I finally beat Hiarcs 8 Bareev

Old December 19th 03, 02:34 PM
Alberich

Default I finally beat Hiarcs 8 Bareev

I finally beat Hiarcs 8 Bareev, the version that comes with Hiarcs 9.
I've been playing alot of Shuffle Chess positions along with Crazyhouse
Chess on the FICS server. I've been having both good and bad results.
But what really interested me was whether or not playing those variants
would have a beneficial side effect when playing against the strong
software engines like Fritz, Junior, Shredder, Tiger, and Hiarcs.

Well, for this experiment, I chose to play Hiarcs 8 Bareev, the strong
positional engine at a fixed depth of 5 moves, (which is the default).
According to the computer analysis after the game was over, my fourth
move, 4.Bg5 was a novelty and I spent the longest time on my 12th move,
12.Qxd5. Any suggestions on my play would be greatly appreciated.

[Event ""Fixed Depth 5""]
[Site "MyComputer"]
[Date "2003.12.19"]
[Round ""]
[White "Alberich"]
[Black "Hiarcs8 Bareev"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "E60"]
[PlyCount "81"]

1.c4 g6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nf3 d6 4.Bg5 Nc6 5.Nc3 Bg7 6.e4 h6 7.Bc1 Bg4 8.Be2
Nd7 9.Be3 e6 10.Qd2 f5 11.d5 exd5 12.Qxd5 Qe7 13.O-O Bxc3 14.bxc3 fxe4
15.h3 exf3 16.gxf3 Bxh3 17.Rfd1 O-O-O 18.Rab1 Nc5 19.Qd2 Bf5 20.Rb5 Qh4
21.Bxc5 a6 22.Rxb7 Kxb7 23.Qb2+ Ka8 24.Be3 Bc8 25.Rb1 Rde8 26.Bd1 Qxc4
27.Bb3 Qh4 28.Bd5 Qg5+ 29.Bxg5 Re1+ 30.Rxe1 Bb7 31.Be3 g5 32.Rb1 Nb4 33.
Qxb4 Bxd5 34.Qa5 Bb7 35.Qxc7 Rb8 36.Qxd6 Rh8 37.c4 a5 38.c5 Rh7 39.c6
Rc7 40.Qxc7 Bxc6 41.Qb8# 1-0

Old December 19th 03, 05:59 PM
CeeBee

Alberich wrote in rec.games.chess.analysis:

I finally beat Hiarcs 8 Bareev, the version that comes with Hiarcs 9.

You beat it in a handicapped mode, to be more precisely. People might
wonder where faulty play of Hiarcs like 27...Qh4?? came from.

But what really interested me was whether or not playing those variants
would have a beneficial side effect when playing against the strong
software engines like Fritz, Junior, Shredder, Tiger, and Hiarcs.

What about a move like 15.h3? Isn't this simple and standard calculation
abilities? If giving away more than a full piece shows something about
your experiment, maybe you should reconsider what you wanted to
achieve.....

If you want to prove something about playing against a strong engine -
_do_ play against a strong engine. "Hiarcs 8 Bariev" is just a name if you
dumb it down that much.

Good luck.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old December 20th 03, 01:41 AM
CeeBee

Alberich wrote in rec.games.chess.analysis:

It's funny you're calling this a handicap match. But I didn't dumb
down the engine one bit. I can't find anywhere in the help files
anything at all about playing at fixed depth to be considered
handicap.

You're quite a character. Really.

A handicap isn't a handicap because the help file says so, it's a handicap
because you restrict the strenght of the engine by disabling it to search
as deep as it wants in the available time.

5 ply will be reached in a fraction of a second on today's hardware.
You're forcing the engine to play some "super bullet" time controls and
expect normal moves. From the game you can see it doesn't. It oversees
serious blunders and even misses simple mates in a few moves.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old December 20th 03, 01:40 PM
RaistlinX

On 19 Dec 2003 11:31:02 -0600, Alberich
wrote:

It's funny you're calling this a handicap match. But I didn't dumb down
the engine one bit. I can't find anywhere in the help files anything at
all about playing at fixed depth to be considered handicap.
Alright...next time I'll play Hiarcs 8 Bareev in a 90 minute match and
then we'll see. Okay?

You dumbed it down a WHOLE lot only letting it search to a depth of 5
ply! If you want to brag about beating the engine play a rated game
with the playing strength "unleased" at the long time controls. When
you do that, let us know. (Not holding my breath...)