what makes a computer play bad moves?

Old October 13th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
greg

Default what makes a computer play bad moves?

I was playing against a computer program and it was playing good and
then all of a sudden it plays a bad move when there are better moves.
why does it do this?
Old October 13th 08, 11:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
Martin Brown

greg wrote:
I was playing against a computer program and it was playing good and
then all of a sudden it plays a bad move when there are better moves.
why does it do this?

Depending on the program it could be one of several factors:

Because it has been programmed to do that, because of a bug or most
commonly because a situation has arisen where human intuition can see
further than the machine in some types of position (even with todays top
engines). It is getting harder and harder for anticomputer play now.

I quite like the way Shredder plays down to a specific level in its
rated game mode. Fritz is a bit too unrealistic playing several GM type
moves and then one very obviously naff one. Other engines differ in
their behaviour - Chessmaster for instance is very customisable if you
can live with the cluttered GUI and the nagware copy protection.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old October 15th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
chessplayer

On Oct 13, 8:13*am, greg wrote:
I was playing against a computer program and it was playing good and
then all of a sudden it plays a bad move when there are better moves.
why does it do this?

If you are playing on lets say chessmaster it is actually programmed
to make mistakes when you play the players who are lesser rated. If
the computer plays perfect moves all the time you can never beat it.
Forget you, even a supergrandmaster cannot beat it. At best you can
draw with the computer who plays the perfect moves every time.
Old October 16th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
David Richerby

chessplayer wrote:
On Oct 13, 8:13=A0am, greg wrote:
I was playing against a computer program and it was playing good
and then all of a sudden it plays a bad move when there are better
moves. why does it do this?

If you are playing on lets say chessmaster it is actually programmed
to make mistakes when you play the players who are lesser rated. If
the computer plays perfect moves all the time you can never beat it.
Forget you, even a supergrandmaster cannot beat it. At best you can
draw with the computer who plays the perfect moves every time.

Speculation. We don't know what `perfect moves' are. If chess is a
forced win for white then it is possible to beat a computer that's
playing black, whatever moves it plays.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Addictive Newspaper (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a daily broadsheet but you can never
Old October 16th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
Bob Campbell

"greg" wrote in message
I was playing against a computer program and it was playing good and
then all of a sudden it plays a bad move when there are better moves.
why does it do this?

The program was written by Sanny?