Which opening is this?

Old August 5th 03, 11:17 PM
TruthXayer

Default Which opening is this?

Hi,

I was playing black and surprised to see my 2000+ rated opponent play
this... I finally won the game, but could somebody analyze and see
if there were interesting attacking lines available?

1. d4 {0:03} Nf6 {0:07}
2. e3 {0:01} g6 {0:09}
3. Bd3 {0:08} Bg7 {1:07}
4. c3 {0:05} d5 {1:32}
5. Nd2 {0:09} e5 {1:30}
6. dxe5 {0:06} Ng4 {1:02}
7. Ngf3 {0:47} c5 {1:41}
8. O-O {0:20} Nc6 {0:35}
9. h3 {0:37} Ngxe5 {0:10}
10. Nxe5 {0:05} Nxe5 {0:03}
11. Bc2 {0:39} O-O {2:43}
12. Nf3 {1:12} Nc6 {0:36}
13. Bb3 {1:25} d4 {0:16 The exchange could lead into
an isolated pawn
for black but white has to be
careful if black gets this isolated
pawn}
14. exd4 {0:32} cxd4 {0:13}
15. cxd4 {0:55} Nxd4 {0:06}
16. Nxd4 {0:59} Qxd4 {0:12}
17. Qf3 {1:02} Qb4 {1:54}
18. Rd1 {0:36} Bf5 {0:08}
19. Bd2 {1:24} Qe4 {0:24}
20. Bd5 {1:27 ??? decisive mistake a simple Qxe is better
, but blacks bishops control the long diagonals and
entire board} Qxf3 {0:40}
21. Bxf3 {0:02} Bxb2 {0:08}
22. Bh6 {1:58} Rfb8 {1:34}
23. Bf4 {0:47} Bxa1 {1:34}
24. Bxb8 {0:24} Rxb8 {0:10}
25. Rxa1 {0:07} b6 {0:15}
26. Re1 {1:06} Kg7 {0:42}
27. Bd5 {0:22} Kf6 {0:11}
28. f4 {1:11} Rd8 {0:30}
29. Bc4 {0:50} Rd4 {0:23}
30. Bb3 {1:03} Rxf4 {0:16}
31. Rc1 {0:16} a5 {0:19}
32. Rc6+ {0:18} Be6 {0:02}
33. Rxb6 {0:10} a4 {0:04}
34. Bd1 {4:20} Ke5 {1:57}
35. a3 {0:57} Rd4 {2:13}
36. Rb5+ {1:29} Kf4 {0:29}
37. Bf3 {1:11} Bb3 {0:37}
38. Kf2 {0:23} Rd2+ {0:05}
39. Ke1 {0:51} Ra2 {0:07}
40. Rb4+ {0:58} Ke5 {1:01}
41. Re4+ {0:31} Kd6 {0:21}
42. Rd4+ {0:13} Kc5 {0:12}
43. Rh4 {0:48} h5 {0:07}
44. Re4 {0:15} Rxa3 {0:06}
45. Re5+ {0:05} Kd6 {0:16}
46. Re3 {0:09} Ra1+ {0:03}
47. Kd2 {0:09} Ra2+ {0:07}
48. Kc3 {0:05} Rc2+ {0:10}
49. Kb4 {0:04} Rc4+ {0:03}
50. Ka3 {0:07} Rc2 {0:16}
51. Rd3+ {0:13} Kc5 {0:03}
Old August 6th 03, 06:06 AM
Mr. Plow

Looks like a Colle, although I'm not sure if the moves exactly match the ECO
code.

Usually White positions all his pieces to support a freeing e4 push. Once
White gets e4 in, his Q+B battery can be deadly on the diagonal leading to
h7.

I think the best defensive systems are considered to be ones where Black
fianchettoes kingside, although there are other lines. If Black can get in
....c5 or ...e5 (without losing material, that is), he is usually okay, as
these moves tend to resolve the center in Black's favor.

Model games include Colle-O'Hanlon (?) and Colle-Vidmar.

om...

Old August 8th 03, 06:06 AM
TruthXayer

Thank you , your inputs helped me understand the game and my mistakes.

(Mike Ogush) wrote in message ...
Given White's attempt to play a Colle-like system, I a surprised that
he didn't play the standard breaking move e4. I think that 8.e4 Nc6
(or 8....dxe4 Nxe4 wiing the c5 pawn because Black must not allow Nd6+
+/-) 9.exd5 Qxd5 10.Be4 Qd7 11.Qe2 O-O 12.Nb3 and once again White
wins the c5-pawn +/-. BTW 7...c5 was a mistake creating another
target (e.g., undefended pawn). Black was better off developing with
Nd7 or castling.

At move 13 White should play e4 after 13...d4 14.cxd4 cxd4 15.a3 White
should be able to untangle his queen-side and focus on Black's
isolated pawn +/=..

White was better trading queens earlier: 17.Qxd4 Bxd4 18.Rd1 Bg7
19.Kf1 and although Black's drak-square bishop is stronger than it's
counterpart, that is also true of White's white-square bishop. I
think that the position is equal.

As you pointed out 20.Qxe4 Bxe4 is better than what was played in the
game. One way of continuing for White is to trade weaknesses with
21.Bc3 Bxc3 22.bxc3 leaving White with three pawn islands versus
Black's two, but Black no longer possesing the killer dark-square
bushop I think that White should be able to defend this to a draw.

22... Rfe8! wins the exchange 23.Bxb7 Rab8 24.Bc6 Rec8 -+.

Better was 26...Kf8 preventing 27.Re7, which if allowed would have
lessened Black's advantage.

Better was 31...Rd4 so after 23.Rc7 Rd7 defending the queen-side
pawns. The move in the game allowed White to win one his pawns back.

37...Bxh3! and Black wins another pawn.

Finally there were several points after this where in reponse to a
check or the threat of a check the Black king moved backward when
moving forward would lead to a quicker win.(e.g. 40...Ke3, 46...Kd4.

Hope this was helpful.

Mike Ogush
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 00:06:35 -0500, "Mr. Plow"
wrote:

Looks like a Colle, although I'm not sure if the moves exactly match the ECO
code.

Usually White positions all his pieces to support a freeing e4 push. Once
White gets e4 in, his Q+B battery can be deadly on the diagonal leading to
h7.

I think the best defensive systems are considered to be ones where Black
fianchettoes kingside, although there are other lines. If Black can get in
...c5 or ...e5 (without losing material, that is), he is usually okay, as
these moves tend to resolve the center in Black's favor.

Model games include Colle-O'Hanlon (?) and Colle-Vidmar.

. com...

Old August 12th 03, 02:43 AM
Luis Matos

Mr. Plow wrote:

Looks like a Colle, although I'm not sure if the moves exactly match the ECO
code.

Usually White positions all his pieces to support a freeing e4 push. Once
White gets e4 in, his Q+B battery can be deadly on the diagonal leading to
h7.

I think the best defensive systems are considered to be ones where Black
fianchettoes kingside, although there are other lines. If Black can get in
...c5 or ...e5 (without losing material, that is), he is usually okay, as
these moves tend to resolve the center in Black's favor.

The main problem with Black systems based on g6 and Bg7, as old writers
used to say, is that that Bishop byte on granite, referring to white
pawns chain: d4, c3 and b2.

Perhaps is too old and comparison between games so distant, but remember
that Colle (Edgar) played a game as White against Gruenfeld (Ernst)
where both played "their" opening.. and White won!!

perhaps it was not because of the opening, but because of better player...

Best regards