King's Indian Defence, Averbakh Variation

Old July 8th 03, 07:30 PM
Tibor Giorgiev

Default King's Indian Defence, Averbakh Variation

In one of my OTB recent games I came across with an unfamilliar move
(10.Nxd5!?) in a King's Indian Defence (Averbakh Variation). The moves were
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Be2 0-0 6.Bg5 Na6 7.Qd2 e5 8.d5 c6 9.h4
cxd5 10.Nxd5

I was very surprised since in this position I only knew 9... cxd5 10.cxd5

Did anyone ever see this move (10.Nxd5)? How good is it?

My reply was 10... Nc5. I wonder if this was a good answer.

I would like your opinion on this.

Thank you,
Tibor

Old July 11th 03, 05:21 PM
Tony T. Warnock

I'm not sure White is developed enough to play 10.Nd5. Of course, there
may be some specific move sequence that I've overlooked that justifies
the move.

After your 10...Nc5, White will have some difficulty with the KP. Either
f3 or Bf3 will become necessary. Either interferes with using the
Bishop to support a later h5. Perhaps White can continue (as in one of
the posted games) with Bxf6.

White would like to play Nc3 to get some pressure against d6, but that
fails to Nc5xe4.