Play the weak or not play at all?

Old August 6th 03, 04:26 PM
Ivan

Default Play the weak or not play at all?

Hi,

There is a local chess club that meets every week and most of the
players are much weaker than my playing strength. I have played every
single player and can beat them in both blitz and long games with
ease. I was wondering if it is a good idea to keep going to this club
or if it in reality I am doing more hurt to my chess since all i am
doing is playing much weaker players. Should I continue playing here
or stop ?

please let me know, thanks
Old August 6th 03, 05:02 PM
mafergut

There is a local chess club that meets every week and most of the
players are much weaker than my playing strength. I have played every
single player and can beat them in both blitz and long games with
ease. I was wondering if it is a good idea to keep going to this club
or if it in reality I am doing more hurt to my chess since all i am
doing is playing much weaker players. Should I continue playing here
or stop ?

You know the answer, don't you?
If you only play weaker opposition you run the risk of getting the bad habit
of using cheap tactics. A stronger opponent will crush you if you only try
knight forks against him. Yes, I think that club can up your morale but will
down your chess ability in the long term.

mafergut

Old August 6th 03, 05:20 PM
Looney

"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

There is a local chess club that meets every week and most of the
players are much weaker than my playing strength. I have played every
single player and can beat them in both blitz and long games with
ease. I was wondering if it is a good idea to keep going to this club
or if it in reality I am doing more hurt to my chess since all i am
doing is playing much weaker players. Should I continue playing here
or stop ?

please let me know, thanks

IMHO, you need to search out stronger competition, BUT, don't forget that
the weaker players at your local club can greatly benefit from playing
against you. It would be a loss for them if you were to completely give
them up.

It always goes both ways :-) Good luck.

--
Looney
http://www.patzersprogress.com

Old August 6th 03, 05:35 PM
mdamien

"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

There is a local chess club that meets every week and most of the
players are much weaker than my playing strength. I have played every
single player and can beat them in both blitz and long games with
ease. I was wondering if it is a good idea to keep going to this club
or if it in reality I am doing more hurt to my chess since all i am
doing is playing much weaker players. Should I continue playing here
or stop ?

Another option is to offer to play with a handicap. You could start at
knight odds and let people advance to a lesser handicap once they beat you.

Matt

Old August 6th 03, 09:32 PM
John Lamont

Do you enjoy playing there? Then continue.. You won't get any better,
but unless you start mimicking their weak move it won't hurt either..
Old August 7th 03, 10:13 AM
Neil Coward

I think playing weak players will damage your chess. You get away with more,
can go into unsound continuations knowing that they will probably fall for
it, and if they don't your abilitiy will enable you to fight your way out of
it.

The temptation to become lazy will become too strong and then you'll get a
shock when you play decent players again.

I think you should ditch this club for of patzers and join somewhere else.
No matter how strong you are you should be able to find plenty of players
stronger. No matter how good you get there is always some smartypants who
can beat you easily!!

Old August 7th 03, 12:15 PM
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski

(Ivan) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

There is a local chess club that meets every week and most of the
players are much weaker than my playing strength. I have played every
single player and can beat them in both blitz and long games with
ease. I was wondering if it is a good idea to keep going to this club
or if it in reality I am doing more hurt to my chess since all i am
doing is playing much weaker players. Should I continue playing here
or stop ?

please let me know, thanks

The answer is not as simple as others in this thread
make it sound, that suppossedly you can only hurt your
chess or style by playing the weaker players or at the
best that it won't hurt (but certainly, according to them,
would not improve yuor game).

One of the regular members of the chess club in The
Woodlands was a USCF 2300+ FIDE master. The next
strongest player was an expert ratedaround USCF 2100.
Our master, as he told me, certainly wished for a better
opposition. Nevertheless he was coming to the club
regularly and, in a contrast to lazy me, played nonstop
against about any opposition, even weaker than me (I was
a strong :-) B player at the time). Now I wish I played
him much more, I have wasted an opportunity. He really
was making on me an impression of someone "working"
during those club meetings.

I asked him how come he plays all the weak players
(and with an intensity, niot casually). He told me
that he likes to solve problems. In each game he was
(privately) setting himself some puzzles, some
challenges. This way even under the inferior (for
him) club conditions he was still accumulating an
experience.

He was never giving any material odds (possibly
out of politeness). He had offered me time handicap
in casual blitz, 5m:3m. I have accepted because it was
a right thing to do. However I don't really enjoy
being given time odds or any odds. I was silly, against
my better jugdement, in several games, when I tried
to run him out of time. Once I started to take my time
I was winning. He was a true, strong master, but I knew
that he is not really a blitz player. Despite of that
he had such a strong will that he won almost every
club blitz tournament with a 100% score. I had good,
sometimes even winning positions against him in the
first few blitz tournmaments but he showed his master's
resilience and I didn't manage to win or even draw any of
those promising games. After that psychology kicked in
and I was losing all games to him, including regular
(slow) tournament games frustratingly fast, without a fight.
Only in one active chess tournament got a draw from him
after he had grinded me in the ennding mercilessly, he had
an extra pawn. He made a sac' early in the game. I asked him
if he sac'ed counting on my low chess level. He said that
at the time, when he sac'ed, he considered it the best way
to play, perhaps to win, and only with the hindside he would
reconsider it. I mention this episode to show how seriously
he was approaching his activity at our chess club. It was
very nice to have him as one of us (he was more equal than
the rest of us :-)

Regards,

Wlod
Old August 9th 03, 05:57 AM
Bill Smythe

"Ivan" wrote:
.... Should I continue playing here or stop ? ....

Keep playing, but with the idea of promoting chess. Get the club members
interested in tournament play. Show them interesting problems. Introduce
interesting variations, like half-bughouse or kriegspiel. Show them the
rudiments of K+P vs K endings. There's lots you can do there!

Bill Smythe