Please analyse this ... Thanks in advance.

Old August 1st 03, 07:23 PM
Monster Ace

Default Please analyse this ... Thanks in advance.

A not very recent game I played online. I was playing black against white.
Any comments / advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Monster Ace

1. e4 g6 2. Bc4 Nf6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. d4 O-O 5. Be3 d6
6. f3 Be6 7. Bxe6 fxe6 8. Nh3 d5 9. O-O Nc6 10. e5
Nh5 11. g4 Nf6 12. exf6 exf6 13. Qd2 f5 14. Rae1 e5
15. dxe5 Nxe5 16. Nxd5 Nc4 17. Qd3 Nxb2 18. Qb3 c6
19. Nc7+ Rf7 20. Ne6 Qd5 21. Nxg7 Rxg7 22. Qxb2 Re8 23. Bh6 Rge7 24. Nf4
Qc5+ 25. Kg2 Rd8 26. Ne6 Qd6 27. Nxd8 Qxd8 28. Rxe7 Qxe7 29. Re1 Qf8 30. Re8
Qxe8 31. Qg7#
1-0

Old August 1st 03, 08:51 PM
mdamien

"Monster Ace" wrote in message
. ..
A not very recent game I played online. I was playing black against white.
Any comments / advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Monster Ace

1. e4 g6 2. Bc4 Nf6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. d4 O-O 5. Be3 d6
6. f3 Be6 7. Bxe6 fxe6 8. Nh3 d5 9. O-O Nc6 10. e5
Nh5 11. g4 Nf6 12. exf6 exf6 13. Qd2 f5 14. Rae1 e5
15. dxe5 Nxe5 16. Nxd5 Nc4 17. Qd3 Nxb2 18. Qb3 c6
19. Nc7+ Rf7 20. Ne6 Qd5 21. Nxg7 Rxg7 22. Qxb2 Re8 23. Bh6 Rge7 24. Nf4
Qc5+ 25. Kg2 Rd8 26. Ne6 Qd6 27. Nxd8 Qxd8 28. Rxe7 Qxe7 29. Re1 Qf8 30.

Re8
Qxe8 31. Qg7#

You overlooked a tactic and lost a piece at move 10. That's not something
you're likely to recover from. Even before this, your position was looking
pretty cramped and doubtful that your semi-open f file compensates for the
doubled e pawns. Maybe 1. ... e5 would be better for you.

Matt

Old August 1st 03, 09:13 PM
Monster Ace

Thanks for the tip. It does have the analysis capability.

I will download it soon and give it a try.
Monster Ace

"Jim Roe" wrote in message
Chess Assistant 7.1 has a nice program to analyize games. You set how
detailed you
want to analize - from blunder checks to deep analysis with notes.

CA7. is easy to use and has tons of features. go to their site and

download
CAlite. Not sure if it has the analysis component.

Fritz has the same feature.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:54 AM
Mr. Plow

I'll give it a shot. Here are some very general thoughts I had when going
over it; if any of these suggestions are wrong, I'm hopeful a stronger
player will set us all straight. I don't have a good pgn editor, this might
get pretty garbled on the way up.

1.e4 g6 2.Bc4

Violates principle of developing knights before bishops. It's not clear this
is the best square for the bishop, although further play may justify this
move. There is a greater certainty that Nf3, Nc3, or d4 are the correct
squares for these pieces.

2...Nf6 3.Nc3

Probably okay. White has a positional threat of e5, driving the N to an
awkward square, but Black can meet it. 3.e5 immediately is probably
sharpest. 3.d3 looks okay too, but Black can equalize with 3...d5.

3...Bg7?!

Black fails to meet the threat. 3...d6 looks better. Maybe even 3...Nxe4
4.Nxe4 d5.

4.d4

As noted, I think 4.e5 was to be considered, gaining space with tempo and
disrupting Black's development.

4...0-0 5.Be3 d6 6.f3

Kind of an odd-looking Saemisch-type move.

6...Be6?!

This can't be a good square for this bishop.

7.Bxe6?!

I don't think this is a good capture. The resulting doubled pawns are not
necessarily bad for Black, as he has improved his control of the center and
opened a file for his KR. I think a better plan for White might have been
Be3, and pushing his g- and/or h-pawns. Black has committed himself by
castling short so early, and his fianchettoed position is a target for a
kingside pawn storm. In other words, if White castles long, then we have an
opposite side pawn race, and White should get there first.

7...fxe6 8.Nh3

Looks bad since it blocks the h-pawn, which White should ram down Black's
throat. However, Nf4 is an interesting idea since it looks like it will be a
little awkward for Black to defend e6. 8...d5 It's a little hard to find a
good plan for black here, but this almost certainly is wrong. It moves a
pawn again instead of developing a piece. It potentially allows an opening
of the center when he is behind in development. And it makes the doubled
pawn weak, whereas it was okay before. Instead of this, I'd like to develop
the QN, but I don't really want to block my c5 pawn. Maybe 8...Na6 isn't so
crazy, with the idea ...b6 and ...c5. Also, Black's probably going to have
to play ...Qd7 at some point to protect the weak e-pawn, so maybe now was
the time to do that.

9.0-0?!

I don't think this is the right idea at all. I think White had a pretty
significant positional advantage. Maybe Nf4 followed by Qd2, 0-0-0, and h4.

9...Nc6

Black's play is on the queenside (once he takes care of his other problems).
I just don't think c6 is a good long-term square for this knight since it
blocks the c-pawn.

10.e5 Nh5??

Oops. You gotta make sure you don't goof up tactically first, otherwise
plans mean nothing.

11.g4! That should be the game.

11...Nf6 12.exf6 exf6 13.Qd2 f5 14.Rae1 e5 15.dxe5 Nxe5 16.Nxd5 Nc4 17.Qd3

Old August 4th 03, 02:57 PM
Monster Ace

Thanks for the analysis. I appreciare the effort you took to go thru it.
Thanks a lot.

Monster Ace

Old August 5th 03, 02:32 AM
Mark Hathaway

"Mr. Plow" wrote in message

I'll give it a shot. Here are some very general thoughts I had
when going over it; if any of these suggestions are wrong, I'm
hopeful a stronger player will set us all straight. I don't
have a good pgn editor, this might get pretty garbled on the
way up.

1.e4 g6 2.Bc4

Violates principle of developing knights before bishops. It's not
clear this is the best square for the bishop, although further play
may justify this move. There is a greater certainty that Nf3, Nc3,
or d4 are the correct squares for these pieces.

Bc4 is a fine move. Pf7 is a target and Black isn't going to weaken
his position by blocking with ...e7-e6. The principle of
Knights before Bishops be damned. Whoever invented that principle
probably never faced 1...g6.

2...Nf6

Likely a bad move as 3. e5 gains time chasing the knight around.
2...Bg7 or 2...d6 are more likely good.

3.Nc3

Probably okay. White has a positional threat of e5, driving the N
to an awkward square, but Black can meet it. 3.e5 immediately is
probably sharpest. 3.d3 looks okay too, but Black can equalize
with 3...d5.

3...Bg7?!

Black fails to meet the threat. 3...d6 looks better. Maybe even
3...Nxe4 4.Nxe4 d5.

3...Nxe4 4. Nxe4 d5 gives Black some breathing space,
but might not be in the style of that player.

3...d6 prevents e4-e5 and should be a good alternative.

4.d4

As noted, I think 4.e5 was to be considered, gaining space with
tempo and disrupting Black's development.

4. d4 is clearly good for White.

4...0-0

After this e4-e5 becomes more double-edged because
Black has ...Nf6-e8 and ...d6 to fight back.

5.Be3

White has a nice control of the center and should
probably protect that by avoiding the ...Nxe4 trick.
5. f3 or 5. Bb3 are good choices.

5...d6 6.f3

Kind of an odd-looking Saemisch-type move.

Some people like this, others prefer 6. Qd2 and
still others will go with 6. Bb3, 7. h3 and 8. Nf3.
There are still some good choices, though the ...Nxe4
'trick' should probably be avoided.

The 'odd-looking Saemisch-type move' is often played
to control light squares and to prevent ...Nf6-g4xe3.
To that end and to prevent the ...Nxe4 trick 6. f3
is pretty good.

6...Be6?!

This can't be a good square for this bishop.

This isn't good because it allows Bxe6 to weaken the
light squares around Kg8. Better is 6...a6 or 6...c6
in preparation for a general advance on the queen-side.

7.Bxe6?!

I don't think this is a good capture. The resulting doubled pawns
are not necessarily bad for Black, as he has improved his control
of the center and opened a file for his KR. I think a better plan
for White might have been Be3, and pushing his g- and/or h-pawns.
Black has committed himself by castling short so early, and his
fianchettoed position is a target for a kingside pawn storm.
In other words, if White castles long, then we have an
opposite side pawn race, and White should get there first.

This is the *best* way to exploit the mistake. Black's
'improved control of the center' won't help his king stay safe.
White can aim to open the h-file and attack Kg8. Where will
Black's counter-balancing offense come from? There isn't any!

7...fxe6 8.Nh3

Looks bad since it blocks the h-pawn, which White should ram
down Black's throat. However, Nf4 is an interesting idea since
it looks like it will be a little awkward for Black to defend
e6.

I'd prefer 8. Qd2, 9. O-O-O, but the general idea of Ng1-h3-f4
in conjunction with h2-h4-h5 should be good. Another way is
Ng1-e2-g3, h2-h4-h5. Nf4 might be preferred to Ng3 because it
would inhibit ...h5 by threatening Pg6.

8...d5

It's a little hard to find a good plan for black here,
but this almost certainly is wrong. It moves a pawn again instead
of developing a piece. It potentially allows an opening of the
center when he is behind in development. And it makes the doubled
pawn weak, whereas it was okay before. Instead of this, I'd like to
develop the QN, but I don't really want to block my c5 pawn. Maybe
8...Na6 isn't so crazy, with the idea ...b6 and ...c5. Also,
Black's probably going to have to play ...Qd7 at some point to
protect the weak e-pawn, so maybe now was the time to do that.

As you may surmise, Black's position is difficult.
Something 'wild and crazy' like ...b5 might be in order.
Black needs to quickly distract White's attention away
from Kg8. The idea of ...d5 9. e5 and then maybe ...c5
isn't horrible in the abstract, but it might fail in
practice. Black needs to act FAST.

9.0-0?!

I don't think this is the right idea at all. I think White had a pretty
significant positional advantage. Maybe Nf4 followed by Qd2, 0-0-0, and
h4.

9. e5 +/-

Keep the center closed and proceed down the h-file.

After O-O black can be more patient and try some
passive defense. It's hard to tell where White's offense
might come from now.

9...Nc6

Black's play is on the queenside (once he takes care of his other
problems).

I just don't think c6 is a good long-term square for this knight
since it blocks the c-pawn.

Although it's ugly, 9...dxe4 might be right. To open the
center is to make the whole board come to life.

10.e5 Nh5??

Oops. You gotta make sure you don't goof up tactically first,
otherwise plans mean nothing.

As ugly as it might be, 10...Ne8 has to be the least bad move here.

11.g4! That should be the game.

Yep.

11...Nf6 12.exf6 exf6 13.Qd2 f5 14.Rae1 e5 15.dxe5

15. Ne2 secures dark squares and only g4 is a bit weak.

15...Nxe5

15...d4 and the result is again in doubt.

16.Nxd5

Ignoring Black's possibilities will get you in trouble...
well it could. In this case 16. g5 to keep black's pieces
'quiet' should be adequate.

16...Nc4

16...fxg4 17. fxg4 Nf3+ 18. Rxf3 Rxf3 and the material is
a lot more equal. With White's king safety problem Black
might be able to hold a draw.

17.Qd3 Nxb2 18.Qb3 c6

18...Kh8 avoids the discovered check and subsequent loss
of material. If White aims for Qxb7 then he's just waiting
for Black to generate some real offense. White would be
better off aiming for piece trades.

19.Nc7+ Rf7 20.Ne6

Isn't 20. Nxa8 Qxa8 21. Ng5 sure to clinch the victory?
Use the pin on Rf7!

20...Qd5 21.Nxg7 Rxg7

21...Qxb3 22. axb3 Kxg7 and Nb2 is still stuck. +-

22.Qxb2

+-

22...Re8 23.Bh6

23. Qb3 forces another piece trade and makes the remaining
bit easier.

23...Rge7 24.Nf4 Qc5+ 25.Kg2 Rd8 26.Ne6

cute

26...Qd6 27.Nxd8 Qxd8 28.Rxe7 Qxe7 29.Re1 Qf8 30.Re8

Again, cute!

30...Qxe8 31.Qg7# 1-0

Old August 5th 03, 08:20 PM
Brennan

Recently Mark Hathaway honored
rec.games.chess.analysis with:

5.Be3

White has a nice control of the center and should
probably protect that by avoiding the ...Nxe4 trick.
5. f3 or 5. Bb3 are good choices.

Just in case Monster Ace is not familiar with this finesse, the
"...Nxe4 trick" is just so: play 5...Nxe4 here, and after 6.Nxe4 play
6...d5. In a game at this level, it can have a demoralizing effect on
the recipient of the trap, even if the positional benefit is slight.

Old August 5th 03, 09:39 PM
Brennan

Recently Mark Hathaway honored
rec.games.chess.analysis with:

Anon vs. Monster Ace

1.e2-e4 g7-g6 2.Bf1-c4 Ng8-f6 3.Nb1-c3 Bf8-g7 4.d2-d4 0-0 5.Bc1-e3
d7-d6 6.f2-f3 Bc8-e6

Mr. Plow
7.Bxe6?!

I don't think this is a good capture. The resulting doubled pawns
are not necessarily bad for Black, as he has improved his control
of the center and opened a file for his KR....

I agree with the superficial assessment about getting a new center
pawn and opening the f file for the rook, but -

This is the *best* way to exploit the mistake. Black's
'improved control of the center' won't help his king stay safe.
White can aim to open the h-file and attack Kg8. Where will
Black's counter-balancing offense come from? There isn't any!

- these points override the slight gains first mentioned. The other
problem with black's pawn center after 7.Bxe6! is that weaknesses on
the white squares abound, especially e6. Weak squares is a hard
concept to master, so MA, use this game as an example of what they are
and how to avoid them. The weakness on e6 plays a key role in this
game.

7...fxe6 8.Nh3 d5?

This is the prime example of what's wrong with the black pawn
structure. 8...e5 makes a stronger center, but cramps the g7 bishop
and leaves black defenseless on the white squares. So black tries to
do something with his extra center pawn, but ...d5 allows e5 by white,
which is now the key move.

9.0-0?!

I don't think this is the right idea at all. I think White had a pretty
significant positional advantage. Maybe Nf4 followed by Qd2, 0-0-0, and
h4.

9. e5 +/-

Keep the center closed and proceed down the h-file.

Yep. e5 also slams the door on the g7 bishop and fixes the weakness
on e6. The double e pawns then become immobile and greatly cramp
black's game.

9...Nc6

Black's play is on the queenside (once he takes care of his other
problems).

I just don't think c6 is a good long-term square for this knight
since it blocks the c-pawn.

Although it's ugly, 9...dxe4 might be right. To open the
center is to make the whole board come to life.

Maybe, but how many players are strong willed enough to voluntarily
submit themselves to isolated doubled pawns? Black has to realize
that 10.e5 is going to be very constricting, and take action. He
should have countered a possible e5 two moves ago.

10.e5! Nh5?

As ugly as it might be, 10...Ne8 has to be the least bad move here.

Yes, then move B to h8 (more ugliness), and N to g7 where it can help
stop a pawn storm. Eventually the Q is going to have to get to e8 to
help with the white squares and the kingside. By now it should be
obvious that black has too much reorganizing to do, and too little
time. ...Nh5 just shortens the misery.