Walking through a brick wall

Old July 21st 03, 03:02 PM
Ivan

Default Walking through a brick wall

I am at a brick wall in my playing ability
so i was wondering how do you get better when you feel like you are
not improving anymore
Old July 21st 03, 08:09 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

Professional instructor.
And I don`t mean just a strong player, like a Grandmaster (most or all of
them are not professional TEACHERS, they`re professional PLAYERS). Find
someone who actually has studied education methods, courses, all that.
Beware of Grandmaster and International Masters trying to scam you. Most of
the best teachers I know of are "low level" national Masters, FIDE Masters,
and around that range.

- Joshua B. Lilly

om...

Old July 21st 03, 10:18 PM
Loki

Holy crap. What a question!

I agree with all of the responses so far. Get a coach, an experienced
tutor, not just a good player. Or seek another hobby.

It's been my personal experience that you get better in leaps and bounds,
not just a little at a time. You hit a plateau, then you play the game,
sometimes for months, and then you hit a breakthrough. I'm sure at the
higher levels the plateaus can last years, or even a lifetime. But if
you're at a "brick wall" then it seems that the brick wall is you do not
have the ability to find the weaknesses of your own games. So you seek out
and find a tutor.

The difference between a great teacher and a great player is that a great
player can tell you exactly what you did wrong. But a great teacher can
explain to you why you did these things wrong and help you make an effort to
clean up your game.

I took lessons from Dan Heisman for a few months and I learned a HUGE
amount. So much that I am still trying to apply all the knowledge. He's a
fantastic teacher for a true novice like myself. I think the problem you
run into with a lot of GM teachers is that they just don't remember how
utterly retarded the novice's mind works. I don't mean this in a derogatory
way, but in a literal way. A good analogy might be me trying to teach a
Russian how to speak English. Just because I know how to speak English
(barely) doesn't mean I can show someone else. I wouldn't know how to
begin.

In any case, one thing that got left out, is you need to be willing to put
forth mammoth efforts with no fast results at all. A running theme with a
lot of books and some poor teachers is to lure you in with the, "I'll make
you a Grandmaster in 6 short months!" approach. I have fallen victim to
this method a few times when buying books. Anything or anyone who can
promise you a meteoric rise in your chess skills is blowing smoke up your
lowest oriface. There is no shortcuts. You must do the work. Or, if
you're lucky, you can be a natural.

Anyway, good luck. I don't think there's a chess player alive who has not
hit brick wall after brick wall. You must be a novice if you're asking this
question! Almost any player with even a low degree of experience will tell
you that you're in for a long and sometimes unrewarding process. But if you
stick with it you may be surprised in what you learn. Leaps and bounds.
Leaps and bounds.

om...