Best game ever...?

Old July 31st 03, 11:06 AM
Damir Ulovec

Default Best game ever...?

Folks, there's something on my mind in a last few days: what's the best chess
game you even seen? What I meant is prettiness of moves and combinations,
regardless of player's ranking (all players with great visions are welcome)...

This could be an interesting, I think. Anybody?

Old July 31st 03, 08:38 PM
LeModernCaveman

No-brainer: Capablanca-Marshall in the "original Marshall Attack game."

Capablanca, OVER THE BOARD, found virtually every correct move to defeat
Marshall's home-brewed analysis he had been preparing forever for the express
purpose of surprising him.

I know of no other game that even comes close.

Old August 1st 03, 12:08 AM
Arfur Million

"Damir Ulovec" wrote in message
Folks, there's something on my mind in a last few days: what's the best

chess
game you even seen? What I meant is prettiness of moves and combinations,
regardless of player's ranking (all players with great visions are

welcome)...

This could be an interesting, I think. Anybody?

My favourite is Spassy-Reshko Leningrad 1959. I played it over again when I
saw your post, and put it through Fritz 8 (who doesn't understand the game
at all!). After somewhat weird opening play by both players, Spassky plays
an improbable rook sacrifice which seems to win in all lines! It really is
stunning, IMHO.

Arfur