Kasparov refuses to continue Simul game in Chicago!

Old August 2nd 03, 10:08 AM
LeModernCaveman

Default Kasparov refuses to continue Simul game in Chicago!

Does anyone find it a bit odd that the ex-world champion would require
a stated rating for participation in a simul by amateur players. I
can't imagine any of the famous players from the past doing this. The
two simuls I played in against Koltanowski and Seirawan nothing like
this was required.. I just think it is petty.

David L.

I was there, and didn't see it that way at all. The goal was to be done
withing
a specified time frame, and he was paid a specified dollar amount for his
services for the evening. He gave a nice talk, was very accommodating for
autographs, and provided a pleasant evening.

Part of his agreement was that the field would be rated below 2000 as a
result.
Given that he had agreed to various payment and other conditions based on
this,
why is it petty of him to want the conditions he agreed to? Moreover, he
offered to play anyway.

He wimped out on the white side of a Center Counter.

If Fischer were dead, he'd be turning over in his grave.

Fischer should write a book: "My great successors who wimp out in simuls on
the white side of a Center Counter."

This is perhaps the most pathetic competitive display by a world chess champion
in the history of the game, second only, maybe, to something or other Alekhine
must have done when he was not "in form."

Kasparov did the equivalent of kicking someone out of the supermarket express
lane for having 11 items.

Old August 2nd 03, 05:04 PM
LeModernCaveman

both players did the right thing in a gentlemanly manner,
and neither player was responsible for the mistake.

No, to refuse an offer from the world's best chess
player around, possibly the best ever, is not nice,
it is impolite (and VERY stupid). Kasparov's offer
was a great honor to the other, rank A player.

Bull****.

Once the game starts, Kasparov is the OPPONENT. He earns his respect ON THE
BOARD.

If he doesn't like the terms, then he shouldn't set up the board and start
playing.

It is clear that if the player had kept playing
a new game against kasparov, the latter
would have put particular attention to that game,
because losing it would have been a great humiliation.

I can't believe how silly you are!!!
Could you, beside typing, also think a little bit?

Kasparov's behavior was already humiliating. He wimped out against an expert
on the white side of a center counter.

In doing so he has tarnished his place in history in ways he couldn't possibly
comprehend now.

This story will be told 100 years from now along with many other colorful
moments from the history of the game.

The way it was handled was a
minimum-hassle solution. Kudos to all.

Henri

Kudos indeed :-) How stupid. It's incredible.

It's incredible that chess has become so political that it has become
acceptable for a world champion to behave this way and actually be praised for
it.

If anyone wants to give me 500-1 odds that I can split a two-game match against
Garry, I'd be happy to take it.

That's assuming he doesn't DUCK my challenge too!

What a ****ing WIMP!

Old August 2nd 03, 05:06 PM
LeModernCaveman

What rules have past grandmasters used about the strength of
their simultaneous opponents? Botvinnik wrote that, when playing
in Russia, Lasker let his opponents have white or black--- "It
was all the same to him."

Lasker held the title for 27 years and took on all comers.

That is how it should be.

Kasparov is but a wimp.

Old August 4th 03, 05:57 PM
Looney

"LeModernCaveman" wrote in message
both players did the right thing in a gentlemanly manner,
and neither player was responsible for the mistake.

No, to refuse an offer from the world's best chess
player around, possibly the best ever, is not nice,
it is impolite (and VERY stupid). Kasparov's offer
was a great honor to the other, rank A player.

Bull****.

You would know all about that...

Once the game starts, Kasparov is the OPPONENT. He earns his respect ON

THE
BOARD.

I'm pretty sure Kasparov is worthy of some respect in the chess world. He's
fairly well earned it.

If he doesn't like the terms, then he shouldn't set up the board and start
playing.

Oops... too bad your moron signal didn't go off... He did like the terms.
His opponent did not meet the terms, clearly. Gawd, what an idiot...

It is clear that if the player had kept playing
a new game against kasparov, the latter
would have put particular attention to that game,
because losing it would have been a great humiliation.

I can't believe how silly you are!!!
Could you, beside typing, also think a little bit?

Kasparov's behavior was already humiliating. He wimped out against an

expert
on the white side of a center counter.

In doing so he has tarnished his place in history in ways he couldn't

possibly
comprehend now.

Yeah, I don't think so. Everyone still thinks Alhekine's a great champion
and chessplayer, and that dude's got baggage Kasparov couldn't touch.
You're a poseur and a troll... of course, I'm feeding you, but someone's got
to keep you from starving.

This story will be told 100 years from now along with many other colorful
moments from the history of the game.

Perhaps, now and then, and everyone will just brush it off as a minor little
foible of a great champion and go back to talking about Bobby Fischer the
anti-semitic hatemongering sociopath.

The way it was handled was a
minimum-hassle solution. Kudos to all.

Henri

Kudos indeed :-) How stupid. It's incredible.

It's incredible that chess has become so political that it has become
acceptable for a world champion to behave this way and actually be praised

for
it.

Hey, he could have just thrown a tantrum and had the bum tossed and demand
the paycheck immediately and excoriated the organizers and ruined the event.
Instead he tried to give the guy an out to still play within the allotted
time. The fact that you gloss over that every time proves your inanity,
perniciousness, and idiocy.

If anyone wants to give me 500-1 odds that I can split a two-game match

against
Garry, I'd be happy to take it.

Nobody cares.

That's assuming he doesn't DUCK my challenge too!

Hey, as long as the event is set up for your rating class, and you mark your
rating on your name placard, I'm sure everything will be fine. If you try
and duck the rules, and considering what an asshole you've displayed
yourself to be that wouldn't surprise anyone, then you'd be dumped.

What a ****ing WIMP!

Speak for yourself.

Really, your type is rather interesting, the brusque, anti-social, insecure
type. You get your jollies by denigrating people for being people and
tearing down a champion over much smaller a fault than the things that
fester in your own life which you have not the personal strength to address.
You wallow in a morass of ineffectiveness and try to redress your lack by
tearing down someone others admire in the mistaken belief that your
diatribes somehow elevate your status amongst peers who have forgotten you
the moment they close your posts and to whom your status is as meaningless
as the crap you smear on the ng walls.

All the people staring at you right now? It ain't admiration on their
faces, little fella...

--
Looney
http://www.patzersprogress.com

Old August 9th 03, 08:00 PM
LeModernCaveman

Once the game starts, Kasparov is the OPPONENT. He earns his respect ON THE
BOARD.

If he doesn't like the terms, then he shouldn't set up the board and start
playing.

Apparently Kasparov felt the terms were that, considering the number
of opponents and the limited time available, he wouldn't play anyone
rated over 2000. I would be curious as to how or whether other grandmasters
have imposed limits on the strength of simultaneous opponents.
There seems to have been an honest misunderstanding, amicably resolved,
about exactly what rules had been agreed in advance.

Kasparov had no reason to quit. Not a legitimate one.

This story will be told 100 years from now along with many other colorful
moments from the history of the game.

Those "colorful moments" have included some other incidents at
simulaneous displays that did not reflect well on the performer. Supposedly,
Alekhine expressed his displeasure that he had one opponent more than he
was supposed to by knocking over the board. Some people have complained
about Reshevsky and others.

Yet Capablanca did a simul in Russia and noticed that some of the juniors he
was playing were exceptionally strong.

He profusely complimented their playing strength before explaining how he
dusted them off anyway.

Capablanca also refuted the Marshall attack over the board, and that would
appear to support the case for naming him the strongest player ever.

Old August 23rd 03, 05:03 AM
Mhoulsby

Capablanca also refuted the Marshall attack over the board, and that would
appear to support the case for naming him the strongest player ever.

Do you mean the Spanish Marshall, C89?

If so, did he actually refute it?

Are there no GMs who play it today?

Just curious....

Cheers
Mark
Old August 23rd 03, 01:05 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

Hello,

Capablanca play was very impressive after the novelty 8...d5!?

There are no GM playing the same line WITH BLACK!! and GM prefer (after
9.ed5 Nd5 10.Nxe5 Nxe5 11.Rxe5) to swith to 11...c6 in the place of
original Marshall 11...Nf6

AT

En/na Mhoulsby ha escrit: