Please analyse this

Old August 22nd 03, 09:14 PM
Hans Meier

Default Please analyse this

Here are some hints.

12... Bh3 is better than O-O-O
13... Bg4 is better

Could some please analyse the following game I played as white against
one of Chessmaster's lower rated opponents.

I am rated about 1100 - 1200 so would appreciate fairly basic
comments.

Thanks

[Event "Chessmaster 8000 Rated Game"]
[Site ""]
[Date "8-21-2003"]
[Round ""]
[White "MFisher"]
[Black "Raj"]
[Result "0-1"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. d3 Bb4+ 5. c3 Ba5 6. Be3 d5 7. exd5
Nxd5 8. Bc5 Nf4 9. O-O Qf6 10. Bb5 Bd7 11. Bxc6 Qxc6 12. Ba3 O-O-O 13.
g3 Nh3+ 14. Kh1 Bg4 15. Nd2 Rxd3 16. Kg2 Rxd2 17. Qxd2 Qxf3# 0-1

Old August 22nd 03, 11:15 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Mark Fisher ha escrit:
Could some please analyse the following game I played as white against
one of Chessmaster's lower rated opponents.

I am rated about 1100 - 1200 so would appreciate fairly basic
comments.

Thanks

[Event "Chessmaster 8000 Rated Game"]
[Site ""]
[Date "8-21-2003"]
[Round ""]
[White "MFisher"]
[Black "Raj"]
[Result "0-1"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. d3 Bb4+ 5. c3 Ba5 6. Be3 d5 7. exd5
Nxd5 8. Bc5 Nf4 9. O-O Qf6 10. Bb5 Bd7 11. Bxc6 Qxc6 12. Ba3 O-O-O 13.
g3 Nh3+ 14. Kh1 Bg4 15. Nd2 Rxd3 16. Kg2 Rxd2 17. Qxd2 Qxf3# 0-1

About disposition of forces:
- 6.Be3 is strange, I prefer 6.0-0 because the bishop can choose between
many options (g5, e3, rest in c1) and there is no need to decide yet.
- 12.Ba3 is a mistake, the bishop is out of play in a3 after 0-0-0.

About tactics:
- Did you see this line?: 8.Bxd5 Qxd5 9.b4 Bb6 10.c4 Qd7 11.c5 winning a
piece but allowing counterchances with 11...Nxb4 12.cxb6 Nxd3.
- Did you see the ...Bh3 possibility in 10th or 12th move.

AT

Old August 22nd 03, 11:21 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Hans Meier ha escrit:
Here are some hints.

12... Bh3 is better than O-O-O
13... Bg4 is better

Why Hans?

Maybe because engine evaluate 12....Bh3 as -3.05 and 12...0-0-0 as -2.74

In my opinion both moves concede a won position for black. If a player
tries one, is because He see it's more clear and it's not neccessary to
have a checkmatt some moves before than in other line.

Similarly
13...Nh3 is evaluated as -7.09 by Fritz8
do you consider there are better moves to win easily?

I think that after 12.Ba3 black is won and the question is only if white
can opposite a more hard resistance or not.

AT

Old August 23rd 03, 09:45 AM
Ron

In article ,
(Mark Fisher) wrote:

Could some please analyse the following game I played as white against
one of Chessmaster's lower rated opponents.

I am rated about 1100 - 1200 so would appreciate fairly basic
comments.

Thanks

[Event "Chessmaster 8000 Rated Game"]
[Site ""]
[Date "8-21-2003"]
[Round ""]
[White "MFisher"]
[Black "Raj"]
[Result "0-1"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. d3

This isn't a horrible move, but it's passive and slow. You should
probably be trying to play for more of an advantage out of the opening.

Bb4+ 5. c3 Ba5 6. Be3

I don't particularly like this move, either. You want to play
aggresively, and 0-0 works towards creating the thread of d4--acheiving
a large center. You want to try to force black to exchange his e pawn
for your d-pawn. If you can recapture with your c-pawn, you'll have a
central advantage.

d5 7. exd5
Nxd5 8. Bc5

You don't have to be so afraid of 8.0-0 Nxe3 9.Fxe3. The open f-file
can be a tool to use to get your troops aiming against the black
kingside.

Nf4 9. O-O Qf6 10. Bb5

You shouldn't move a piece more than once in the opening without a very
good reason. Finish your development first. There's a saying that a
knight on f5 (or f4, for black) is always decisive. While this is
clearly not really the case, it's good to bear in mind. This knight is
going to cause you fits.

Bd7 11. Bxc6

You move this bishop a third time, to exchange it for a knight that's
moved once. Why? What does this exchange get you?

Qxc6 12. Ba3 O-O-O

Notice how black has developed all of his pieces while your queen knight
and rook are still on their home squares. These two pieces are not in
the fight--you are essentially down material! You must mobilize all of
your pieces in the opening.

13. g3

A very poor move. While this move might have eventually proved
neccesary--that f4 knight was very dangerous--this move weakens the
light squares around your king. Notice how black has the queen,
light-squared bishop, and knight all ready to pounce on these squares.

In any even you're STILL not fully developed. Nb1-d2-e4 was worth
considering. So was an eventual knight maneuver to challange the f4
knight.

Nh3+ 14. Kh1

You've got to slow down and look at your opponent's threats. If you
don't think, you'll always get in trouble. Positionally you're in a hard
way here already, but Kg2 was absolutely neccesary! Do you see how it
helps mitigate the mate threat by giving you a way to capture on h3. Now
a lasting check on the long diagnal is fatal. Note how all of black's
play is now geared to cracking open that diagnal.

Bg4

First he attacks the pinned knight again.

15. Nd2 Rxd3

Now he attacks it again--as well as one of it's defenders.

16. Kg2 Rxd2

A choice of winning methods: Rxf3 was also decisive: 16. Rxf3 Ng5! and
Bxf3, winning the queen. Rxd2 is more decisive , however, because the
queen has no flight squares that still defend the Nf3.

17. Qxd2 Qxf3# 0-1

Old August 28th 03, 01:32 AM
Antonio Torrecillas

A comment added:

Here is the game

[Event "Chessmaster 8000 Rated Game"]
[Site ""]
[Date "8-21-2003"]
[Round ""]
[White "MFisher"]
[Black "Raj"]
[Result "0-1"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. d3 Bb4+ 5. c3 Ba5 6. Be3 d5 7. exd5
Nxd5 8. Bc5 Nf4 9. O-O Qf6 10. Bb5 Bd7 11. Bxc6 Qxc6 12. Ba3 O-O-O 13.
g3 Nh3+ 14. Kh1 Bg4 15. Nd2 Rxd3 16. Kg2 Rxd2 17. Qxd2 Qxf3# 0-1

Ron1:13. g3
Ron1:
Ron1: A very poor move. (...) Nb1-d2-e4 was worth considering.
Ron1: So was an eventual knight maneuver to challange the f4
Ron1: knight.

AT_1:13.Nbd2 Bh3! can be "preferable" but it is winning for black

Ron2: Well, sure. But if black is already winning--as I suspect he
Ron2: is--then white needs to be asking himself, "Okay, what can get
Ron2: I do to back in this game? How can I put up as much of a fight
Ron2: as possible.
Ron2: While 13.Nbd2 Bh3 loses the exchange, the exchange is a very
Ron2: small amount of material and there will still be plenty of fight
Ron2: left in the position--particularly in a opposite-castling
Ron2: situation where white can launch a pawn storm very quickly with
Ron2: b4 and b5. Should white still lose?
Ron2: Absolutely. Is it a forgone conclusion? No.
Ron2: In any event g3 is horrible because of some basic tactical
Ron2: motifs that it allows black, and it's important to recognize
Ron2: those.

Ron, do you mean that 13.g3 is a horrible move but 13.Nbd2 Bh3 14.g3 is
the best fighting continuation??

I suppose you mean that, but there is no much sense: after 13.Nbd2 Bh3
14.g3 Rd3!! the game is over.

AT_2