Tough game (no fireworks)

Old February 23rd 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)

Default Tough game (no fireworks)

My opponent at "kurnik" server is easily
USCF A-player strength (with his kurnik
rating 1700++). Here is my game against him:

white: wlod (e8e9 on kurnik these days)
black: xxx

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Bd7 4.Nc3 Bxb5

Is 4.Nc3 common? I saw only 4.Bxd7 before
this game. Is my 4...Bxb5 fine?

5.Nxb5 Qd7

Would simple 5...a6 be better?

6.Nc3 b5 7.a3 a6 8.d3 Nc6

I needed 7...a6 (useful anyway) to
develop my knight without losing b5.

9.O-O e6 10.Bg5 Be7 11.Qd2 Nf6 12.Re1 O-O

Black is fine (right?). White will use in a moment
his second move to get pawn d to d4:

13.d4 cd 14.Nxd4 Nxd4 15.Qxd4 Rfd8 16.Rad1 Qc6

Black queens attacks (indirectly) pawn c2, and
let black rook d8 to face the queen (indirectly).

17.e5 de 18.Qxe5 Bd6 19.Qe2 Be7

White has higher rating, hence repetitions
(20.Qe5) are not attractive to white.

20.h3 h6 21.Bh4 Nd5 22.Bxe7 Nxe7 23.Rxd8+ Rxd8

Is pawn imbalance to whire's advantage (3:2 on the
queen wing) or disadvantage because pawn c can be
a target? Is it why white is willing to exchange rooks?

24.Rd1 Nd5

It takes two to tango.

25.Nxd5 ed!?

Quite a decision. Games dominated by heavy pieces
are difficult and tricky (suddenly you get checkmated :-)

26.c3 Re8 27.Qf3 Re5 28.Rd4 f6 29.Rg4 Kf2
30.h4 Qe6 31. Qg3 g5 32.h5 Qf5 33.Rd4 Ke6

Very difficult (for me) to judge all these moves.
White 30.h4 was hungrily looking at the b1-h7
diagonal but perhaps it was a weak move after
all (was it?). 30...f5 looked attractive but it would
creat too much wind (empty space) around
black king. I believe that I got the advantage
of active king--I have one piece more as the result.
Only this allows me the luxury of the central but
isolated pawn.

34.Qd3 Re1+ 35.Kh2 Qf2

If 36.Rxd5 then 36... Qh4+ wins. I won a healthy
pawn :-) Heavy pieces are tricky.

36.Qh3+ f5 37.Rd3 Qg1+ 38.Kg3 Re3+
39.Rxd3 Qxd3+ 40.Kh2 Qxh3+ 41.Kxh3 Ke5

It's over, I won:

42.be Ke4 43.c4 dc 44.bc bc

White resigns.

**********

regards,

Wlod

Old February 23rd 09, 12:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)

On Feb 22, 4:37*pm, "Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (wlod)"
wrote:

white: wlod (e8e9 on kurnik these days)
black: xxx

Server "kurnik"
Date: 2008-12-18

Wlod
Old February 24th 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc
help bot

On Feb 22, 7:37*pm, "Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (wlod)"
wrote:

[...]

At top it says that Mr. Wlod had white; at the end
it indicates that he had black.

Having no chess board handy, I entered this
whole game on my computer and then let Rybka
2.2 chew on it overnight. Strangely, there were
several serious errors in her analysis-- as if
something was wrong either with the software
or my computer (but no crash, though).

The computer prefered straightforward piece
development in the opening to the worrying over
....a6 or ...b5 and so forth. White's plan with
Rg4 backfired-- wrong wing. After the f-pawn
went, it was curtains. Generally, when a lot of
pieces are exchanged as in this game, a good
deal of subtlety is required in order for the
superior player to squeeze out a win. (I enjoy
watching Rybka demonstrate just how much
subtlety exists, and the vast difference between
a 3000-rated chess engine and me in what we
do and do not see.)

The errors to which I refered were strange:
lines looked to be scored okay, but they
contained illegal moves, where checks were
ignored and the King "sacrificed"! It reminds
me of GetClub, only better of course.

-- help bot
Old February 24th 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc

On Feb 23, 9:44*pm, help bot wrote:

* At top it says that Mr. Wlod had white; at the end
it indicates that he had black.

Also in a couple of places in the middle
you can see that I played black. I apologize
for my mistake in the header of the game.

* Having no chess board handy,

Can you see:

http://www.kurnik.pl/stat.phtml?gid=...&sk=2&oid=e8e9

? Perhaps you need to get an account at kurnik first.
Kurnik's for chess sybarites (getClub for masochists).

I entered this
whole game on my computer and then let Rybka
2.2 chew on it overnight. * Strangely, there were
several serious errors in her analysis-- as if
something was wrong either with the software
or my computer (but no crash, though).

I love computers, while computers hate me.
This is just another example. They won't even
analyze my game.

It reminds me of GetClub, only better of course.

GetClub is forever in your cards!

* -- help bot

Thank you,

Wlod
Old February 24th 09, 09:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc
help bot

On Feb 24, 3:30*am, "Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)"
wrote:

*? *Perhaps you need to get an account at kurnik first.
Kurnik's for chess sybarites (getClub for masochists).

I thought golf was for masochists. After finding
that all of my golf balls were destined to end up at
the bottom of some pond or other, I switched to
chess for some much-needed relief.

I entered this
whole game on my computer and then let Rybka
2.2 chew on it overnight. * Strangely, there were
several serious errors in her analysis-- as if
something was wrong either with the software
or my computer (but no crash, though).

I love computers, while computers hate me.
This is just another example. They won't even
analyze my game.

Actually, although I would not rely upon the
analysis with these illegal moves displaying,
I think Rybka seemed to have a good handle
on things.

In general, Rybka tends to dislike unneces-
sary pawn moves in the opening, prefering
rapid development and not caring too much
about perfect placement. In the endgame,
however, it is a different matter; I recall one
game in which the advancement of Rybka's
pawns could be described as "astounding",
or perhaps even , "earth shattering".

One missed opportunity for Black was
....Ne5 (instead of ...Nxd4), more or less
forcing White to play the weakening p-b3
to keep the Knight out of c4.

It was very strange to see the wacky Nc3
in the opening; most players try to get some
advantage as White, or at least avoid easy
piece exchanges unless they are angling
for a mere draw.

I wish I had the latest and greatest version
of Rybka, along with some ultra-powerful
machine and a ten-terrabyte hard drive on
which to store endgame talebases for
game analysis. As it is, I have to try and
guard against any slip-ups by Rybka 2.2,
using my vastly superior intelligence and
vastly, vastly, vastly superior experience
in losing positions.

This game of Mr. Wlod's was played
against a real, live human being-- which
is quite a different matter from what I've
been doing lately on GetClub. But the
game itself was dull as mud! Take a
peek at my games and you will see how
a /real/ masochist plays chess-- bold,
exciting stuff... like a James Bond movie!
Or like the movie, Dr. Strangelove.

-- help bot

Old February 24th 09, 11:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc

On Feb 24, 1:58*am, help bot wrote:

* One missed opportunity for Black was
...Ne5 (instead of ...Nxd4),

Perhaps. Despite my advanced a&b pawns
I still considered my position cramped
due to d6 e6 pawns versus white e4 and
semi-open file d. Thus I was willing to
exchange some pieces.

more or less forcing White to play the
weakening p-b3 to keep the Knight out
of c4.

After 14... Ne5 white could play:
15. Rad1 Nc5 16.Qc1

* It was very strange to see the wacky Nc3
in the opening; most players try to get some
advantage as White, or at least avoid easy
piece exchanges unless they are angling
for a mere draw.

I'd play standard 4.Bxd7 Qxd7, and then Maroczy
bind 5.c4.

the game itself was dull as mud! *Take a
peek at my games and you will see how
a /real/ masochist plays chess--bold,
exciting stuff... like a James Bond movie!
Or like the movie, Dr. Strangelove.

It takes a masochist user to deal with the
GetClub user interface.

Thank you again, regards,

Wlod
Old February 24th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc
help bot

On Feb 24, 6:06*am, "Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)"
wrote:

* One missed opportunity for Black was
...Ne5 (instead of ...Nxd4),

Perhaps. Despite my advanced a&b pawns
I still considered my position cramped
due to d6 e6 pawns versus white e4 and
semi-open file d. Thus I was willing to
exchange some pieces.

more or less forcing White to play the
weakening p-b3 to keep the Knight out
of c4.

After *14... Ne5 *white could play:
15. Rad1 Nc5 16.Qc1

I believe Rybka 2.2 (not the stronger versions
which are available for $) had Black as slightly
better here, after ...Ne5. Thus, drawish piece
exchanges would tend toward... a mere draw.

Of course the pawns on White's Queen side
can be defended, but that is precisely the
point-- that they must be defended, and this
ties pieces to defense. Of all the pieces one
does not want on Team Defense, the Queen
is at the top of the list; she is supposed to
quarterback (a 'Murican term meaning lead
or direct) Team Offense in crushing attacks
which ultimately lead to a chicken-dance in
the endzone.

* It was very strange to see the wacky Nc3
in the opening; most players try to get some
advantage as White, or at least avoid easy
piece exchanges unless they are angling
for a mere draw.

I'd play standard 4.Bxd7 Qxd7, and then Maroczy
bind *5.c4.

I'm told that the opening I want to learn, the
Modern Defense, has a serious drawback in
that White can steer into a Maroczy bind.

Well, I'm here to tell you that fighting such
a bind is not a problem for me; for many
years, I have endured much worse than
mere binds-- crushing King side attacks...
devastating good-Knight versus bad-Bishop
endings... no space in which to maneuver,
etc., etc. A mere pawn bind would be a
marked improvement.

the game itself was dull as mud! *Take a
peek at my games and you will see how
a /real/ masochist plays chess--bold,
exciting stuff... like a James Bond movie!
Or like the movie, Dr. Strangelove.

It takes a masochist user to deal with the
GetClub user interface.

I recently switched to playing Baby level,
and what a difference! The games do not
crash, and I don't have to wait for centuries
before my opponent responds. Plus, I get
to win every game now-- often in brilliant
fashion. I am like Paul Morphy. My games
rock. I rock. I am like Duke Nukem, (you
Russians wouldn't understand), too. Or
Ahhhnold Swarzenegger. I terminated the
GetClub program.

-- help bot

Old February 26th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)

On Feb 24, 1:58*am, help bot
likes (chess) violence:

* This game of Mr. Wlod's was played
against a real, live human being-- which
is quite a different matter from what I've
been doing lately on GetClub. * *But the
game itself was dull as mud! * *Take a
peek at my games and you will see how
a /real/ masochist plays chess-- bold,
exciting stuff... like a James Bond movie!
Or like the movie, Dr. Strangelove.

* -- help bot

Here you go *yes, this time I am white):

server: kurnik
white: wlod (e8e9)
black: xxx

1.e4 c6

oooooops, I don't know *anything* about
Caro-Kann (even spelling it is a challenge
for me).

2.d4 g6

What's that? Where is 2... d5! ?

3.c4 e6

Hm, now, that I am writing this commentary :-),
it brings Botvinnik to my mind, perhaps for no
good reason.

4.Nc3 Bg7 5.h3 Nd7

Rybka surely would not like my 5.h3.

6.f4 a6 7.Nf3 Ngf6 8.Bd3 b5 9.Be3 O-O
10.O-O Bb7 11.e5 de 12.fe Ne8 13.Qd2 Ne8
14.Bh6 Nb6 15.c5 Nd5 16.Ne4 f5 17.ef Nexf6
18.Nd6 Ra7 19.Bxg7 Kxg7 20.Ng5 Bc8
21.Rae1 Re7 22.Re5 h6 23.Rfe1 hxg5
24.Qxg5 Kh8 25.Qxg6 Rg7 26.Qh6+ Nh7

I gave away my knight for 2 pawns. I have 2
passed pawns. The opponent's king is denuded.
Altogether, it's not a bad deal. And it's
fun to have the initiative.

27.Rh5 Nf6 28.Rh4 Qe7 29.Rf1 Ng8
30.Rxf8 Qxf8 31.Qxh7+ Rxh7 32.Rxh7#

Wow, curtains.

Regards,

Wlod

Old February 26th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc
help bot

On Feb 25, 7:14*pm, "Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)"
wrote:

Here you go *yes, this time I am white):

server: kurnik
white: wlod (e8e9)
black: xxx

1.e4 c6

oooooops, I don't know *anything* about
Caro-Kann (even spelling it is a challenge
for me).

2.d4 g6

What's that? Where is 2... d5! ?

3.c4 e6

Hm, now, that I am writing this commentary :-),
it brings Botvinnik to my mind, perhaps for no
good reason.

4.Nc3 Bg7 *5.h3 Nd7

Rybka surely would not like my 5.h3.

Actually, it is Black's ...Nd7 that Rybka
particularly dislikes (so much so that it
refuses to even let me enter the move).

6.f4 a6 *7.Nf3 Ngf6 *8.Bd3 b5 *9.Be3 O-O
10.O-O Bb7 *11.e5 de *12.fe Ne8 *13.Qd2 Ne8
14.Bh6 Nb6 *15.c5 Nd5 *16.Ne4 f5 *17.ef Nexf6
18.Nd6 Ra7 *19.Bxg7 Kxg7 *20.Ng5 Bc8
21.Rae1 Re7 *22.Re5 h6 *23.Rfe1 hxg5
24.Qxg5 Kh8 *25.Qxg6 Rg7 *26.Qh6+ Nh7

I gave away my knight for 2 pawns. I have 2
passed pawns. The opponent's king is denuded.
Altogether, it's not a bad deal. And it's
fun to have the initiative.

27.Rh5 Nf6 *28.Rh4 Qe7 29.Rf1 Ng8
30.Rxf8 Qxf8 *31.Qxh7+ Rxh7 *32.Rxh7#

I tried to guess where you went wrong in
giving the moves, but it was too difficult for
me because there is more than one error.

Anyway, in my guesswork I discovered
that Rybka (or is it Arena?) thinks the
opening bounced around a lot, starting
off as a Caro-Kann, jumping to a Modern
Defense, and then finally, perhaps,
finishing up as a Pirc. I suspect that
Black may have intended to play some
sort of hedgehog defense, but he ended
up with more "swine" than "hedge".

-- help bot
Old February 26th 09, 07:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)

Saorry, especially help bot, for messing up
the moves. Let me correct them. Already 3... e6
was in error, it was 3... d6 -- of course :-),
Botvinnik didn't play anything like 3... e6.
And it was 13... e6 (not 13...Ne8 again after
12...Ne8).

*******************************

server: kurnik
white: wlod (e8e9)
black: xxx

1.e4 c6 2.d4 g6 3.c4 d6 4.Nc3 Bg7 *5.h3 Nd7
6.f4 a6 *7.Nf3 Ngf6 *8.Bd3 b5 *9.Be3 O-O
10.O-O Bb7 *11.e5 de *12.fe Ne8 *13.Qd2 e6
14.Bh6 Nb6 *15.c5 Nd5 *16.Ne4 f5 *17.ef Nexf6
18.Nd6 Ra7 *19.Bxg7 Kxg7 *20.Ng5 Bc8
21.Rae1 Re7 *22.Re5 h6 *23.Rfe1 hxg5
24.Qxg5 Kh8 *25.Qxg6 Rg7 *26.Qh6+ Nh7
27.Rh5 Nf6 *28.Rh4 Qe7 29.Rf1 Ng8
30.Rxf8 Qxf8 *31.Qxh7+ Rxh7 *32.Rxh7#

Was it a help mate? Black had a difficult position,
but possibly a won position anyway(?). That it was
difficult, you could see after 29.Rf1. There
was a threat of Nxc8 and wins Nf6. Was 29.Nf5
better? Looks tempting but somehow it worried me.

Best regards,

Wlod