Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ???

Old July 3rd 03, 04:49 AM
Joshua B. Lilly

Default Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ???

But Richard Réti said "After P-K4, White`s game is in its final throes."

"Alex" wrote in message
m...
Bobby Fischer once said that "1. e4 is best for test"
And it seems he might be correct....it does allow two pieces to
develop and you can castle on the king side faster.

Old July 3rd 03, 02:14 PM
chessanalyst

Chiaromondo wrote:

1. e4 is extremely marginally statistically worse than 1.
d4, because of the Sicilian.

Well comps are not afraid of the Sicilian you know

With proper analysis, White maybe even can achieve a slight
advantage against c5 (in theory), eg. against the Sveshnikov
by playing Nd5 instead of Bg5. For example 7.Nd5 Nxd5
8.exd5 Ne7 9.Nc3!? Ng6 10 Bb5N!! Any comments ?

(dont know the book Beating the Silician by Nunn but
from the title i guess he aint afraid of c5 either

best regards,
ChAn

PS for my analysis i used a new version of Bookbuilder,
(downloaded at superchess.com), and checked the eval with
Tiger 15 as this still is better than Crafty 19..
Next time i'll try the Kalashnikov..

Old July 3rd 03, 02:53 PM
Ted

"chessanalyst" wrote

Well comps are not afraid of the Sicilian you know

With proper analysis, White maybe even can achieve a slight
advantage against c5 (in theory), eg. against the Sveshnikov
by playing Nd5 instead of Bg5. For example 7.Nd5 Nxd5
8.exd5 Ne7 9.Nc3!? Ng6 10 Bb5N!! Any comments ?

- most Sveshnikovians prefer 8...Nb8 to 8...Ne7.
- in your line, after 10...Bd7 what's so wonderful about White's position?
True he can exchange the light-squared bishops, but the knight on c3 slows
down his Q-side pawn advance by blocking the c-pawn. Black continues Be7,
0-0 and ...f5 with equality.

Ted

Old July 3rd 03, 05:02 PM
chessanalyst

Ted wrote:

- most Sveshnikovians prefer 8...Nb8 to 8...Ne7.

ok, didnt know that, thx

- in your line, after 10...Bd7 what's so wonderful about
White's position?

nah even Tiger indicated slight advantage, but now i think of it
black can prevent Bb5 with an earlier Bd7; so there goes
my anti-Sveshnikov..

0-0 and ...f5 with equality.

ok then i'll first look at anti-Sicilian lines with Bb5 to
beat the Sicilian; instead of the Sicilian'Kalashnikov'
best regards,
ChAn
PS ok well if e4 puts white in its final throes against
stronger players, then maybe we can compare 1.e4 with
kickboxing, and d4 with wrestling ? So why then not open
with 1.g3!? for example; instead of the boring 1.c4..

Old July 4th 03, 02:34 AM
Louis Blair

Joshua B. Lilly wrote (Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:49:53 GMT):

But Richard Réti said "After P-K4, White`s game is in its final
throes."

_
The Oxford Companion attributes this to Gyula Breyer.

Old September 12th 03, 07:27 AM
tiger

d4 can lead you to the blackmar-diemer and this is certainly fun and
probably more tactical than e4 will ever be ! And yes , maybe at
grandmaster level this opening is not a good idea but since I never
play grandmasters I don't care !!!

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:39:03 +1200, "Blue Knight"
wrote:

Not that I'm a strong player, but as I understand it, it comes down to the
types of positions a person likes to play. I believe that "in general" 1.e4
leads to open positions and the games tend to be very tactical. On the
other hand, 1.d4 generally leads to closed positions.

Blue Knight.

Old September 12th 03, 08:41 PM
Bjřrn Revil

I prefer 1.d4 partly because the opponents I normally play (1700-2100)
play much better against 1.e4 than 1.d4. Most of them have at least
one system they know well against 1.e4 and which give them some sort
of active play like the Dragon, the Svesnikov or the Petroff.

The same players are more uncertain against 1.d4. It is much more
difficult to create early activity against 1.d4 and players below
IM/GM level are generally much weaker in slightly passive positions
than in active positions.

Openings like the King Indian or the Queen gambit are very comfortable
for white. And I normally get a lot of those.

Grunfeld and Nimzo indian are among the best defences against 1.d4 but
they are normally avoided by intermediate players. Nimzo because black
do not like to part with the bishop too early and Grunfeld because
black need to know a lot of theoretical variations.
Old September 12th 03, 09:22 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

"Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ???"

I play 1.c4 because after 1.e4, White`s game is in its final throes.