a drastic Pirc defeat

Old August 26th 03, 08:30 PM
Nomen Nescio

Default a drastic Pirc defeat

NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

[Event "ICC 5 0 u"]
[Site "Internet Chess Club"]
[Round "-"]
[White "GD"]
[Black "guest1011"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ICCResult "Black resigns"]
[WhiteElo "3094"]
[Opening "Pirc: Austrian attack, 6.Bd3"]
[ECO "B09"]
[NIC "PU.02"]
[TimeControl "300+0"]

1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. f4 Bg7 5. Nf3 O-O
{Avoiding the well-known trap 5...c5?? 6.Bb5+! Bd7 7.e5! Ng4
8.e6! and White wins.}
6. Bd3 Nbd7 7. e5 dxe5 8. dxe5 Ne8 9. O-O e6 10. Qe1 f5
{It is going to be another drastic defeat}
11. exf6 Qxf6 12. Ne4 Qe7 13. c3 Nd6 14. Neg5 Nb6 15. Ne5 h6
16. Nxg6
{The two knights are eating black's army.}
16... Qf6 17. Nf3 Rf7 18. Nfe5 Bd7 19. Nxf7
{Black resigns} 1-0

Long live anonymity on the net!!

Old August 28th 03, 01:45 AM
Randy Bauer

Nomen Nescio wrote in message . ..
NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

[Event "ICC 5 0 u"]
[Site "Internet Chess Club"]
[Round "-"]
[White "GD"]
[Black "guest1011"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ICCResult "Black resigns"]
[WhiteElo "3094"]
[Opening "Pirc: Austrian attack, 6.Bd3"]
[ECO "B09"]
[NIC "PU.02"]
[TimeControl "300+0"]

1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. f4 Bg7 5. Nf3 O-O
{Avoiding the well-known trap 5...c5?? 6.Bb5+! Bd7 7.e5! Ng4
8.e6! and White wins.}

This is an absolute lie. In fact, after 8.e6 we're in the main line
of the Austrian attack these days. Black is holding his own, both
theoretically and in over the board play.

There are 889 games with this position (after 8.e6) in the Chessbase 2
million game online database. Among the "weakies" who are willing to
play black in the position Guest Destroyer says is a win for white:
Seirwan, Timman, Chernin, Gurevich, Torre, Van Wely, Alburt, Suttles,
Benko, and Kinderman. Among the dearly departed seen on the black
side were Tal and Polugaevsky.

Don't bother with the rest of the game. You now know all you need to
know to judge Guest Destroyer's voracity and ability.

Randy Bauer

Old August 28th 03, 02:07 PM
Tobi Usher

"Randy Bauer" wrote

snip

Don't bother with the rest of the game. You now know all you need to
know to judge Guest Destroyer's voracity and ability.

Randy Bauer

Wow, you mean you can judge a person's gluttony from their ignorance of
chess opening theory?
A neat trick. Please teach me how.

Tobi

Old August 28th 03, 06:52 PM
Randy Bauer

"Tobi Usher" wrote in message ...
"Randy Bauer" wrote

snip

Don't bother with the rest of the game. You now know all you need to
know to judge Guest Destroyer's voracity and ability.

Randy Bauer

Wow, you mean you can judge a person's gluttony from their ignorance of
chess opening theory?
A neat trick. Please teach me how.

Tobi

I hoep this wus cent in jest and knot becus yore sum kind ov spelling nforser.

Veractiy, voracity, take your pick.
Old August 29th 03, 02:54 AM
Mhoulsby

From: Brennan
Date: 28/08/03 21:28 GMT Daylight Time
Recently
-remove- (Mhoulsby) honored
rec.games.chess.analysis with:
From: "Tobi Usher"

Date: 28/08/03 14:07 GMT Daylight Time

"Randy Bauer" wrote

snip

Don't bother with the rest of the game. You now know all you need to
know to judge Guest Destroyer's voracity and ability.

Wow, you mean you can judge a person's gluttony from their ignorance of
chess opening theory?
A neat trick. Please teach me how.

Tobi

Dear Tobi, Usher Tobi

Try buying a new dictionary.

You mean one that misspells "veracity?" How much do they go for? Got
an ISBN?

I have lots of ISBNs, but not for a book such as that.

Do you know how many English words were invented by Shakespeare? I don't, but I
know it was hundreds.

Before Shakespeare, for example, the word: "bubble" didn't exist.

Now, in the past, someone has had the temerity to *correct* the choice of
adjective I posted here. This was stupid, because it was with extreme care that
I chose the adjective I used. Also, my adjective was *more appropriate*,
contextually than its parvenu *yet quotidian* replacement.

Now, it seems to me that in American English there is a great number of
horribly unetymological words.

With this in mind, I consider that Mr.Bauer might just have invented a new
adjective: "voracity", the meaning of which might be something between
"voraciousness" and "veracity". I like it. FYI *this* was why I entreated Tobi,
Usher Tobi to buy a new dictionary.

Its strange how some folks are perfectly willing to attack those of us who are
doing our bit to control trolling, which, at best, has no effect, but at worst,
could encourage said trolls to increase their rate of posting, which may be
considered to be inversely proportional to the voracity of those posts.

Yes, I like Randy's new word.

Old August 29th 03, 08:36 AM
Tobi Usher

"Randy Bauer" wrote

Don't bother with the rest of the game. You now know all you need to
know to judge Guest Destroyer's voracity and ability.

Randy Bauer

Wow, you mean you can judge a person's gluttony from their ignorance of
chess opening theory?
A neat trick. Please teach me how.

Tobi

I hoep this wus cent in jest and knot becus yore sum kind ov spelling

nforser.

Veractiy, voracity, take your pick.

No, just kidding, of course. I'm not normally a nit-picker, but this one
tickled me.

Tobi

Old August 29th 03, 05:35 PM
Nick

From: Brennan

Date: 28/08/03 21:28 GMT Daylight Time
From: "Tobi Usher"

Date: 28/08/03 14:07 GMT Daylight Time
Don't bother with the rest of the game. You now know all you need to
know to judge Guest Destroyer's voracity and ability.

Wow, you mean you can judge a person's gluttony from their ignorance of
chess opening theory? A neat trick. Please teach me how.
Tobi

Dear Tobi, Usher Tobi
Try buying a new dictionary.

You mean one that misspells "veracity?" How much do they go for?
Got an ISBN?

I have lots of ISBNs, but not for a book such as that.
(snipped)
Now, it seems to me that in American English there is a great number of
horribly unetymological words.
With this in mind, I consider that Mr. Bauer might just have invented a
new adjective: "voracity", the meaning of which might be something between
"voraciousness" and "veracity". I like it.
FYI *this* was why I entreated Tobi, Usher Tobi to buy a new dictionary.

Dear Gentle Readers:

Here's an excerpt from "The American Heritage Dictionary of the English
Language" (4th edition, 2000), which is *not* a "new dictionary":
"voracious: adj. ... -- voraciously adv. -- voracity, voraciousness n."

Hence, both "voracity" and "voraciousness" are accepted as synonymous nouns.
Randy Bauer did *not* just invent a "new adjective" in American English.
(Of course, I know that he intended to write "veracity", but he misspelled it.)

Its strange how some folks are perfectly willing to attack those of us who

It might also be strange that Mark Houlsby has written "its" (the genitive
case of "it") instead of "it's" (the contraction for "it is") here.

are doing our bit to control trolling, which, at best, has no effect, but at
worst, could encourage said trolls to increase their rate of posting, which
may be considered to be inversely proportional to the voracity of those posts.

"Dans ce pay-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps un temps un amiral pour
encourager les autres."

"In this country, it's good to kill an admiral from time to time to
encourage the others."

--Voltaire (Candide)

Yes, I like Randy's new word.

'I never quarrel with actions. My one quarrel is with words.'
--Oscar Wilde (The Picture of Dorian Gray)

--Nick