crazy admin at FICS

Old September 21st 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
nospam

Default crazy admin at FICS

I am writing this not to critize FICS, but in an attempt to find a
solution to a perplexing problem. Today, as White, I played a guest (as
a guest)and found myself quickly on the defensive. My opponent seemed to
'know' the Opening well, and I was being pushed back. I fought on, and
played a move which gave up two pieces for a rook. I hoped to break up
my opponent's attack and give me a little relief. However, he played a
nice in between move and left the rook hang for a forced mate in about 6
or 7 moves. At this point, I felt he may have been using a computer, but
he could have simply been a strong player. I resigned, and my 'message'
window filled up with lines and lines of "HAHAHAHAHA"s. Then stuff like
"IDIOT", "LOSER", and the like. Earlier today, I chanced to read about
characters like this and they are called "Cyber-bullies".

This is not the first time I have run into this character. He
automatically 'censors' you, so you cannot 'say' anything back to him.
Even if you log in as another player, you will get a message saying he
does not receive messages from unregistered players. The reason I
believe him to be an admin, gone wrong, is the fact that he can keep the
time ticking off his clock for minutes (I have left it go for over 15
minutes once,)but yet not get flagged for overstepping the time control.
Today I 'followed' him, and he did just that to his next opponent, who
had a won game. His opponent was forced to resign after a couple of
minutes. This has happened too many times to be a mere coincidence.

Does anyone know of a possible way to handle this situation? I
complained to FICS on their site, but received an answer that all their
admins were good guys, and would never do such a thing. Perhaps if
everyone who this happened to would write, there might be steps taken.
Old September 21st 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Arfur Million

"nospam" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not sure it necessarily means that it's an admin doing it - I'm no
expert in this area but I believe that some people have managed to somehow
skew the computer timers to fool the server into thinking that their time
has not been exceeded.

Sometimes I run into such characters (I've had that time skew thing a few
times) and I'm not sure there's much you can do except move on to the next
game. It happens more on FICS than on paid servers such as ICC and
playchess.com.

Regards,
Arfur

Old September 22nd 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Kenneth Sloan

nospam wrote:
[...]

Don't play at FICS - esp. as a "guest"

--