draw ?

Old August 24th 03, 03:17 PM
mordicus

Default draw ?

Can anyone tell me if this position is a draw ?

It's a game i have played today.

3r2k1/5pp1/2R1p2p/pq3b2/1p1P1Pn1/1P3BP1/P2Q3P/B5K1 w - - 13 37

thanks.
Old August 24th 03, 06:58 PM
joe

In article ,
mordicus wrote:

Can anyone tell me if this position is a draw ?

It's a game i have played today.

3r2k1/5pp1/2R1p2p/pq3b2/1p1P1Pn1/1P3BP1/P2Q3P/B5K1 w - - 13 37

thanks.

OK, I'm not a GM, but here's my assessment.

I think it's too early in the game to say whether it is a draw.
Personally I like Black, but it could go either way.

Black definitely has an advantage in this position due to the activity
of his pieces and the weaknesses in White's pawn structure. White has to
find a way to get his bishop on a1 into the action, and I suspect the
move he'd most like to play is d5!, freeing the bishop, but at the
moment d5 appears to lose a rook (d5? Qxc6! dc6 Rxd2 c7 Rc2). He also
cannot play Bxg4 and try to reach a drawn position with BOOC, because
the queens are still on, and giving up his light squares with the queens
still on is a gamble that White can't afford to make. He also can't form
a battery of his rook and queen on the c-file by playing Qa1, because
that would allow Black to play Qd3 with initiative.

The one trump that White holds is his control of the c-file. If he can
hold it and prepare an attack with aggressive moves like Rc7/d5/Qd4, he
may be able to wriggle his way out of the bind that he's in. In the
meantime Black will try to get White to trade off the light-squared
bishops, presumably with moves like Nf6 and Be4, which would leave him
with a superior minor piece and an attack on the white king.
Old August 24th 03, 09:27 PM
mordicus

joe wrote:

Thank you !