French Milner-Barry Gambit declined

Old February 20th 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
The unknown warrior

Default French Milner-Barry Gambit declined

I know the Milner-Barry gambit is not considered too highly at the
higest levels, but I'm not anywhere near a GM myself! (I'm about 1600 on
ICC). I have an opponent who I expect will play this. I've been thinking
of learning how best to play this for black, but my concern is that
white will be very prepared for this, as he plays it a lot. I dont have
a lot of time to do so.

The following part of a game shows an idea suggested to me. Instead of
taking the gambit pawn, black plays 8...Nb4, exchanging off his bad
bishop for white's good bishop. What do you think of this position?
Neither Toga or Rybka think much of it for black (Toga says +1.03, Rybka
says +0.73), but it looks ok to me for black. But as was pointed out to
me, white is unlikly to know the line very well, as it is rarely played.

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "?"]
[Black "?"]
[Result "*"]

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 cxd4 6.cxd4 Bd7 7.Bd3 Qb6 8.O-O Nb4
9.Be2 Bb5 10.Bxb5+ Qxb5 *

I either play that line above, or take the more common option of taking
the gambit pawn, and hoping to prove to white the sacrifice is unsound.
That's not always so easy if white is well prepared.

Old February 21st 09, 10:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
The unknown warrior

The unknown warrior wrote:
[...]

Noboby got any thoughts. Perhaps people have deserted the groups, having
got fed up with Sam Sloan and Sanny.
Old February 21st 09, 12:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
Stephan Bird[_5_]

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:55:20 +0000 in , The unknown
warrior wrote:

The unknown warrior wrote:

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "?"]
[Black "?"]
[Result "*"]

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 cxd4 6.cxd4 Bd7 7.Bd3 Qb6 8.O-O
Nb4 9.Be2 Bb5 10.Bxb5+ Qxb5 *

I either play that line above, or take the more common option of taking
the gambit pawn, and hoping to prove to white the sacrifice is unsound.
That's not always so easy if white is well prepared.

Noboby got any thoughts. Perhaps people have deserted the groups, having
got fed up with Sam Sloan and Sanny.

To be honest, at the kind of level you're playing at, most things are tactics,
and loss of a pawn here or there will probably not in itself result in a
decisive game, in my opinion. It does seem though that Black is not that
well developed, perhaps you need to focus on that?

Stephan
--
Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
Currently in Macclesfield, Cheshire
Old February 21st 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
Dave[_3_]

Stephan Bird wrote:

To be honest, at the kind of level you're playing at, most things are tactics,
and loss of a pawn here or there will probably not in itself result in a
decisive game, in my opinion. It does seem though that Black is not that
well developed, perhaps you need to focus on that?

Stephan

Thanks for that. I decided to accept the gambit, but lost the game. I
got my queen trapped, and while I got a rook and bishop for the queen,
it is not quite enough.

See below. Any comments welcome.

I need to have another look at this.

[Event "ICC 45 45"]
[Site "Internet Chess Club"]
[Date "2009.02.21"]
[Round "-"]
[White "Invicta-Knight"]
[Black "g8wrb"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ICCResult "Black checkmated"]
[WhiteElo "1573"]
[BlackElo "1533"]
[Opening "French: advance, Milner-Barry gambit"]
[ECO "C02"]
[NIC "FR.03"]
[Time "14:11:11"]
[TimeControl "2700+45"]

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5 4. c3 Nc6 5. Nf3 Qb6 6. Bd3 cxd4 7. cxd4 Bd7 8.
O-O Nxd4 9. Nxd4 Qxd4 10. Qe2 Ne7 11. a3 Nc6 12. Re1 Be7 13. Kh1 Rc8 14. Nc3
a6 15. f4 Qb6 16. Qg4 g6 17. Rf1 Qd4 18. Qe2 Bc5 19. Bd2 Ne7 20. Rf3 Nf5 21.
g4 Nh4 22. Be3 Nxf3 23. Bxd4 Nxd4 24. Qg2 Bc6 25. h4 Nb3 26. Rf1 d4 27. Ne4
Bxe4 28. Bxe4 b6 29. f5 exf5 30. gxf5 Rd8 31. fxg6 hxg6 32. Bc6+ Kf8 33.
Qxg6 Rxh4+ 34. Kg2 f5 35. Rxf5+ Ke7 36. Qf7# {Black checkmated} 1-0

--
I respectfully request that this message is not archived by companies as
unscrupulous as 'Experts Exchange' . In case you are unaware,