Ponomariov - Losing Match Mentally !!

Old July 4th 03, 03:13 AM
Louis Blair

Default Ponomariov - Losing Match Mentally !!

Briarroot wrote (Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:58:40 -0400):

The title of World Champion of Chess had existed since about
1866 (when Steinitz beat Andersson)

_
John Swartz wrote (Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:09:57 -0400):

Actually, it was the Steinitz/Zuckertort match in 1886 that was
the first match recognized to be for the title of "world
champion".

_
Briarroot wrote (Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:03:26 -0400):

After Steinitz beat Andersson, he was generally recognized as
World Champion. The Zukertort match may have been the
first officially recognized WC match.

_
This has been discussed many times, and I have never seen
anyone produce any record of a quote from around the time
of the 1866 match with a claim that Steinitz was world
champion. What I HAVE seen is a discussion of the match
in an 1866 issue of the magazine, The Chess World, where
it was explained that "Mr. Anderssen was beaten, because
his day for match-playing is over." An 1866 claim that
Steinitz was world champion would have been the subject
of considerable discussion. I found no such discussion in
the 1866 Chess World.

The earliest references that I have seen to Steinitz supremacy
were six years later:

"At London 1872 he was first (+7=1), ahead of Blackburne
and Zukertort, and in September 1872 he decisively beat
Zukertort in match play (+7=4-1). At this time Loewenthal
wrote: 'Mr Steinitz may be fairly regarded as the present
occupant of the exceptional position formerly held by Mr
Morphy', and Burn wrote that Steinitz was 'now probably
the strongest living player'." - Oxford Companion