Improving Players' Lists

Old August 21st 03, 02:31 PM
I.M. Provement

Default Improving Players' Lists

These lists are very informative and thus helpful for improving
players, such as myself.
Have you ever heard of the maxim: "Attack yourself and defend your
opponent first, before you attack your opponent and defend yourself"?
This would apply to looking ahead before you make actual moves, and
not apply to making moves on the board. Who would really make a move
to weaken his/her own position intentionally? It does seem like good
advice for players struggling to find the best lines. I guess a
player has to want to see the opponent's good and bad as well as their
own good and bad moves ahead of time, if they expect to see them.
Most people, while playing hope chess, tend to think that any move
made is the best move for whatever reason.
Thanks.

Dan Heisman wrote in message ...
Hi!

Last night my Novice Nook on Improving Player's Lists was posted. As always, please let me know how you like
it.
Since I don't always re-check this thread, best is to e-mail me at .

http://www.chesscafe.com/heisman/heisman.htm

Back columns, including my other Chess Cafe articles, are always linked at
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/danhei...Nook_Links.htm

Regards,
Dan Heisman

Old August 22nd 03, 04:23 AM
Dan Heisman

IM,

Thanks. Not in those words, no. Not sure the way you stated it makes sense. After all, "Attack yourself and
defend your
opponent first, before you attack your opponent and defend yourself" If you attack yourself, isn't that
supposed to mean the same as "do the attacking yourself" which is also the same as "attack your opponent"
(who else would you attack?). You certainly are not going to attack your own pieces.

As I stated in the Novice Nook, there is also a big difference on the point you are analyzing, whether it is
for your opponent's previous move's threats, your possible candidate move check, captures, and threats, or
your opponent's possible replies to your candidate moves.

Sorry I did not answer sooner, but as I stated in my post, if you wish a reply, better to e-mail
since I don't always check the threads. I try to always answer my e-mails promptly.

Best wishes,
NM Dan Heisman