Cochrane Gambit, Analysis (4.1): 5.d4 Qe7

Old September 3rd 03, 01:34 PM
Fernando

Default Cochrane Gambit, Analysis (4.1): 5.d4 Qe7

Below the "most" favourable line for white after 5.d4 Qe7 and gaining a 3
pawn centre.

There are still some alternatives left for black and white to deviate from
this line.
Black for example might try to push the b-pawn forward, or play 6.g6 with a
later Bg7.

Best regards,
Fernando

[White "Cochrane Gambit"]
[Black "5.d4 Qe7"]
[Result "*"]
[ECO "E42"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nxf7 Kxf7
5. d4 Qe7

The Queen directly threatens the e-pawn. The most simple way to counter this
is with Nc3.

6. Nc3 c6

The second set-up of black to refute white's attempt at a 3 pawn centre.
This also prohibits the Bc4+.

7. Bd3 Bg4

Black develops and forces white's Queen to a less favourable square.

8.Qd2 Nbd7

Black develops

9. O-O Ke8 10. f4 Kd8

And has moved his King to safety. White has finished his pawn centre and
both are ready to battle on the King's side.

11. e5 Ne8 12. Ne4 *

Old September 4th 03, 04:00 PM
Fernando

A small addendum:

I've been looking one of the alternatives over for this variation for black.
I must say that I haven't looked it over through in dept, but it looks okay
for black.

I will look through one alternative start for black: 5.d4 Qe8 and post my
findings here, but it takes quite some time, (ex.) just to discover that
6.Bc4+ is losing for white.

Best regards,
Fernando

[White "Cochrane's Gambit"]
[Black "5.d4 Qe7 6.Nc3"]
[Result "*"]
[ECO "C42"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nxf7 Kxf7 5. d4 Qe7 6. Nc3 c6

(6... c5 7. Bc4+ Be6 8. Bxe6+ Qxe6 9. d5 Qe8 10. O-O b5 11. f3 Be7 12. Re1
b4 13. Ne2 a5)

7. Bd3 Bg4 8. Qd2 Nbd7 9. O-O Ke8 10. f4 Kd8 11. e5 Ne8 12. Ne4 *

Old September 8th 03, 09:42 PM
Tony T. Warnock

Fernando wrote:

Below the "most" favourable line for white after 5.d4 Qe7 and gaining a 3
pawn centre.

There are still some alternatives left for black and white to deviate from
this line.
Black for example might try to push the b-pawn forward, or play 6.g6 with a
later Bg7.

Best regards,
Fernando

[White "Cochrane Gambit"]
[Black "5.d4 Qe7"]
[Result "*"]
[ECO "E42"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nxf7 Kxf7
5. d4 Qe7

It's would seem that Qe8 might be more accurate. Then Black has d8 for the King
(similarly to the ...b5,...Na5,Bf7 line in the Ruy Lopez.) The Queen doesn't
interfere with the Bishop here either.

Old September 8th 03, 11:38 PM
Fernando

"Tony T. Warnock" schreef in bericht

Fernando wrote:

[...]

The problem with opening analysis is that it takes some time to recognise
several key-moves. d6d5 is one of them and I haven't looked at it in depth
yet. I only encountered it during my games as black in the Cochrane Gambit.
Mighty annoying to gain access to either side of the board if I'm to
relocate the Queen. And you can bet on it that white will not exchange
Queens easily.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nxf7 Kxf7
5. d4 Qe8 6.Bc4+
{6... d5? white gains advantage.}
6... Be6 7.d5 *

If this doesn't work, white might as well avoid playing this Gambit against
a well prepared player. Nc3, Bd3, f3, Qf3 or other variations give black
d6d5, opening the game for black on both sides.

And whether the King ends within d8-c7 (mostly blocking Queen's Rook toward
King's side) or within the f8-h7 rectangle is still a question of what will
be better.

There will be two annotated games following (when finished) between Miguel
and me. Not that there has been much use of all I've looked at yet, because
of the simultanius analysis while playing, but there will be enough in both
games to show where things will end up if not taken proper care of.

Best regards,
Fernando