opening references

Old August 1st 03, 04:58 PM
abi

Default opening references

are there any free online opening references ( like i have seen a site
specifically devoted to the DDG ) that discusses the various openings.
( or at least 1.e4 for white ) as that's what i play.

thnx
abi
Old August 1st 03, 05:34 PM
Mike Ogush

On 1 Aug 2003 07:58:08 -0700, (abi) wrote:

are there any free online opening references ( like i have seen a site
specifically devoted to the DDG ) that discusses the various openings.
( or at least 1.e4 for white ) as that's what i play.

thnx
abi

You may want to narrow your request since there are many openings that
start with 1.e4.

There is also some web pages which have links to other pages with
opening analysis:
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~goeller/..._analysis.html
http://www.geocities.com/fbi_gambit/openings.html
I don't know how up to date these are kept.

Additionally my using google judiciously you can find sites devoted to
individual opeings that result from 1.e4. For example I recently
found a site that is dedicated to Alekhine Defense:
http://www.geocities.com/alekhine_gotw/.

Mike Ogush

Old August 12th 03, 09:47 PM
Kirk Sadler

On 1 Aug 2003, abi wrote:

are there any free online opening references ( like i have seen a site
specifically devoted to the DDG ) that discusses the various openings.
( or at least 1.e4 for white ) as that's what i play.

thnx
abi

When I first started chess I was very disappointed in the lack of
literature dedicated to specific openings. Thus I created an Alekhine's
Defense site to remedy this problem
(http://www.geocities.com/alekhine_gotw),
albeit for a very isolated opening that is of little interest to the
majority of chess players. I was naively hoping to inspire someone to do
a comparable site dedicated to a more mainstream opening (e.g. Sicilian -
or even a specific branch or the Sicilian, or Ruy Lopez, or King's Gambit,
or Benoni Taimanov, or whatever) but it doesn't look like that's going to
be the case. Is there a reference of this type available for the Sicilian
for example, or is that inconceivable because of the scope of the project?

Kirk