New game...(newb)

Old December 28th 03, 03:10 PM
Ah Fooy

Default New game...(newb)

Fixed depth (1) Is this how many moves ahead it "thinks"?
Please offer suggestions. I think I just might be getting better at this.
Why does it say "black mates"? Isn't that a little... well, backwards?
[Event "A game of chess?"]

[Site "Computer"]

[Date "2003.12.28"]

[Round "?"]

[White "Ahfooy"]

[Black "Arasan 7.2"]

[Result "0-1"]

[ECO "Not sure what ECO means"]

1. e4 c5 2. Bc4 e6 3. d3 d5 4. Nc3 dxc4 5. Nf3 cxd3 6. cxd3 Nc6

7. O-O Bd6 8. Be3 b6 9. Re1 Nf6 10. Bg5 O-O 11. Qd2 Bb7 12. e5 h6

13. Bh4 g5 14. Bg3 g4 15. exd6 gxf3 16. gxf3 h5 17. Qh6 Nd4 18. Rac1

Bxf3 19. Qe3 Qd7 20. Qg5+ Kh8 21. Be5 Rad8 22. Bxf6+ Kh7 23. Bxd8

Rxd8 24. Re5 Qxd6 25. Rce1 Kh8 26. Qh6+ Kg8 27. Rg5#

0-1 {Black mates}

Old December 28th 03, 07:57 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Ah Fooy" wrote in message news:0vBHb.22179

Fixed depth (1) Is this how many moves ahead it "thinks"?
Please offer suggestions. I think I just might be getting better at this.

Why does it say "black mates"? Isn't that a little... well, backwards?

Since you were so amused at an analysis of mine, I'll do you a back-handed
favor and do one of your games. However, be advised, I'm not very good at
helping beginners, but I'll try my best.

If, in your chess life, you merely stop getting worse, you have accomplished
something of great merit.

A fixed depth search of '1' isn't truly an "I'll make this move and
consequences be damned approach" but it's close.

[Event "A game of chess?"]

[Site "Computer"]

[Date "2003.12.28"]

[Round "?"]

[White "Ahfooy"]

[Black "Arasan 7.2"]

[Result "0-1"]

[ECO "Not sure what ECO means"]

ECO is an abbreviation for Encyclopedia of Chess Openings, a ever growing
reference to opening lines, catalogued by ECO #, for easier reference.

I think the closest this game got to a code is B27: Sicilian, but that was
trashed on Move #2. Maybe next time.

1. e4 c5

Not a bad start, King pawn games are very straight forward center-based
games with ample opportunity for piece development and aggressive play by
white if desired.

Black's response is also charming, it is an asymmetrical response with vast
weight of theory and OTB play-action.

2. Bc4 e6

Needle screeching across the record White's second move is a mess in that
it places a minor piece in a position, early on, to be attacked, forcing it
to move wasting time (tempo) and Black can respond gaining tempo.

There is nothing preventing ... d5, which will drive away the bishop,
securing the center, which is a very important part of the board, from the
center, you can go anywhere. Think of it like the high ground on a civil war
battle field. You personally might not think it's all that important, but
your opponent certainly does.

2. Bc4 is a decent move in other openings, but not after 1. ... c5.

3. d3 d5

This is a bad result for white. White can not capture on d5 with the
e-pawn, for Black's e-pawn will recapture and white is worse off. The bishop
must move away to b5 (with check impotently) and hope for the best.

Black now has the initiative, and this is an important step for Black in a
game. This is when the roles of 'action-reaction' swap. Typically, white
makes a move, laden with threat and innuendo, and Black responds, dulling
the threat and ignoring the innuendo, and hoping for a wee threat of his
own. When Black effectively neutralizes the threats, or has some of his own
that need attention, when that happens in the opening, it's called equality,
and it's good for Black.

4. Nc3 dxc4

Don't hang pieces. Bad for the material score.

5. Nf3 cxd3
6. cxd3 Nc6

Okie, you lost a bishop, next time, keep him where he belongs and try to
hold on to it for more than 5 moves. Not a hard goal, right?

7. O-O Bd6
8. Be3 b6

8. Be3 is least recommended...it doesn't stake out any more room or board
space that white already controls. It puts a piece on the e-file, which
white will likely control, clogging it.

Instead, a more general move, such as 8. Re1 or perhaps 8. Bg5, gaining room
with a timely attack.

9. Re1 Nf6
10. Bg5 O-O

Here's where the depth=1 handicap pays off. 11. e5 Be7 12. exf6 Bxf6 13.
Bxf6 Qxf6 and things are somewhat more balanced.

11. Qd2 Bb7
12. e5 h6

Here's an interesting moment...instead of the panicked bishop running all
around: 13. Bxf6 be7 (13. ... gxf6? 14. exd6 Kh7 15. Qf4) 14. bxe7 Qxe7 15.
Rad1 and White has been dealt back in the game.

Play out these variations, this is a very critical moment in OTB chess play,
it's at junctions like these that combinations appear out of nowhere,
completely changing the feel of the game. Granted, these are complex moves,
but if you want to stop getting worse, this is how you do it.

13. Bh4 g5

Black is weakening his position to chase that bishop around (and push that
piece loss over it's horizon, which it's doing a bang-up job):

14. exd6 gxh4 15. Qxh6 Nh7 16. Re4 and white is again, back in the game.

14. Bg3 g4

Another opportunity to pillage black! 15. Qxh6! Here's some interesting
choices Black has to fight off this powerful incursion, all of them game
losing:

15. ... gxf3?? 16. Qg5+ Kh7 (16. ... Kh8? 17. exf6 Qxf6 (17. ... Rg8 18.
Qh5#) 18. Qxf6 Mate in 5.

15. ... Be7?? 16. exf6 Bxf6 17. Re4! gxf3 18. Rg4+ Bg5 19. Rxg5+ Qxg5 20.
Qxg5+ 1-0

15. ... Bc7 16. Qg5+ Kh7 17. exf6 Qxf6 18. Qxf6 Bd8 19. Ng5+ Mate in 9.

Probably the best choice for Black's reply to 15. Qxh6 is ... Nh7. At the
very least, it's an energetic defense. This line is pretty funky, don't
worry if it gives you pause. To see this OTB is GrandMasterly.

15. ... Nh7 16. Re4 f5 17. exf6ep Nxf6 18. Bh4 gxf3 19. Bxf6 Qxf6 20. Rg4+
Kf7 21. Qh7+ Ke8 22. Qxb7 Bxh2+ 23. Kf1 Rd8 24. Qxc6+ Ke7 and white's up
with a project of a game left.

15. exd6 gxf3
16. gxf3 h5

16. ... Kh7 keeps white's next move from happening.

17. Qh6 Nd4

17. Qg5+ and 17. Bh4 are options as well. 17. ... Nd4 is a mistake, 18. Be5
has punch.

18. Be5 Nf5 (18. ... Nxf3+? 19. Kf1 Nxh2+ 20. Ke2 Bf3+ 21. Kd2 Bg4 (threats
everywhere) 22. Re3 and Black can't survive long at all; 22. ... Bf5 23.
Rg1+ Mate in 9.

18. Rac1 Bxf3
19. Qe3 Qd7

19. ... Ng4! White's cooked.

20. Qg5+ Kh8
21. Be5 Rad8

Someone missed 21. Qxf6+!

For now: 21. ... Rg8, skewering the Queen and White.

22. Bxf6+ Kh7
23. Bxd8 Rxd8

23. Qg7#.

24. Re5 Qxd6

24. Ne4, setting up a fork and a mate on f6.

25. Rce1 Kh8
26. Qh6+ Kg8
27. Rg5#

0-1 {Black mates}

It should say 1-0, since white won. Why did it say 0-1?

I apologize if some of the lines were a bit much, for a beginner, it can be
overwhelming, but that's one of the joys of chess, even in low-rated games,
there's always something worth investigating, clearly this game had a wealth
of tactical opportunities on both sides.

Keep at it, and try not to hang pieces. Scratch that, don't hang any pieces,
ever.

Old December 28th 03, 09:56 PM
Ah Fooy

Thank you! I really enjoied your analysis. You're definately my favorite.
I'll take your words to heart.
news:[email protected]_s04...