Outsmart 1/1001 of Reinfeld

Old August 14th 03, 04:32 PM
Neil Cerutti

Default Outsmart 1/1001 of Reinfeld

From _1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations_, problem
349, chapter 5, "Discovered Check".

White to move.

3rk1r1/pp3p1p/1nb1p3/8/qn2P2Q/3B1N2/PP3PPP/3R1RK1 w - -

Reinfeld gives this solution involving the chapter's theme:

SPOILER SPACE

1. Qxd8! Kxd8
2. Bb2!

But why win a Rook when you can win the Queen?

--
Neil Cerutti

Old August 14th 03, 08:57 PM
CeeBee

"Mikael Kastell" wrote in
rec.games.chess.analysis:

Is it not better to first play Bc2 with threats on a4 and d8?

That's what he suggests:

But why win a Rook when you can win the Queen?

Instead of a bishop and a knight for a rook and a pawn the same pair for a
queen and a pawn.

The answer might be sinmple: Reinfeld might have wanted to demonstrate a
discovered check instead of an optimal solution.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 14th 03, 10:04 PM
mdamien

"Neil Cerutti" wrote in message
In article , CeeBee

wrote:
"Mikael Kastell" wrote in
rec.games.chess.analysis:

Is it not better to first play Bc2 with threats on a4 and d8?

That's what he suggests:

But why win a Rook when you can win the Queen?

Instead of a bishop and a knight for a rook and a pawn the same
pair for a queen and a pawn.

The answer might be sinmple: Reinfeld might have wanted to
demonstrate a discovered check instead of an optimal solution.

That is very charitable, but I doubt it.

It seems more likely to me that compiling 1001 chess problems and
studies is just really, really hard to do without leaving a few
errors. It's the same story in other sorts of technical writing.

If it were just a matter of winning a rook vs. winning a queen, when both
results are a won game for White, I would hesitate to say that Reinfeld were
wrong in giving the weaker move in terms of material. The only indisputable
objective is to win the game: even sub-objectives of winning in the fewest
number of moves, or with the greatest (or least) preponderance of extra
material, could be debated.

In this case, though, Reinfeld's continuation leaves White in a position
where he will probably still lose, whereas Bc2 is winning.

Matt

Old August 15th 03, 02:17 AM
Dr. Watson

A good and plausible idea. Congratulations, Mr. Holmes!
Perhaps the additional knight on b6 is a double of the one
in the preceding row of positions, i.e., in problem 347.

Regards

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:53:43 +0200 Antonio Torrecillas wrote:
Hello,

Sometimes the response can be very simple ... ¿print error?

If the Nb6 disapear the solution is correct:
With 1.Qd8 white wins a quality and has a won game.
And after 1.*Bc2, *there is the defence Qa5.

That happens sometimes to a lot of players: you send a nice game to a
magazine and a printout error converts it in an aberration.

Maybe we do not need to correct the solution, but the position!
3rk1r1/pp3p1p/2b1p3/8/qn2P2Q/3B1N2/PP3PPP/3R1RK1 w - - 0 1

Antonio Torrecillas
(The Sherlock Holmes of chess)

[...]