Use Bookup or ChessBase?

Old July 2nd 03, 09:51 PM
SilverStarPub

Default Use Bookup or ChessBase?

Hello! I am a 2000 ELO rated player trying to improve his opening repertoire
via the use of commercial software.

What would you recommend? Do you have any experience with these two software
packages? Can Informants on CD ROM integrate with any of these?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Old July 2nd 03, 11:00 PM
Mark Houlsby

SilverStarPub wrote:
Hello! I am a 2000 ELO rated player trying to improve his
opening repertoire
via the use of commercial software.

What would you recommend? Do you have any experience with
these two software
packages? Can Informants on CD ROM integrate with any of these?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

I know people who say that BookUp is the best tool for openings
training. I happen to prefer ChessBase, but there's no doubting that
BookUp is a fine product.

I assume that in referring to "Informants on CD ROM" you mean those CD
ROMs which are supplied with the books, and which are in Chess Informant
Reader (CIR) format.

If my assumption is correct, I can tell you that using Chess Informant
Expert 4 (full version) which may be purchased from www.informant.com I
have succeeded in exporting Informants 1-85 (EE) to PGN format (from
which they may be readily converted into ChessBase format using CB 8).

I'm experiencing difficulty exporting i86 (and, indeed, CIE4's help file
suggests to me that it is not surprising that I am experiencing this
difficulty). All very strange, but I expect I'll get around it somehow.
Certainly the good people at Chess Informant have, in my experience,
proved, up to now, to be 100% reliably helpful.

hth

Mark

http://web2news.com/?rec.games.chess.analysis
Old July 2nd 03, 11:45 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na SilverStarPub ha escrit:
Hello! I am a 2000 ELO rated player trying to improve his opening repertoire
via the use of commercial software.

What would you recommend? Do you have any experience with these two software
packages? Can Informants on CD ROM integrate with any of these?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

- read some books about the line you are interested in.
- play the opening in training 25min games.
- analize those games.
- ... and any sofware you use will be useful.

AT

Old July 3rd 03, 07:09 AM
Douglas L Stewart

I currently own Bookup and Fritz 8. I have plans to purchase Chessbase
sometime in the future.

My understanding is Bookup is the best tool for building, learning, and
analyzing an opening repertoire. Basically if you own Bookup and a variety
of chess books, build a database with your favorite lines and use the
training functionality to aid your memorization.

Chessbase is good to have to keep a huge amount of games around so you can
see if various moves in your opening have been played before..

Old July 3rd 03, 10:00 AM
Andreas Walkenhorst

On 02 Jul 2003 20:51:49 GMT, (SilverStarPub)
wrote:

Hello! I am a 2000 ELO rated player trying to improve his opening repertoire
via the use of commercial software.

What would you recommend? Do you have any experience with these two software
packages? Can Informants on CD ROM integrate with any of these?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I would recommend Chess Assistant. Very fine Software. Checked some
search algorithms comparing Chessbase 8 and CA 6 (CA 7 published
recently, but I do not have it), and usually CA is - at least 10 - 15
times faster than Chessbase. Both, CA and Chessbase tests were done on
a P4 1.8, Database about 1.8 Mill games
- Searching for a position in CA : 2 sec. Chessbase: about 20 sec
(may depend on position)
- Searching for position patterns (French Advance Center) values about
the same in CA, about 25 secs in Chessbase

Using CA I was wondering about the - IMO - strange Window handling in
Chessbase. You very often have to switch from this to that window etc.
Not very user friendly IMO.

Key handling in Chessbase is IMO a little bit outdated. Compare these
2 kinds of handling:
Target: Search for some games in French Winawer Poisoned Pawn, Main
line with 13.Qxc3 Nf5 14.Rb1 d4 15.Qd3 f6 16.g4 Nh6

Chessbase: Clicking and clicking through the keys until I finally
reach (after about 10 clicks or more) the desired position (if such a
key exists...) open Window with games. Select & open Game

CA: Open Openings 2001, select "French Winawer", Open Game-Window,
Click on desired position, (if it does not exist (not very likely),
just input the moves) select & open Game (All games to any position
reachable with 1 mouseclick, available in about 0.5 secs)

Additionally - for me playing CC very important is: In every given
position in CA you can see any played next move in this position with
- Success rate in percent
- Number of games
In Chessbase you need to let the system calculate that, which again is
very slow.

but to make that clear, if you know nothing at all about openings, you
may be completely lost in CA, and should prefer Chessbase, which may
be much more suitable for players below 1700 ELO ...

Andreas
Old July 3rd 03, 06:14 PM
jefk

hello,

Andreas Walkenhorst wrote:

but to make that clear, if you know nothing at all about openings, you
may be completely lost in CA, and should prefer Chessbase, which may
be much more suitable for players below 1700 ELO ...

well for players below 1500 or so i would recommend Bookbuilder 4
which is much cheaper than ChessBase (and even Bookup) anyway.. Recently
made more userfriendly, especially for lower ranked chess players; have fun at:
www.superchess.com

Old July 8th 03, 06:51 AM
Mike Leahy

"SilverStarPub" wrote in message
Hello! I am a 2000 ELO rated player trying to improve his opening

repertoire
via the use of commercial software.

What would you recommend? Do you have any experience with these two

software
packages? Can Informants on CD ROM integrate with any of these?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

I answered that question a dozen times a day at the World Open Bookup
table last week.

And my answer was... both!

You really want a great game database like ChessBase.

And you really want a great theory machine like Bookup.

Keep your games in ChessBase and keep your repertoire in Bookup.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com