely filled with bile and the false argumentation of the sophist. In my opinion, based on my interactions with him, the world is a better place with him moving on to his next incarnation. To label him...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 22nd 10 08:54 PM
by Mark Houlsby[_5_] Go to last post
10 869
Bishop lost. by walt tonne
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_THRUWAY_WRECK?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
September 20th 10 12:34 AM
by walt tonne Go to last post
0 659
Ishi Press Donates chess books to Karpov Election Campaign by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
On Sep 14, 9:02*am, samsloan wrote: It now looks like Karpov might actually win the FIDE Election, coming back from what seemed like a hopelessly lost position a few months ago, so Ishi Press has decided to jump on the bandwagon and support a winner. Karpov is now doomed.
September 14th 10 03:59 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
0 396
Kirsan Persona non Grata? by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
On Sep 13, 9:37*am, BLafferty wrote: Confirmed: Russian embassies around the world calling local sports and chess officials urging them to support Karpov. Kirsan is non grata. --Mig Greengardhttp://twitter.com/chessninja/statuses/24310395861 One possible take on the Kirsan non-grata thing is that with the CAS hearing due to start this week, the Russian Olympic...
September 13th 10 05:04 PM
by BLafferty Go to last post
3 436
FIDE/CAS Update by B. Lafferty[_2_]
CAS has set a hearing date in the Karpov vs. Kirsan arbitration. The date is prior to the FIDE meeting in Siberia. This means that CAS is moving very expeditiously toward deciding the dispute--possibly before the scheduled presidential election vote. I understand the Case & White have been devoting substantial pro bono effort to hearing preparations. The big question is whether or not...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 18th 10 09:08 PM
by Mark Houlsby[_5_] Go to last post
12 1,079
Sam's Games from the 2010 US Open Championship by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
On Aug 15, 12:12*pm, samsloan wrote: After the game, I informed her that she is probably a distant cousin of mine as my great-great-grandmother was Elizabeth McRobert (1812-1879) from Stranraer, Scotland and the name is not common even there. Sam, everyone is at least a distant cousin of everyone else.
August 17th 10 09:34 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
9 611
Sam's Games from the 2010 US Open Championship by sd
On Aug 15, 11:12*am, samsloan wrote: I started off very badly in the 2010 US Open Chess Championship (and Jerry Hanken Memorial), losing to or drawing with players rated far below me (and lucky to do that). I recovered or got back into practice somewhat near the end and had an outside chance to win a smal money prize. However, I lost in the last round and ended...
August 16th 10 09:59 PM
by sd Go to last post
0 469
Post New Thread