Damiano

Old July 25th 03, 10:54 AM
Hess

Default Damiano

After reading article in Chesscafe about Damiano's gambit I became
curious if it was so bad after all. The line which I'm talking about
is this:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f6 3.Nxe5 (3.Bc4 is another story) Qe7 4.Nf3 d5 5.d3
dxe4 6.dxe4 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nc6 (I suppose 7.-Bf5 is considered better but
it looks more suspicious to me) 8.0-0 Bd7 9.Nc3 Qf5

Now as Tim McGrew wrote 10.Bd3 Qh5 11.Bf4 0-0-0 12.Nb5 (I suppose
there must be something better for white than this) a6 13.Nxc7 g5
14.Bg3 f5 and white doesn't seem to have more than a draw by 15.Nd5 f4
16.Nb6+ Kc7 17.Nd5+ Kc8 18.Nb6+

I played few blitz games with this variation and scored quite well
after black's ninth move. Of course my opponents didn't really seem to
know the position well. White certainly has some advantage but that's
the case in all openings anyway. I think Damiano's defense really has
too bad reputation.
Old February 26th 05, 08:45 PM
jones662 jones662 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess
joe wrote in message ...
In article
,
(Hess) wrote:

After reading article in Chesscafe about Damiano's gambit I became
curious if it was so bad after all. The line which I'm talking about
is this:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f6 3.Nxe5 (3.Bc4 is another story) Qe7 4.Nf3 d5 5.d3
dxe4 6.dxe4 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nc6 (I suppose 7.-Bf5 is considered better but
it looks more suspicious to me) 8.0-0 Bd7 9.Nc3 Qf5

10. Nh4! looks strong here. White now threatens Bh5+ followed by a
possible sac on g6 and/or Re1+. Isn't this mentioned in Chesscafe?

10.Nh4 is not very critical move and I think 10.Bd3 is better.

After 10.Nh4 Qa5 white can play 10.Bh5+ (though I think better is some
other move but in any case black will castle queen side and does not
have any special problems) but after 10.-g6 11.Re1 Nge7 white has to
withdraw the bishop or try 12.Bxg6+!? (12.Nxg6 is even worse) hxg6
13.Nxg6 Rg8 14.Nxf8 Rxf8 15.Nd5 Kd8 and I think with correct play
black will keep advantage here though his king may become under
danger.
The Damiano defense contains a number of pitfalls that white must be aware of. Have caught five people in traps in the last two wks. Same move order e4 e5 nf3 f6 nxe5 f6xe5 qh5check Ke7 queenxe5 check kf7 bc4 check d5 bishop xd5 check and then king moves to g6 and they play pawn to d4 getting their queen trapped. only way to save it is bishop f7 check giving up the piece but most of the time they leave their queen stranded on e5 and move ahead with a pawn storm. queen sac doesn't work there.
Old February 28th 05, 03:26 AM
[email protected]

jones662 wrote:
Hess Wrote:
The Damiano defense contains a number of pitfalls that white must be
aware of. Have caught five people in traps in the last two wks.

Same
move order e4 e5 nf3 f6 nxe5 f6xe5 qh5check Ke7 queenxe5 check kf7

bc4
check d5 bishop xd5 check and then king moves to g6 and they play

pawn
to d4 getting their queen trapped. only way to save it is bishop f7
check giving up the piece but most of the time they leave their queen
stranded on e5 and move ahead with a pawn storm. queen sac doesn't
work there.

Instead of d4, white can play h4 threatening h5 mate.
Then 8...h5 9.Bxb7 Black can't play Bxb7 because of Qf5+
so black has nothing better than 9...Bd6 10.Qa5 Bb4 11.Qxb4
(11.Qb5 a6 freeing the rook) Bxb7 12.Qxb7 Nd7 and white is
up four pawns.

Old March 1st 05, 10:14 AM

jones662 wrote:
Hess Wrote:
[...]

Yes but black can play h6 instead of h5 which will prolong the game. In a 5min blitz game it is very unlikely that someone could refute it. One false move in the Damiano defense and white is dead in the water.
Old March 1st 05, 04:09 PM
Ray Gordon

[...]

And if White is booked up, Black LOSES out of the opening.